Bird Meals

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
There are many ways that meal impact a birds' life. There is of course the vitamins and minerals involved. These maintain the birds health physically and mentally; if it's balanced. Timing is just as important, especially as regards training times are before hand. Different species prefer foods chopped to a variety of sizes; according to their own and their own size. Lord knows they are smart little individuals. You can use the attached video for general morning or evening meals, it is chopped quite fine to prevent being so picky an eater. The other meal should be chopped coarser (so you can observe their eating response). You will observe the don't eat certain things and prefer certain things, etc. Plus you will learn "how" they prefer them. "SOME" things may fall into the "treat" category. Training and cage time should be taken into account here as part of routine. Training before and feeding / cage time right after, for instance. Same time everyday is a key thing. So please watch the following, remember that food should be served at room temperature even if it was frozen to start with. More things to follow as questions arise. jh
PS The video is, [ame="https://youtu.be/IrOBcncx_f0"]YouTube[/ame]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly a great video that addresses many of the questions that commonly arise during getting a parrot to try new things and/or to bring them onto a healthier diet.

Thanks for providing this great foundation video...

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
I chop into different sizes and see no advantage to smaller pieces. In fact, for many items, a bird can much prefer larger because he’s able to hold, manipulate, and nibble on the one big piece. Also encourages a more varied diet for picky eaters:

It’s food slash toy.

OP
1oldparroter

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
To get them to eat all (or most) of their veggies, the smaller the better. Switching them from primarily seeds or pellets; then the scent of what they want is mixed in with what they don't care for. The "other" meal would be coarser chopped, so you could see them pick out their "preferred". This would include notes you take on whether it was raw, boiled or steamed. Another thing is to time the meal for after a training event. The biggest plus is to get them off of primarily seeds or pellets and clear up health or behaiviorial issues in the process. Proper diet is a key to any organism as is patience and timing. jh
PS: That being said, here are a couple of important links,
[ame="https://youtu.be/RTJ39BFna3A"]#30 WHAT PLANTS OR FLOWERS ARE TOXIC FOR BIRDS - YouTube[/ame]
and
[ame="https://youtu.be/wPZkqALzfus"]#21 THINGS THAT WILL KILL YOUR BIRD, DO NOT DO ANY OF THESE THINGS - YouTube[/ame]
Have a good one. jh

Most Reactions