American plantain leaves.

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
So we have a lot of American plantain leaves in our yard and it looks like something our budgies might like but nothing online says itā€™s ok and nothing says itā€™s bad, would you guys happen to know if itā€™s safe for them to eat? Iā€™m not sure it would be safe for them because online it says cats and dogs can only have a small amount of it, but then again parrots and cats do not eat the same things. Hereā€™s a picture of my budgies.
3A90A41C-30D0-4FFF-A392-A27A3CDE3EDA.jpeg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I dunno but I LOVE the picture of your budgies just chillin!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I don't know if it's safe but your birdies are so cute( had to mention it), what are their names?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
According to some sources it's safe for poultry, and on another forum a thread says it's safe, but the post is almost 10 years old.

OP
Kitty16

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
I don't know if it's safe but your birdies are so cute( had to mention it), what are their names?
The light blue one is Skittle (She has a white cere) and sheā€™s the female, the darker blue is Milo (He has a blue cere) and heā€™s a male, we decided their names after like 2 days maybe 3 because we wanted to see what names felt right. ā¤ļø
7ECA7866-B3FD-4E39-BEB4-F21392BCC74A.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Plantain leaves are edible, but the larger ones will be tougher. I would feed them if I was sure that no herbicides have been used, but I would wash them.

The other concern I have is with the avian flu outbreak. I wonā€™t let my parrots touch anything that a wild bird may have contacted or pooped on. So Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a good idea to feed the wild plantain leaves. Can you feed them romaine lettuce or spinach instead?

Most Reactions