Building outdoor aviary for macaw

MosaicMadness

Nov 20, 2015
Media
Virginia
Parrots
Jenks-RFM 13 yrs, Mox-BTM 9 mos, Widget-RB2 11mos, Artie-WCpi 17 years, Khalessi-BWpi 4 yrs, Winslow-Meyers 6 yrs
3x3 meters would be like 9x9', so that is big enough, just wouldn't be long enough to "fly" well. 6' tall should be fine. Personally, I would not use netting on the roof with a macaw since they can hang from it and chew (unlike soft bill type birds) but I don't toknow if anyone has used it before with other thoughts. For wire I always have heard to use galvanized after welding. Good luck, I want to build a small aviary outside with our old gazebo too... I'll be watching to see what others say.

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
My Mac's would chew their way out in less than 10 minutes. The only thing that might keep them in is metal, but you have to be careful what you use.

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I'm using SS avian netting that is coated. Reasons being: no metal toxicity, will hold up to chewing, and is used to house predatory birds (therefore the best thing to keep them out). The netting for the roof is fine, but I would include a shaded area. A problem you would run into with the sort of design posted is that you will want to hang/suspend things and this would limit some locations to do that.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Stainless steel or galvanised (and then scrubbed and weathered) mesh is best, I'd avoid using wood or soft mesh for any sort of structure. Google 'macaw' or 'parrot' aviaries for some ideas, but everything depends on whether you want it to be a 'play area' type aviary, or a full time aviary. Depending on which of these it is will impact how you set it out and build it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Somewhere on this site are plans for an outdoor aviary, which utilize a pre-fabricated carport as a structure. You might look into that.

As for netting... a macaw will chew through that.

As for wood, pressure treated lumber is potentially toxic, and therefore a no-no. Non-pressure treated lumber will quickly be subject to wood rot and bugs.
So, that's not really a good idea either...

Ha! Found it!

http://www.cockatoorescue.org/index_files/Page3389.htm

Most Reactions