Baby budgie from local pet store - need help!

Jackisatack

Jan 27, 2020
West Virginia
Parrots
Budgies, Cockatiel
Howdy! So I have three budgies, the first two were relatively young when I got them and have been a breeze to bond with, however, I just took home a new budgie today, Casper. She looked fine when I saw her, but younger than the others. Now I'm noticing things. For one, she struggles to perch on things, and appears to be younger than 5 weeks. I have to assume she's weaned, but I'm still concerned. Is there anything I can do or should do to make eating/perching/etc easier on her? **will post pictures if nessecary, I appreciate any help!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Put food and water on bottom of cage, put low perches near bottom of cage. Be careful babies can drown in water. If you think the baby was hand fed you can offer baby bird formula by hand or in a flat lid. But cautious as formula goes bad quickly. Or call the pet store see what they were doing. Keep things warmer. Contact a vet.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My goodness if that budgie is only 5 weeks old or less the store has absolutely no business selling it! My advice would be take it back to wherever you got it from immediately as it should not be sold to you or anyone else until it’s at least 8 weeks old and has been eating independently for a good two weeks. I’m sorry and I don’t mean to scare you but this kind of thing makes me very angry because baby birds like this can easily die if they’re sold too young!

Most Reactions

Latest posts