After effects of a possible concussion?

araiqa

Mar 9, 2012
Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Parrots
Alexandrian Ringneck Parakeet
My Alexandrian parakeet is in a habit of flying around the house & we haven't gotten his feathers snipped; so he's usually all over the place whenever he's out of his cage.
Today he ran into a glass door & a wooden one when he was following me into the kitchen :(
He still made there but hit the floor once he ran into wooden door.
He seemed fine at the time. But then after a couple of minutes, he was droppy. Like paralyzed on one side droppy.
He splayed his right leg & right whole feather as soon as I put him down on the couch. Followed by involuntary dropping.
I tried to touch him. he usually bites or licks whenever someone tries to. But this time he didn't. Its like he was unable to move. I picked him up. Held him close to me.
He started moving his head around after a while.
Responding to the sounds.
Even got up on shoulder by himself & sat there.
But didn't make noise like usual.
I'm worried. Is there some nerve damage? Or is it just a mild concussion?
It'd be nice if someone could help me out.
I'm unable to take him to a vet for because my parents are just too stingy/cheap/self-proclaimed poor. But I'm taking him to see a vet first thing in the morning.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm very sorry to hear of this. But, I think a vet is your only option. None of us here are vets and not able to treat a head injury. Until you can get him there, I would keep him in something like a clear acrylic storage container (put holes in the lid) with a towel and keep him quiet. You might also put a heating pad underneath it in case he is in shock.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Birds are built for collisions into tree branches & such. But, if he's acting odd, a vet visit is the best action. Keep him quiet, and calm, as best you can.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
If he managed to climb to your shoulder i would say he is suffering concussion & of course shock. If he is still affected & showing symptoms in the morning take him to the Vet.

I have had this happen many times with young chicks learning to fly. Usually all is OK.

You know i really hate to say this but if we going to keep animals at all, we must have some funds put aside for emergencies. You never know when the unforseen is going to happen.

Most Reactions