Aggressive Bird

HadrianDC

Mar 13, 2015
Morgantown, Pa
Parrots
Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
So my bird, Skeeter, has always disliked my roommate but lately it's gotten worse. Skeeter just attacked him because there were in the same hallway. I may be forced to get rid of him if he doesn't get better. And Skeeter only has this problem with my roommate, no one else. What can I do to make Skeeter like my roommate?

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
That's a tough one--sometimes birds do not like people, but they should never be attacking them. If I were you I would try this: Start off by getting them in the same room. Have the roommate move closer to the bird then give him a treat. Get closer and closer and give him treats and praise all the way. Have the roommate feed it treats so the roommate is associated with good things. If this doesn't work you may need to analyze WHY the bird is acting this way. Is it trying to protect you from the roommate? Does it consider you it's mate and the roomie a threat? Was it mistreated by someone who looked like the roomie in the past? Has it always disliked the roomie or is this a new thing? If it's new, when did it start? What changed then? Is the bird hormonal? Try to look at it from the birds point of view and please, please don't get rid of him because of this. Whatever it is, it's not the bird's fault--they are wild animals. You just have to figure out what's going on in its head. Try googling for bird stores or breeders in your area. My local store has a bird behavioralist on staff who offers help sessions. Give the guy a chance before you rehome him-he will miss his flock badly!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I don't know that you can make a bird like someone he dislikes without your roommate being actively involved in the reconciliation.....

You realize that in a lot of cases, our birds are smarter than we think they are...about 10 years ago I rehomed a MBC that I'd given to a 12 yo girl as a BD gift.....Buddy didn't like her boyfriend & would try to attack him every chance he got.....about a year after buddy moved in she got rid of the BF, so, unless your roommate is amenable to helping work this out, you are probably going to have to restrict Skeeter to his cage/your room.....

Good luck.....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Is Skeeter flighted? If so you may need to make the hard choice of clipping Skeeter. There's always ways to go around it instead of rehoming cause that's not always the answer. If not just keep them away from one another.

Most Reactions

Latest posts