Amazon & budgies together in an aviary?

dluna465

Sep 23, 2019
Planning on getting a aviary built for my mom's Mexican Red Headed Amazon so there would be more room for it to move around, and I was wondering if I could also throw in her budgies with him. Can I intergrate them together or is that something that is not recommended?

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Re: Mexican Red Headed Amazon...

I wouldn't recommend that. They may not get along and might fight.
Someone could get seriously injured or killed.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In short, No! Big Birds easily hurt Small Birds! Even if they do not mean too!
*** FYI: Assure that you spec materials that do not contain Heavy Metals!

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
I know someone that has an amazon which is old and mostly blind, he was in the same enclosure and they did fine, they were best buds. The cockatiels since passed away but had nothing to do with the amazon. It is very risky though and I would recommend it at all.

On another note, my mother had budgies in a cage and hahns macaws in the cage next to them. The budgie ended up getting its head stuck in the bars and during that time one of the hahns macaws decided to rip that poor thing's beak right off. Poor budgie didn't have the top part of his beak meaning it couldn't eat by itself. My mother had to put it out of its misery, she still has nightmares about it.

OP
D

dluna465

Sep 23, 2019
Thank you all for your input. Im not gonna risk any of them getting injured. I'll keep the Amazon seperate, but is there any other bird that would make good cage mates for the budgies or is having different birds species together not recommened at all?

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
Thank you all for your input. Im not gonna risk any of them getting injured. I'll keep the Amazon seperate, but is there any other bird that would make good cage mates for the budgies or is having different birds species together not recommened at all?

If seen many different types of little birds together, usually in a whole bird room though. The cockatiel I used to have is living with a friend and he's best buds with a love bird. I've seen cockatiels and budgies do fine together but again this was in a whole room so they can be far from each other if they wanted. Not sure about having them in the same cage though. :grey::greenyellow:

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
I know someone that has an amazon which is old and mostly blind, he was in the same enclosure and they did fine, they were best buds. The cockatiels since passed away but had nothing to do with the amazon. It is very risky though and I would recommend it at all.

On another note, my mother had budgies in a cage and hahns macaws in the cage next to them. The budgie ended up getting its head stuck in the bars and during that time one of the hahns macaws decided to rip that poor thing's beak right off. Poor budgie didn't have the top part of his beak meaning it couldn't eat by itself. My mother had to put it out of its misery, she still has nightmares about it.

Couldn't she take him/her to a vet? If there isn't one open all weekend that is a dilemma I've wondered about. How DO you euthanise a bird at home in an emergency without the bird knowing or thinking you're harming them?

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I'd probably use CO2. But certainly I would google it first. CO2 is what is usually suggested for at-home rodent euthanasia.

Yeah, one of the few bites I took from Crayon, an elderly blue front amazon I adopted years ago, was when I had her and Alex out at the same time. He flew over to join her on top of her cage and I dove over to shove my hand between the two right before Crayon could bite him. I got the bite instead, and ut was a hard one. She would have seriously hurt or killed him. And she was probably the sweetest bird I've ever known. I don't risk it at all these days. Littlies and big beaks are SEPARATE at all times here now.

Most Reactions