?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interesting discussion with a Vet. By the way, what is the likelihood that this Vet is not a Certified Avian Vet?

FYI: Parrots feet are not designed to perch on round 'dowel' shapes. They are designed to grasp natural wood branches that vary in diameter.

If you are interested in what the diet recommendation is for an Amazon, I would recommend going to the Amazon Forum and opening the highlighted in light blue Thread Titled: I Love Amazons - ... Within that very large Thread you will find a Segment regarding an Amazon's Diet. After reading that Segment, you will likely find many other Segments that will provide you with additional information regarding living and loving Amazons.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Parrots and birds in general have very few taste buds, appearance and smell to some extent are the mostly more important to what they find appealing. They supposedly have around 350 taste buds, where we have over 9000. They're designed to distinguish ripe fruit and vegetables by color, and are attracted to anything brightly colored, which would signal that what they eat is good and ripe.

As for tasting capsicum, the "spice" in hot peppers, it's accepted that they don't taste it, and it's thought this is an evolutionary thing so that they're more likely to spread the seeds and propagate the plant, being very messy eaters. My birds love spices, and I mostly use good quality cinnamon.

As for perches, their feet are designed for gripping and manipulating objects, but they lack leg strength compared to something like a raptor, who are designed to lift and carry, as well as pierce and shred their prey. For parrots to keep their feet healthy, a variety of perch sizes, with varying diameter and texture helps keep them healthy. Strictly dowel type perches don't offer enough to exercise the feet and can create pressure sores because they're constantly on the same parts of the feet. No single type of perch is appropriate, round, flat, whatever, they always need a variety. Natural branch style perches are the best though, providing the most variety and texture.

I don't want to speak ill of your vet but it seems some info he has might be a little misguided. I'm not sure if he's an avian vet or a regular or exotic vet, but while vets are required to continue educating themselves, avian science and medicine is often neglected by vets other than strictly avian vets.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
We can feed whole chilli peppers to our parrots which is fine if they like them but would blow our heads off because as Aquila says of the difference in taste buds.

You can feed parrots soaked and properly cooked beans, a little cooked chicken, a well cooked hard boiled egg. See link http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

It is Ok to add some spices to a parrots foods if they like them, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger? Some are supposed to have health benefits but that is not confirmed.

As stated parrots need perches of different types, materials and sizes to keep feet healthy. As stated above to make them sit on the same sized round perch forever will create sores. The addition of a pedi perch is also good to keep nails trim. Some wild parrots not only spend a lot of time flying but also on the ground feeding which is flat. A flat perch can be added to your cage if your parrot likes this type of perch but along with the other types. Never just one size and type. If your bird spends a lot of time in one place have a swap round.

Your myth is just that a myth!

Sometimes it isnt the message but the messenger?

Last edited:
OP
K

kiwithecockapoo

Jul 18, 2017
Parrots
Sun Conure
Thank you for all of the replies. This helps a lot. My bird's do stand on different perches everyday and occasionally I'd give them "feet massages" where I gently rub their feet to prevent any foot ache.
As for the spice, I give them pepper but they don't seem to care for it as much. I'm not sure if it's because they can't taste it or if it's because they don't like it but they do love tearing them apart and making a mess.
And the vet was an exotic animal/ avian vet. But sometimes it seemed like he didn't really care for my baby bird as much since he grabbed him and held him while using his hand gestures. My baby bird doesn't like being handled anymore now. :(
But either way, I will try to follow these advices as best as I can. Thank you again.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Re spice why not try one of the others? You can change vets if you are not happy with this one's manner, OK?

OP
K

kiwithecockapoo

Jul 18, 2017
Parrots
Sun Conure
This vet isn't the vet that I'd normally go to. I just went there because I got a free exam for the bird there.
And I don't really hate the vet either. He was in a rush to see other patients so I can understand that.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Go to where you feel happy with how the CAV handles your bird and their manner with you. Believe me when things are bad and you need a CAV it is important.

Most Reactions