Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I feed Salty Roudybush. He gets 1/2 walnut, a nutraberry, and some pellets for all day, lunch is a bit of fruit ( a small bit)or 1 kind of vegg and dinner is chop. Some days he eats all the pellets some days he eats a few. THe big meal is the chop and likely the most nutritious.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I agree, from the list you gave, Roudybush all the way. I converted our foster tiel to it, and Pascal (the little conure rascal), they both loved it. And later our silly Budgie too :D

I moved them to Harrison's recently just because my budget allows it, but I agree, if I simply cannot get something, I won't. TOPS isn't even available in Europe, and Harrison's is double the price than in US just because of the shipping and that many resellers put on top to get at least some profit. If I see later that feeding harrison's is just way too pricey, might as well switch them back to Roudybush if possible.

Also these "aditives" like corn, wheat or soy... Birds also need those carbonhydrates! Nothing bad with that IMO.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Corn and wheat are OK but don't have a lot of nutrients. Peanuts are a bit of a junk food, and soy can sometimes hormonally stimulate them. My recommendation is not to give as much pellets containing soy to hormonal birds or birds with issues like chronic egg laying etc.
Also these "aditives" like corn, wheat or soy... Birds also need those carbonhydrates! Nothing bad with that IMO.
Yes, I think birds do need their carbs lol

dtoddskiles

Nov 10, 2020
It seems like a lot of these "Bird-tubers" can be very forceful when it comes to recommending pellets. They say things like "this is trash for your bird" or that "any pellets containing fillers are HORRIBLE and should never be fed to your bird".. TBH It hurts and it's difficult for a kid like me to get these luxurious pellets like TOP's, not only because it's expensive but because since I live in a different country(South Africa), these pellets are even MORE expensive since it's been shipped, so I am NOT getting it! I am going to lose my mind if these bird-tubers keep on shaming others for feeding lower quality pellets for their birds. I AM TRYING MY BEST! I don't know what to feed them since it's a choice between getting lower quality pellets that are more affordable and can help me save money to take better care of them, or getting these pellet brands that are supposedly gold... It's because of these YouTubers that I feel sometimes like a terrible parront and that I could do better. I CAN'T do better. I AM REALLY trying my best. As a kid, I have to use my own money and my parents will only pay for lower quality pellets..

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

View attachment 34799
While it isn't the best it's better than some of the other stuff available.

"ingredients:
Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Niacin, Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking aid), Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Vegetable Oil, Rosemary Extract, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca shidigera Extract, Dried Yeast, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Propionic Acid (preservative), Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Tartaric Acid, and Natural Apple Flavouring."

2. Nature's nest
View attachment 34800

It's not the best but my parents said they will buy it for me so I don't have to pay

"Ingredients​

Maize, Soya, Bran, Apple Concentrate, Vitamins, Limestone, Rooibos Leaves, Kinofos, Blanched Giant Peanuts, Zeolite, Methionine.

Vitamins:
Vitamin A , Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K3, Vitamin B1 – Thiamine, Vitamin B2 – Riboflavin, Vitamin PP – Niacin, Vitamin B5 – Panthothenic Acid, Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine, Vitamin B9 – Folic Acid, Vitamin H – Biotin, Vitamin B12 – Cyanocabalamine, Vitamin C, Choline

Trace and Macro Elements:
Ferrous, Copper, Manganese, Zinc, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium

Additives:
Immunowall, Salt, Antioxydants "

(my birds had this before and enjoy it, My avian vet recommends it and she personally knows the person who makes it so idk)

3. Avi-plus

View attachment 34801

(this is their current brand I feed them) I can't find the ingredients but the first few ingredients look something like soy by-products(EESSH!) specially prepared soy/wheat etc. so it's definitely a no-no for me

ANDD the last one is nutribird P15
View attachment 34802

Ingredient list is

Cereals(bit suspicious that the aren't very specific:unsure:), seeds, nuts (peanut kernels 10%), fruit (fruit 5%), vegetables, oils and fats, minerals, clay(um ok), various sugars(??), MOS(what da heck is that??), yucca

What do you guys think? Please tell me if you have suggestions!
I would second the Rowdybush recommendations of the options provided. You mention South Africa so it’s not reasonable to expect things to be the same there as it might be in the UK, US, or elsewhere. You do have one significant advantage - your climate gives you ready access to fresh produce. I think as long as you’re supplementing with fresh produce, you’ll be fine. I had my first parrot living as a kid growing up in Panama and we had to rely mostly on local produce and people food (oatmeal, brown rice, etc) because pellets were not available. I asked my vet and she said “I’ve never seen a ‘pellet tree’ so I’m pretty confident birds in the wild are getting the nutrition they need.” Focus on a diverse menu and just make sure all the colors are covered.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
ok, thanks, Yes, of course. If they eat pellets I'll definitely give them mostly fresh stuff and only 15-20% pellets.

Last edited:

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
It seems like a lot of these "Bird-tubers" can be very forceful when it comes to recommending pellets. They say things like "this is trash for your bird" or that "any pellets containing fillers are HORRIBLE and should never be fed to your bird".. TBH It hurts and it's difficult for a kid like me to get these luxurious pellets like TOP's, not only because it's expensive but because since I live in a different country(South Africa), these pellets are even MORE expensive since it's been shipped, so I am NOT getting it! I am going to lose my mind if these bird-tubers keep on shaming others for feeding lower quality pellets for their birds. I AM TRYING MY BEST! I don't know what to feed them since it's a choice between getting lower quality pellets that are more affordable and can help me save money to take better care of them, or getting these pellet brands that are supposedly gold... It's because of these YouTubers that I feel sometimes like a terrible parront and that I could do better. I CAN'T do better. I AM REALLY trying my best. As a kid, I have to use my own money and my parents will only pay for lower quality pellets..

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

View attachment 34799

"ingredients:
Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Niacin, Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking aid), Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Vegetable Oil, Rosemary Extract, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca shidigera Extract, Dried Yeast, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Propionic Acid (preservative), Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservative), Tartaric Acid, and Natural Apple Flavouring."

2. Nature's nest
View attachment 34800

It's not the best but my parents said they will buy it for me so I don't have to pay

"Ingredients​

Maize, Soya, Bran, Apple Concentrate, Vitamins, Limestone, Rooibos Leaves, Kinofos, Blanched Giant Peanuts, Zeolite, Methionine.

Vitamins:
Vitamin A , Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K3, Vitamin B1 – Thiamine, Vitamin B2 – Riboflavin, Vitamin PP – Niacin, Vitamin B5 – Panthothenic Acid, Vitamin B6 – Pyridoxine, Vitamin B9 – Folic Acid, Vitamin H – Biotin, Vitamin B12 – Cyanocabalamine, Vitamin C, Choline

Additives:

(my birds had this before and enjoy it, My avian vet recommends it and she personally knows the person who makes it so idk)

3. Avi-plus

View attachment 34801

(this is their current brand I feed them) I can't find the ingredients but the first few ingredients look something like soy by-products(EESSH!) specially prepared soy/wheat etc. so it's definitely a no-no for me

View attachment 34802

Ingredient list is

Cereals(bit suspicious that the aren't very specific:unsure:), seeds, nuts (peanut kernels 10%), fruit (fruit 5%), vegetables, oils and fats, minerals, clay(um ok), various sugars(??), MOS(what da heck is that??), yucca

I agree that Roudybush is the best choice on this list. Cereals, btw, are grains such as oats, wheat etc. Clay is a natural part of a parrots diet, it's thought they use it for essential minerals and to bind, remove toxins they ingest as part of foraging. Do your best to feed fresh fruits, nuts, veg and grains. Good luck, kiddo!

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
Do you guys prefer Birdtricks pellets TOPs or Harrisons I have been reading some negative comments on Birdtricks and I am maybe thinking of switching pellet brands or feeding two brands at once for more verity

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

View attachment 34799

"ingredients:

2. Nature's nest
View attachment 34800

"Ingredients​

Vitamins:

Additives:

3. Avi-plus

View attachment 34801

View attachment 34802

Ingredient list is

What a brilliant and well presented thread. I agree that there is an intense snobbery in parrot care.... it's not just parrots tho - it's every pet there is. Dogs too... and I have two of those as well.

This sounds wrong but is raising a parrot now down to how long do you want your pet to live or how much of the expensive stuff are you able to buy and if somehow your bird doesn't live out it's life expectancy (I wonder who decided what a parrots life expectancy is when it is born as a domestic pet?) it's somehow the fault of not being given the best, i.e. the most expensive?
Back in the day, birds were fed only seeds and they supposedly didn't live out their full live expectancy. Dogs (I know this isn't about dogs but it proves a point - I hope) tho, they lived longer back then then they do now with all the fancy diet stuff out there for them now. So go figure.

I think, in my own opinion here, it should come down to love, and Pippentiel, you have that covered... totally.

If we go by everything we watch, read or are told, we'd go insane. Trust me when I say, I've been there... it isn't nice. I'm still trying to do what "they" (whomever "they" is and presuming they all have degrees and are experts in what they proclaim to be the very best thing for your bird/s ) are telling us.

I come from a family of 7 kids and we didn't get the best of the best but it hasn't killed us or shortened our life expectancy in any way. My parents went thru WWII and rationing, and they lived into their 90's so I really can't say it shortened their life expectancy either.

My kid sisters friends dad, was an extremely healthy, fit man who died of a heart attack at age 35 while he was out jogging so....

Just do the best YOU can afford. If possible instead of using created pellet mixes maybe you could come up with your very own mix made with fresh ingredients. Fresh will always be the best. I have absolutely no doubt at all that you could be the very person who comes up with South Africa's version of the best food to buy for pet birds as you have heart in abundance, and the intelligence to do so, so I applaud you.

Your birds are lucky to have you for their prime carer and I am sure they are thriving and will continue to do so.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi there! Pellets are just for now, I plan on making dried mixes someday(south africa is limited on seed right now since there is shipping bans happening) I will still use pellets but less. I will start a bussiness related to parrot toys, food, perches etc. but I still need to save money lol. Thank you for the kind reply, I appreciate it :) I can't really feed a lot of fresh goodies now since I had foot surgery earlier today and mom is helping out with the flock:)
What a brilliant and well presented thread. I agree that there is an intense snobbery in parrot care.... it's not just parrots tho - it's every pet there is. Dogs too... and I have two of those as well.

This sounds wrong but is raising a parrot now down to how long do you want your pet to live or how much of the expensive stuff are you able to buy and if somehow your bird doesn't live out it's life expectancy (I wonder who decided what a parrots life expectancy is when it is born as a domestic pet?) it's somehow the fault of not being given the best, i.e. the most expensive?
Back in the day, birds were fed only seeds and they supposedly didn't live out their full live expectancy. Dogs (I know this isn't about dogs but it proves a point - I hope) tho, they lived longer back then then they do now with all the fancy diet stuff out there for them now. So go figure.

I think, in my own opinion here, it should come down to love, and Pippentiel, you have that covered... totally.

If we go by everything we watch, read or are told, we'd go insane. Trust me when I say, I've been there... it isn't nice. I'm still trying to do what "they" (whomever "they" is and presuming they all have degrees and are experts in what they proclaim to be the very best thing for your bird/s ) are telling us.

I come from a family of 7 kids and we didn't get the best of the best but it hasn't killed us or shortened our life expectancy in any way. My parents went thru WWII and rationing, and they lived into their 90's so I really can't say it shortened their life expectancy either.

My kid sisters friends dad, was an extremely healthy, fit man who died of a heart attack at age 35 while he was out jogging so....

Just do the best YOU can afford. If possible instead of using created pellet mixes maybe you could come up with your very own mix made with fresh ingredients. Fresh will always be the best. I have absolutely no doubt at all that you could be the very person who comes up with South Africa's version of the best food to buy for pet birds as you have heart in abundance, and the intelligence to do so, so I applaud you.

Your birds are lucky to have you for their prime carer and I am sure they are thriving and will continue to do so.

gloriaas1949

Dec 23, 2021
Media
Parrots
Goffins Cockatoo 30 years old
Out of those, I think you should go with Roudybush...
It's pretty good, not the best, but will be fine.
I fed Roudybush pellets for a while before switching to birdtricks pellets and I would definitely say it is the best on your list so definitely go for Roudybush! :) just make sure you supplement with more veggies and healthy grains for the nutrients that the pellets might not have.
Out of all those pellets, my cockatoo only eats zupreem large pellets. Yes, she throws out as much as she eats- of course this supplements the fresh daily x2 food she eats and loves. It is available online

KevinC_63559

Jan 18, 2021
Deeply rural NE Missouri
Parrots
Several years experience with Greenwing Macaw prior to divorce in 2004.
FWIW - The parrot rescue I received my Ruby Macaw from uses, and was quite content with me continuing to use, ZuPreme Fruitblend. Purist are welcome to flame me - but know that you will be ignored. The ZuPreme is just part of his diet, he goes through a handful or two a week. He also gets mixed nuts daily and insist on sharing whatever I have for lunch and dinner (be that a ham sandwich, noodles, chicken, pork, beef, whatever - of course, he isn't offered chocolate or other taboo foods). He also loves banana, apples, oranges, and other fruits when offered as a snack. He additionally gets frozen mixed vegies, which he prefers frozen! Especially the frozen corn... What he doesn't eat is given to our chickens. Warning - ducks will try and eat small nuts whole. We suspect that is why we don't have any domestic ducks left on the farm.

J

Jeff1

If you disliked the U-Tubers, your likely are not going to like me at all!

Parrots are expensive!!

You have now found the first reality: Food!
The Second reality: They waste as much as they eat!
Avian Vet Care is the Third reality: Avian Vet Care is expense!
Avian Medication is the Fourth reality: Avian Medication is expense!
Cages and Perches is the Fifth reality: Yup, they are expensive also!
Toys and stuff to turn in to tiny bits is the Six reality: Yup, expensive, also!

Oh: Fresh Food get really expensive when out of season!

And that is just the beginning of the cost items that ownership of a Parrot is going to entail.

Companion Parrots in their Natural Range are highly selective on what they eat and common drop /waste as much as they eat.

The term Shammers is an interesting classification as it is so commonly used with a very wide brush stoke. It is also commonly used on others when they disagree with one's own opinion.

My recommendation for an Amazon's diet (as found deep within the Amazon Forum, highlighted Threads at the top (I Love Amazons), is very expense as it places a hide value of Fresh Foods and high-end Seeds, Grains, specialty nuts (not peanuts), etc.

Parrots are high-energy creatures and are designed to quickly process food into energy, which places a high-value of the quality of food they eat!

Vastly inexpensive food source rarely have the quality of chemicals /minerals that Parrot Body's need to keep them healthy.

I fully admit to being Hard Core Amazon Parrot Snob. I fully admit to being a strong believer is providing my Amazon a very healthy and therefor an expense diet. I full admit to pushing that level of care when asked. If that makes me a Shammer, I will proudly where that label!
This is what you send to a child WHO WANTS to take care of his bird the best they can? Instead of offering tips you berate and basicly tell this good kid "Owning a bird is expensive".

Last edited by a moderator:

benbfishin

Nov 16, 2015
Pellets..roud bush are good..but diet should have fresh fruits, nuts..vegetables..try not to give peanuts...as a treat..I give pumpkin seeds instead of sun flower...I try not to give pellets with color in them..but there are so many views on what's best...a mixed diet of pellets and fresh foods has served my birds well

sweetpreen

Jun 24, 2011
Northern California, USA
Parrots
Bamboo, Cockatiel
Frisco, Green Winged Macaw
Nikko, Timneh Grey
Hilo, Cockatiel

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

View attachment 34799

"ingredients:

2. Nature's nest
View attachment 34800

"Ingredients​

Vitamins:

Additives:

3. Avi-plus

View attachment 34801

View attachment 34802

Ingredient list is

As a thirty year parrot care specialist and one who owns a green winged macaw, a Timneh Grey and two cockatiels I’ve had my 22 year old macaw on my avian vet recommended Roudy Bush for twenty two years and I give him and my Timneh Grey Harrisons Power Treats as a treat and of course the pellets should be supplemented with fresh fruits and vegetables. I spend a lot of money on my birds because they are my life. I have never been able to get my birds to eat TOPS which

so I have a few choices:

1. Roudybush

View attachment 34799

"ingredients:

2. Nature's nest
View attachment 34800

"Ingredients​

Vitamins:

Additives:

3. Avi-plus

View attachment 34801

View attachment 34802

Ingredient list is

I’m an experienced parrot care specialist and I’ve also done parrot rescue for thirty years. I have been giving roudy bush to my green winged macaw for 22 years and it was recommended as a decent pellet for my birds. I have successfully gotten rescued macaws that were on a seed diet for many years to eat roudy bush. I of course supplement the roudy bush pellets with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. My thirteen year old Timneh Grey has also been on roudy bush. I have never been able to get my birds to eat TOPS which I feel is way over priced or Harrisons which is the leading organic pellet. I couldn’t even get my cockatiels to eat Harrison’s. I give them the natural Zupreme pellets and also freshly cooked Farro which they love. As a treat I give my birds Harrisons power treats. I spend a lot of money on my birds and I give them the best of everything because they are my life. Having money set aside for their annual avian vet bills is a necessity. When your parents allowed you to get a bird they also took on the responsibility of needing to pay to get your bird vet checked. This is necessary for their health.
Roudy bush is just fine to feed your birds and it has been around a long time. Do the best that you can. You didn’t mention the kind of parrot that you own. Owning a parrot is a big reward but it is also a big responsibility.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Do you guys prefer Birdtricks pellets TOPs or Harrisons I have been reading some negative comments on Birdtricks and I am maybe thinking of switching pellet brands or feeding two brands at once for more verity
as far as I'm aware Birdtricks are TOP's rebranded-

TOP's and Harrison's are great.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
@Jeff1, I did not create this with the intent to fight. While I agree that sailboat could've been kinder to me, that is his issue. I understand you are frustrated. I could've wrote a very mean reply to sailboat but I didn't. I appreciate you caring for my well-being, but I was not offended and I respect his opinion.
This is what you send to a child WHO WANTS to take care of his bird the best they can? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! Instead of offering tips you berate and basicly tell this good kid "Owning a bird is expensive and since you are not priveledged with money like my elite self you should not own a bird! My goodness how many convicts did you raise? If you had chilften I am SURE they have mental issues and if you DO NOT then leave your elitist snarky comments to your lonesome self and allow others who value children to others!
I try to take the best care possible. Please note my preferred are she/her, since I've been using them since birth and it suits me.

Thank you for your understanding. Please don't fight because I don't want to report comments and get a moderator on this thread.

Last edited:

OrrinocosMom

Jul 29, 2021
Media
Albums
New England
Parrots
Orrinoco The Pirate
Shaming is never useful. Period. We can suggest, or even teach, but nothing will be learned or changed by shaming. So, yes to kindness, patience, understanding and working with what we've got. May we all lift each other up so we can be the best and give the best for and to our birds. XO

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Shaming is never useful. Period. We can suggest, or even teach, but nothing will be learned or changed by shaming. So, yes to kindness, patience, understanding and working with what we've got. May we all lift each other up so we can be the best and give the best for and to our birds. XO
Agreed!! When I had a youtube channel(I deleted it due to private reasons), people were very toxic when they told me tents are bad for birds(in a DIY vid I made). If they were kinder, I would've listened much faster.

Most Reactions

Latest posts