Cockatiel has gone quiet after introducing a second one

CocoBobo

Nov 23, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiels - Coco and Bobo
I understand that this is an old thread. I am going through the same situation. I have tried homing them in separate cages but didn't see much difference. I was wondering if your problem was ever resolved completely.

C&D's Mom

Sep 15, 2022
Parrots
Two Male Cockatiels
I understand that this is an old thread. I am going through the same situation. I have tried homing them in separate cages but didn't see much difference. I was wondering if your problem was ever resolved completely.
Me too. If either of you ever get a concrete answer please share.

I am going through the exact same thing with my two cockatiels. I have had them for 4 years now. I didn't buy them together, but by the time I got the second one a few months later, my first tiel was already singing, talking and doing tricks. After getting the second a few months later, he pretty much went silent. Every now and then he may sing or peekaboo, but when he does and my second bird joins in, just like your birds, he stops. He is not sick. This has been going on for 4 years now, and I take him regularly for check ups. I think it's a hierarchy thing as well, as it has now carried over to eating. To make sure my first bird eats, I have to either separate them or sit and referee while they eat.

I asked an owner of an exotic bird store in my area about it and he told me not to worry. He said if I separated them, put my first bird in a different room, he would become his old self again. I haven't tried it, so I don't know. I do know that my second bird screams like I'm torturing him when my first bird leaves his sight. Again, just like in the the first person's post. Our stories are pretty much identical.

My first bird and I are still very close, but I have to say, I really miss the old him 😢

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_102612.jpg
    IMG_20210522_102612.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 37

Most Reactions