Can you help us ID this bird?

platinumbid

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Today while walking our dog at the park we found this little cutie. We're trying to find it's family. It's tame, banded and has clipped wings.

However, we've never seen a bird that looks like this before and we can't figure out it's species. It's body shape is very much the same as our budgie, and it's a little smaller than a GCC.

Any ideas as to what it is?

Attachments

• 0316101509a.jpg
    0316101509a.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 282

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Looks like a parrotlet of some sort, beyond that I don't know enough to determine.

I'd guess it might be a variety of a green-rumped or blue-wing parrotlet - but neither one seems like a very good match for this picture.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Please go to craigs list for your state and put an add in that you found this bird and the band number. My bird club did this and we found the owner. He is a real sweetie. You can also contact your local bird club and inquire. You may find the owner that way.

OP
P

platinumbid

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We've already posted the ad, skipped putting in the band number, as we plan to use it to verify that whoever responds to the ad is the owner.

We've left word with out local bird store, and an email to the local parrot association.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Good, sounds like things are taken care of. You're doing all that you can.

How is your little guy doing?

OP
P

platinumbid

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Haven't gotten any calls yet. It's only been 24 hours though. We've contacted the closest avian vet to where we found her (little clipped bird couldn't have come far), posted her on Petlynx, filed a found report with animal services...

She's pretty freaked, but no more than I'd expect. She's one of the sweetest birds I've met in a long time. If we don't find her family, she's not going anywhere. ;)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I hope you find the owner. I'd be beside myself if one of our birds got out.

OP
P

platinumbid

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's been almost a week. We haven't heard anything. No one has called the Humane Society, responded to our posters or ads...

We've reached an interesting roadblock. One of the local pet stores has record of selling a female plum head, but didn't record a band number. They did have phone numbers on record for the people that bought her, but they hung up on the store :s. I think she might have been abandoned, but I don't understand why. As far as parrots go (even as a small one) she's really good. She does nip to set boundaries, but that's it.

If she is the bird petland sold, it doesn't seem they have any interest in getting her back, but we haven't given up yet, just in case.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Hey, I know that the last post was a couple of days ago; so I just wanted to check in with you. How is everything over there?

OP
P

platinumbid

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well. Thought I'd update. It's been a month now, and we haven't heard anything. No replies to our ads, nothing from the local avian vets... I'd still give her up if we find her old family, but she's settled in.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
I'm sorry that your efforts were unsuccessful, but at least you have a nice new pet. ;)

I'm glad she settled in well. She is probably happy to have fresh food, water, company again. I wish you all the best!

Most Reactions

Latest posts