Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It seems like a lot of these "Bird-tubers" can be very forceful when it comes to recommending pellets. They say things like "this is trash for your bird" or that "any pellets containing fillers are HORRIBLE and should never be fed to your bird".. TBH It hurts and it's difficult for a kid like me to get these expensive pellets like TOP's, not only because it's expensive but because since I live in a different country(South Africa), these pellets are even MORE expensive since it's been shipped, so I am NOT getting it! I don't know what to feed them since it's a choice between getting lower quality pellets that are more affordable and can help me save money to take better care of them, or getting these pellet brands that are super expensive... It's because of these YouTubers that I feel sometimes like a terrible parront and that I could do better...

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

1642948084097.png
While it isn't the best it's better than some of the other stuff available.

"ingredients:
Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Niacin, Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking aid), Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Vegetable Oil, Rosemary Extract, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca shidigera Extract, Dried Yeast, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Propionic Acid (preservative), Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Tartaric Acid, and Natural Apple Flavouring."

2. Nature's nest
1642948250602.png

It's not the best but my parents said they will buy it for me so I don't have to pay

"Ingredients​

Maize, Soya, Bran, Apple Concentrate, Vitamins, Limestone, Rooibos Leaves, Kinofos, Blanched Giant Peanuts, Zeolite, Methionine.

Vitamins:
Vitamin A , Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K3, Vitamin B1 – Thiamine, Vitamin B2 – Riboflavin, Vitamin PP – Niacin, Vitamin B5 – Panthothenic Acid, Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine, Vitamin B9 – Folic Acid, Vitamin H – Biotin, Vitamin B12 – Cyanocabalamine, Vitamin C, Choline

Trace and Macro Elements:
Ferrous, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium

Additives:
Immunowall, Salt, Antioxydants "

(my birds had this before and enjoy it, My avian vet recommends it and she personally knows the person who makes it so idk)

3. Avi-plus

1642948619953.png

(this is their current brand I feed them) I can't find the ingredients but the first few ingredients look something like soy by-products(EESSH!) specially prepared soy/wheat etc. so it's definitely a no-no for me

ANDD the last one is nutribird P15
1642949076729.png

Ingredient list is

Cereals(bit suspicious that the aren't very specific:unsure:), seeds, nuts (peanut kernels 10%), fruit (fruit 5%), vegetables, oils and fats, minerals, clay(um ok), various sugars(??), MOS(what da heck is that??), yucca

What do you guys think? Please tell me if you have suggestions!

(Edit: I decided to use roudybush)

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you disliked the U-Tubers, your likely are not going to like me at all!

Parrots are expensive!!

You have now found the first reality: Food!
The Second reality: They waste as much as they eat!
Avian Vet Care is the Third reality: Avian Vet Care is expense!
Avian Medication is the Fourth reality: Avian Medication is expense!
Cages and Perches is the Fifth reality: Yup, they are expensive also!
Toys and stuff to turn in to tiny bits is the Six reality: Yup, expensive, also!

Oh: Fresh Food get really expensive when out of season!

And that is just the beginning of the cost items that ownership of a Parrot is going to entail.

Companion Parrots in their Natural Range are highly selective on what they eat and common drop /waste as much as they eat.

The term Shammers is an interesting classification as it is so commonly used with a very wide brush stoke. It is also commonly used on others when they disagree with one's own opinion.

My recommendation for an Amazon's diet (as found deep within the Amazon Forum, highlighted Threads at the top (I Love Amazons), is very expense as it places a hide value of Fresh Foods and high-end Seeds, Grains, specialty nuts (not peanuts), etc.

Parrots are high-energy creatures and are designed to quickly process food into energy, which places a high-value of the quality of food they eat!

Vastly inexpensive food source rarely have the quality of chemicals /minerals that Parrot Body's need to keep them healthy.

I fully admit to being Hard Core Amazon Parrot Snob. I fully admit to being a strong believer is providing my Amazon a very healthy and therefor an expense diet. I full admit to pushing that level of care when asked. If that makes me a Shammer, I will proudly where that label!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Out of those, I think you should go with Roudybush...
It's pretty good, not the best, but will be fine.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
If you disliked the U-Tubers, your likely are not going to like me at all!

Parrots are expensive!!

You have now found the first reality: Food!
The Second reality: They waste as much as they eat!
Avian Vet Care is the Third reality: Avian Vet Care is expense!
Avian Medication is the Fourth reality: Avian Medication is expense!
Cages and Perches is the Fifth reality: Yup, they are expensive also!
Toys and stuff to turn in to tiny bits is the Six reality: Yup, expensive, also!

Oh: Fresh Food get really expensive when out of season!

And that is just the beginning of the cost items that ownership of a Parrot is going to entail.

Companion Parrots in their Natural Range are highly selective on what they eat and common drop /waste as much as they eat.

The term Shammers is an interesting classification as it is so commonly used with a very wide brush stoke. It is also commonly used on others when they disagree with one's own opinion.

My recommendation for an Amazon's diet (as found deep within the Amazon Forum, highlighted Threads at the top (I Love Amazons), is very expense as it places a hide value of Fresh Foods and high-end Seeds, Grains, specialty nuts (not peanuts), etc.

Parrots are high-energy creatures and are designed to quickly process food into energy, which places a high-value of the quality of food they eat!

Vastly inexpensive food source rarely have the quality of chemicals /minerals that Parrot Body's need to keep them healthy.

I fully admit to being Hard Core Amazon Parrot Snob. I fully admit to being a strong believer is providing my Amazon a very healthy and therefor an expense diet. I full admit to pushing that level of care when asked. If that makes me a Shammer, I will proudly where that label!
Let me just point out that Pippen is very knowlageable when it comes to parrots. They did not mean any harm by asking and I'm sure they would feed their parrots TOP's pellets if they could. Pippen also isn't a new bird owner, so they are well aware of the costs of owning a burd. It seems you may be just a bit unempathetic to this situation, not everyone has enough money to ship burd pellets across the world to them frequently. It's about doing the best with what you have.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Let me just point out that Pippen is very knowlageable when it comes to parrots. They did not mean any harm by asking and I'm sure they would feed their parrots TOP's pellets if they could. Pippen also isn't a new bird owner, so they are well aware of the costs of owning a burd. It seems you may be just a bit unempathetic to this situation, not everyone has enough money to ship burd pellets across the world to them frequently. It's about doing the best with what you have.

Very interested that you consider my contribution un-empathetic!!
As I consider myself as hardhearted as well. I am not into 'woke" isms and find the use of such terms as un-empathetic as little more that gaming as a means of shutting-down others with a different view point.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Very interested that you consider my contribution un-empathetic!!
As I consider myself as hardhearted as well. I am not into 'woke" isms and find the use of such terms as un-empathetic as little more that gaming as a means of shutting-down others with a different view point.
Welp, let's just agree to disagree then. I was just pointing out that Pippen was doing her best, and knows that TOP's are the best...

I just looked it up, costs for shipping TOP's to South Africa are between 90 and 250 dollars, you REALLY EXPECT SOMEONE TO PAY THAT MUCH TO SHIP A 5 DOLLAR BAG OF PELLETS!?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
It seems like a lot of these "Bird-tubers" can be very forceful when it comes to recommending pellets. They say things like "this is trash for your bird" or that "any pellets containing fillers are HORRIBLE and should never be fed to your bird".. TBH It hurts and it's difficult for a kid like me to get these luxurious pellets like TOP's, not only because it's expensive but because since I live in a different country(South Africa), these pellets are even MORE expensive since it's been shipped, so I am NOT getting it! I am going to lose my mind if these bird-tubers keep on shaming others for feeding lower quality pellets for their birds. I AM TRYING MY BEST! I don't know what to feed them since it's a choice between getting lower quality pellets that are more affordable and can help me save money to take better care of them, or getting these pellet brands that are supposedly gold... It's because of these YouTubers that I feel sometimes like a terrible parront and that I could do better. I CAN'T do better. I AM REALLY trying my best. As a kid, I have to use my own money and my parents will only pay for lower quality pellets..

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

View attachment 34799
While it isn't the best it's better than some of the other garbage available.

"ingredients:
Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Niacin, Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking aid), Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Vegetable Oil, Rosemary Extract, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca shidigera Extract, Dried Yeast, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Propionic Acid (preservative), Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Tartaric Acid, and Natural Apple Flavouring."

2. Nature's nest
View attachment 34800

It's not the best but my parents said they will buy it for me so I don't have to pay

"Ingredients​

Maize, Soya, Bran, Apple Concentrate, Vitamins, Limestone, Rooibos Leaves, Kinofos, Blanched Giant Peanuts, Zeolite, Methionine.

Vitamins:
Vitamin A , Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K3, Vitamin B1 – Thiamine, Vitamin B2 – Riboflavin, Vitamin PP – Niacin, Vitamin B5 – Panthothenic Acid, Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine, Vitamin B9 – Folic Acid, Vitamin H – Biotin, Vitamin B12 – Cyanocabalamine, Vitamin C, Choline

Additives:

(my birds had this before and enjoy it, My avian vet recommends it and she personally knows the person who makes it so idk)

3. Avi-plus

View attachment 34801

(this is their current brand I feed them) I can't find the ingredients but the first few ingredients look something like soy by-products(EESSH!) specially prepared soy/wheat etc. so it's definitely a no-no for me

View attachment 34802

Ingredient list is

Cereals(bit suspicious that the aren't very specific:unsure:), seeds, nuts (peanut kernels 10%), fruit (fruit 5%), vegetables, oils and fats, minerals, clay(um ok), various sugars(??), MOS(what da heck is that??), yucca

I'd say the Roudybush, many people use that and it is the best quality pellet on the list :)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you! I'll think about it and let you know! If I use it I'll definitely only use about 15-20% of it in their diet.
That's good! I'm glad you figured something out.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Interesting, as there was nothing to either agree or disagree with.
I thought we were disagreeing on the whole getting TOP's situation...

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Welp, let's just agree to disagree then. I was just pointing out that Pippen was doing her best, and knows that TOP's are the best...

I just looked it up, costs for shipping TOP's to South Africa are between 90 and 250 dollars, you REALLY EXPECT SOMEONE TO PAY THAT MUCH TO SHIP A 5 DOLLAR BAG OF PELLETS!?
There is some available here in SA but it's costs about 40dollar for 1.8k of pellets(or 4ibs) which is twice the price of what it would be in USA, and that excludes shipping! And it would last only 45 days if I only give 1 teaspoon each a day! which imo is little.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
There is some available here in SA but it's costs about 40dollar for 1.8k of pellets(or 4ibs) which is twice the price of what it would be in USA, and that excludes shipping! And it would last only 45 days if I only give 1 teaspoon each a day! which imo is little.
Agreed! That is WAY too much to expect someone to pay for such a small amount of pellets.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Also guys! I created this purely to get help, not to create arguments! If you disagree with each other, be kind about it and @SailBoat, I know you disagree with me, but in this world, sometimes not everything works out as you want it to. Sometimes you are just a teenager trying to take the best care possible of your birds. If you were in my position, you'd know how painful it is. Trying to do your best but everyone expects something better from you. I don't own a zon, but I own 5 budgies and a tiel. When I got them I didn't know better and let's just say the tiel was unplanned. And yes. I know vets are expensive. I pay it with my from own wallet. If I were a grown up I'd be able to get them a lot better. But do you expect that I pay 40$ for a 4ibs packet of pellets? It's out of my price range.. I think you could've been a bit kinder. I'm going to bed and deal with this tomorrow.

Last edited:

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
It seems like a lot of these "Bird-tubers" can be very forceful when it comes to recommending pellets. They say things like "this is trash for your bird" or that "any pellets containing fillers are HORRIBLE and should never be fed to your bird".. TBH It hurts and it's difficult for a kid like me to get these luxurious pellets like TOP's, not only because it's expensive but because since I live in a different country(South Africa), these pellets are even MORE expensive since it's been shipped, so I am NOT getting it! I am going to lose my mind if these bird-tubers keep on shaming others for feeding lower quality pellets for their birds. I AM TRYING MY BEST! I don't know what to feed them since it's a choice between getting lower quality pellets that are more affordable and can help me save money to take better care of them, or getting these pellet brands that are supposedly gold... It's because of these YouTubers that I feel sometimes like a terrible parront and that I could do better. I CAN'T do better. I AM REALLY trying my best. As a kid, I have to use my own money and my parents will only pay for lower quality pellets..

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

View attachment 34799
While it isn't the best it's better than some of the other garbage available.

"ingredients:

2. Nature's nest
View attachment 34800

"Ingredients​

Vitamins:

Additives:

3. Avi-plus

View attachment 34801

View attachment 34802

Ingredient list is

I fed Roudybush pellets for a while before switching to birdtricks pellets and I would definitely say it is the best on your list so definitely go for Roudybush! :) just make sure you supplement with more veggies and healthy grains for the nutrients that the pellets might not have.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I fed Roudybush pellets for a while before switching to birdtricks pellets and I would definitely say it is the best on your list so definitely go for Roudybush! :) just make sure you supplement with more veggies and healthy grains for the nutrients that the pellets might not have.
it won't be more than 20% max of their diet :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also don't use Tops because they are so expensive to get shipped here in Canada.

I would also pick Roudeybush from your options. I know several people here who only use Roudybush because they like it so well.

Versele-Laga is the company that makes the food for my Laughing Thrush and Barbet. I'm not familiar with the one for parrots, but the Uni I get from them is a wonderful product. (It's for birds who are mainly fruit eaters). However, their specialty may not extend to parrots so I'd be hesitant to recommend it..
In the end, your best pellet choice is one they will actually eat, and the one of the choices that are available and don't cost as arm and a leg.

Sleep well, Pip!

Most Reactions

Latest posts