Cold temperatures

Feathered14

May 8, 2019
South Africa
Parrots
2 Female Lutino Indian Ringnecks [Marley & Sunny], 1 Female Lutino Budgie [Chico]
So with winter aproaching, the temperature at night reaches about 12℃ here. My two ringnecks live outside. Their water gets refilled with warm water and at night we cover their cage with a thick blanket. Is the blanket enough or is there more I can do to keep them from the cold?

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
So with winter aproaching, the temperature at night reaches about 12℃ here. My two ringnecks live outside. Their water gets refilled with warm water and at night we cover their cage with a thick blanket. Is the blanket enough or is there more I can do to keep them from the cold?

I had to use a conversion chart, 12 C is 53.6 Fahrenheit, and IMHO thats a bit to chilly for a bird thats not very hardy. I mean a blanket over the cage will keep the wind chill off of them, But if I Absolutely had to keep my baby outdoors, I would approach it with a Perch Warmer and a bird warmer box, also some kind of heating unit in the cage, so they could snuggle up and stay warm at their discretion, but could also escape the heat to a natural perch. The perch warmer is approx 12" to 15" long, and bolts on to the outside of the cage, uses electricity so you have to run the cord for safety, where it bolts into the cage is also a grey warming box, it's also electric. But the bird could leave it's normal perch, and sit on a perch warmer, and even snuggle against the box for warming it's body. You have two, so you would have to add equipment accordingly, but the blanket would keep a draft from blowing on them, but will not keep the babies warm. Ideally I would bring them inside if that was an option. This is just my opinion, and may not be shared by anyone else, so you may want to wait for other responses.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Well, I don't have experience with IRN's, but my house gets colder than that overnight in the winter. We heat our house with wood so no matter how well we stoke the fire, it would usually go out overnight. Since your birds live outside year round(I assume), I would think the change would be gradual enough that they would be ok. But a bird heater as Casper suggested wouldn't be a bad idea either.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Well, I don't have experience with IRN's, but my house gets colder than that overnight in the winter. We heat our house with wood so no matter how well we stoke the fire, it would usually go out overnight. Since your birds live outside year round(I assume), I would think the change would be gradual enough that they would be ok. But a bird heater as Casper suggested wouldn't be a bad idea either.

WHATTTTT?!?!
Wow...I feel like a giant baby now... I get very cold if things in my home drop below 67 F (outside is a different story--I swam in Galway Bay when it was 55 degrees F outside (12.5 C) and the water was the same temperature as the air....-that was a proud moment LOL)
That having been said, I think the coldest I have ever seen on a home-thermostat is 58 F..and that was an extreme circumstance.

Either way, when it comes to birds, the key to temperature changes = gradual. I would Google IRNs to see what temperatures are too cold...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts