Bratty Purl! Do your's do this...

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
Miss Purlie Girlie is being a brat. When I fill her bowl up..she'll take out her pellets to eat, takes a bite or two then flings it, grabs another, and continues. She'll also do this with a treat. Last night we gave her a Brazil nut..she took it, munched on it for a while, then flung it. I think she likes seeing us get it for her..like it's a game.

Not sure if she's saying.."Ok, I'm done" or being a brat. The ONLY thing she will not fling are her pine nuts. She LOVES them. She only get's them from my hand one by one...

She's a little stinker!! My Purlie Girlie!:white1:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
LOL! Silly Purl! My Sammy U2 will take a footful of pellets and stick his foot through the bars and drop them! I am not happy but my dogs are!

OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl

Funny...I noticed too that she will have a bad day..LOL!! The other morning I came out and opened up her cage for her. Normally she would come over for some head scratching, she'll climb out onto the top and then I'll get her dishes all full with her breakfast, and life is good. That day she just wanted to take little nips at me..she was in a pissy mood. So I shut the door, filled her dishes and went and took my shower. I know PMS when I see it..LOL!! And I wasn't going to get a hunk taken out of me because of it.
Still love her..it's only been 3 weeks and we've come a long way. Lots of head scratching, loves when I scratch her beak!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Yeah, it's normal. I cringe to see the sheer number if half, or uneaten pellets at the bottom of my guys cages, lol. I know other people here have posted the same or similar questions or just made a statement about their birds pellet waste.

Silly Purl!

OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl

You just need some ground bound critters to eat the droppings, like in the forest.

LOL..I have 5 dogs..trust me someone is always trying to sneak in to scout out the floor!!

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
My Sun Conure is the worst at this. She scatters her food everywhere! And yes the dogs appreciate it very much. Peppers throws food too, but only if it is something she doesn't like. Sometimes when I go to the bird room to get them, it will look like they have had a food fight while I have been away!

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
Cameo & Tasha constantly throw their food. Especially if they are mad at me. Usually when I come home from working on the road as I did today. There it was two messes one around each cage. Not what I really enjoyed seeing after trudging thru farm properties all day. But I get even with them when I turn the vacuum cleaner on to clean up their messes. They sing a different tune when that happens. Its rather funny because they don`t like sharing the same perches on the play gym but when the vacuum cleaner goes on they both head for the play gym squawking like crazy and get as far away as possible both on the same perch. It is rather cute that they will rally together when they`re frightened.

OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl

My Sun Conure is the worst at this. She scatters her food everywhere! And yes the dogs appreciate it very much. Peppers throws food too, but only if it is something she doesn't like. Sometimes when I go to the bird room to get them, it will look like they have had a food fight while I have been away!

Someone suggested smaller pellets. I give her the Oven Baked by Caitec mediums..maybe I'll switch to the smaller size that they show for cockatiels..that'll learn her..LOL!! The Lafeber pellets she gets now are small already..I don't usually find them scattered around.

The funny part is the dance I do..I'm waiting to take a header one day. The floor is linoleum..so if I step on a seed or pellet I slide. Going out to get an area rug for under her cage. Then at least when the seeds drop they won't scatter like they do now...or is that wishfull thinking?

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)

Someone suggested smaller pellets. I give her the Oven Baked by Caitec mediums..maybe I'll switch to the smaller size that they show for cockatiels..that'll learn her..LOL!! The Lafeber pellets she gets now are small already..I don't usually find them scattered around.

The funny part is the dance I do..I'm waiting to take a header one day. The floor is linoleum..so if I step on a seed or pellet I slide. Going out to get an area rug for under her cage. Then at least when the seeds drop they won't scatter like they do now...or is that wishfull thinking?

LOL... I have carpet and their discarded whatevers end up everywhere! Good luck with the area rug ;) I'd rather just keep a broom handy since you have linoleum. Hoping our next place has tile or linoleum everywhere but the bedrooms :rolleyes:

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
Ugh! My dusky sends her food everywhere if she gets too excited. I have to be really calm and quiet when I fill her bowl. If I talk to her in my "happy voice" she gets overly excited and starts making happy little noises and whistling... then she sticks her entire head in the bowl and flings it around tossing food everywhere. Whatever lands on the carpet goes back in the bowl lol they're bigger pellets, she hates the small ones and makes an even bigger mess with those. I ran out of her food a couple weeks ago and had to use some of carlisle's until I got to the store. She flung it all over. I found pellets in poor Spooky Burd's cage. I wonder if he got pelted all day with pellets lol he's a trooper though. Yak Yak will take a bath and totally soak her cage and his. Even if he didn't want a bath he got one.

Last edited:
OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl

LOL... I have carpet and their discarded whatevers end up everywhere! Good luck with the area rug ;) I'd rather just keep a broom handy since you have linoleum. Hoping our next place has tile or linoleum everywhere but the bedrooms :rolleyes:

Ok..so that was wishful thinking!

Most Reactions