3 month old African grey

skylibs

Oct 17, 2022
Parrots
Toto : African Grey
Hi, I'm new to the group - we have a 3 month old african grey who we picked up this weekend - his previous owner would feed him warm milk with a banana in it for dinner! We are giving him one formula feed on an evening instead and he is eating pellets/fruit/veg mostly. Our concern is he is often napping or sleepy eyes - is this normal because he is so young?
Thank you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dont know where you are in this wide world but he is very young yet, I think too young to be on solids already. If you can get it, get some baby parrot formula and follow the directions on the can. at 3 months, he would be having 2=3 feedings a day, and you can offer solids if he wants them. Let him determine when he is ready to switch. If this parrot has been fed milk, like cows milk, he likely has some issues with his biomeres and gut bacteria because parrots cannot handle milk. Strongly urge you have him checked over by a qualified Avian Vet, not a cat and dog vet.

OP
skylibs

skylibs

Oct 17, 2022
Parrots
Toto : African Grey
Dont know where you are in this wide world but he is very young yet, I think too young to be on solids already. If you can get it, get some baby parrot formula and follow the directions on the can. at 3 months, he would be having 2=3 feedings a day, and you can offer solids if he wants them. Let him determine when he is ready to switch. If this parrot has been fed milk, like cows milk, he likely has some issues with his biomeres and gut bacteria because parrots cannot handle milk. Strongly urge you have him checked over by a qualified Avian Vet, not a cat and dog vet.
We are in scotland - we have Kaytee exact hand feeding formula and have been feeding him as directed by the company. His poops are good and seem normal but tomorrow I will try him on an extra daily feeding and see if he accepts it. Thank you very much for your help :) He has also been chewing pellets/seeds etc and tearing fruit and veg up (though not sure how much of it he actually eats). We'll continue to weigh him daily too and get him registered and seen by an avian vet when we can. Thanks again

Most Reactions