Bathing and perch problems

crys

Jun 25, 2013
Russellville, Arkansas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot, cockatiel, Quaker Parrot, Moluccan Cockatoo
So I have Sam a bath yesterday when I got done showering, we have a shower perch that the other birds use. I had read that cockatoos love strutting and dancing when showering, which he did but it seemed like he wasn't able to fully do as much as he wanted on the perch.

So I was thinking about filling the tub up just a little and then having th shower on at a soft flow and just letting him shower like that, with the perch on the tub wall just in case he wanted up, what do you guys think?

Also, how much would you recommend I bathe him? My mother bathed him frequently, but not sure just how much she did. I've read some websites recommending 2-3 Xs weekly, then some say you can offer it daily, and some books I have vary on it as well. So I'm a little confused now haha.

Onto perch problems. Sam has a huge two level cage, well he decided to chew through his wooden perch at the top, and he has plenty of toys that I rotate out 2 Xs daily. He has 15 toys in total, so he gets new toys rotated through all the time. I don't know if he did this with my mother, I noticed he had been chewing it when we got him soon after she died, the middle of the perches had been chewed. I'm not sure what I can do about it haha, I'm thinkin about replacing the wooden perch with a "orthopedic perch" not the sand covers, but the calcium of lava rock ones. We have them at petsmart where I work. He has one wooden left, but I noticed it has also been chewed through the middle. When he chewed through the perch, he fell to the bottom, he was pretty scare but I just let him calm down before I went up to him and removed the perch. I was going to go to him immediately but then I remembered something I read about not approaching a bird immediately after it gets scared from flyin or falling so I have him a minute to calm, I don't know if that's right.

So should i get the calcium perch or try to replace it with another wooden?

Most Reactions

Latest posts