Can a cockatiel and a GCC get along?

Pawprints903

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have a cockatiel and I'm interested in getting a Green Cheek Conure and having them share a cage together, possibly for companionship. The cage is a ferret cage with all the ramps taken out and large enough for him to fly around in.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I would not cage a Green Cheek and a cockatiel together. Green Cheeks can be nippy and he could easily hurt a cockatiel. Have you thought about adding another cockatiel as a friend for yours? You could always have a GCC in separate cage.

OP
P

Pawprints903

Jan 6, 2017
Parrots
Cockatiel
Thank you! I have considered another cockatiel, the only reason I'm hesitant is because I fear they might have chicks. I've always assumed that male birds don't get along quite well together. Is there anyway to prevent chicks or bond two males together?

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi, male plus male may be ok, no guarantee! I would absolutely avoid the nightmare of a male-female relationship!

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
A male would get along with a male but not all birds get along. My cockatiel and budgie have got along, and they are both males. But my lovebird doesn't want to get along with them, but they want to get along with her.
It doesn't really matter the gender, it depends on the birds.

Sent from my iPod touch

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
A male would get along with a male but not all birds get along. My cockatiel and budgie have got along, and they are both males. But my lovebird doesn't want to get along with them, but they want to get along with her.
It doesn't really matter the gender, it depends on the birds.

Sent from my iPod touch
Well said, this is the bottom line really, that there is absolutely no way to know if two birds will get along or not. I too would never, ever recommend keeping two birds in the same cage, even though some birds get along nicely outside of their cages they can become very territorial inside their cages, plus some birds get along well and then all of a sudden they fight and one of them gets hurt, or worse. So no matter what bird you get you'll need two different cages and you'll need to introduce them slowly and supervise them. It will take time for them to get used to each other, it's a slow process at times. I also agree that you definitely do not want a male-female cockatiel pair unless you want to breed them.

I currently have a green cheek conure that is a year old (male) and a female cockatiel that is about 7 months old (female). They actually get along pretty well now, at first the green cheek was jealous and the new cockatiel was scared, but short, supervised visits with each other every day finally allowed them to get comfortable with each other. (Trust me, I separated them several times when sudden fighting would start). I can now have them both out together all day in the house and they either hang out together or ignore each other, but importantly I still don't let them out together unsupervised, not ever. It's too risky. So if I'm not home they are in their separate cages, and if I am home I'm watching them when they're not caged. There is no guarantee that your cockatiel will like any bird you bring home or vise versa, but you can always have 2 birds in 2 different cages and break up their out of cage time if they can't be put together.

I wish there was a way to know beforehand, but short of having a bird on loan for a few weeks to see if he works out, there is just no way to know.

This is the two little buggers looking out my front window. This is right after i propped a pillow up for them so that they could see outside, and they immediately pooped on it before doing anything. [emoji12]

627f72e099162801cf456640b54be754.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions