Conure weight loss

lkane12673

Feb 10, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I’m in the process of converting my GCC over from her pet store diet onto a higher quality pellet and chop diet. I’ve been weighing her daily. For each of the last three days she has lost 1g per day. How much weight loss should I worry about? Is it normal?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Are you still providing some of her old food?
You should weighs the pellets and chop before you give it to her, then weigh it after she eats to see if she’s actually eating the new foods.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
or, a bit simpler, continue to provide the original diet over a longer time to allow your Parrot to naturally transition. Most individuals to rapidly transition.

Although adding veggies is an important part of an overall healthy diet. Not all quality grains, nuts or seeds are unhealthy. When I transition, I target providing the pellets in a crumbled state as to allow our Parrot to by accident eat the pellet crumbles.

It is important to understand that an all pellet diet is not always the best route as there are vast differences between what is on the market.

OP
lkane12673

lkane12673

Feb 10, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I am currently mixing 1/2 her old food and 1/2 the new pellets. I was hoping to gradually do less of her food. When I watch her eat I see her digging through the pellets to get the old food.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am currently mixing 1/2 her old food and 1/2 the new pellets. I was hoping to gradually do less of her food. When I watch her eat I see her digging through the pellets to get the old food.
Yes, not transitioning yet. Try crushing a few pellets and mixing over the top of what you had been feeding. To that point, what had you been feeding and which pellet are you providing?

OP
lkane12673

lkane12673

Feb 10, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
She came from PetCo and they were feeding her Zupreem’s Pure Fun mix. I’m trying to transition her to BirdTrick’s organic pellets.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Both of my parrots won't eat TOPS (same thing as the BirdTricks pellets) on their own, but they will eat it if I grind it up and mix it with their veggies/grains or mix it with their preferred pellets/seeds. One of my birds doesn't seem to care for the size or shape at all, and the other isn't a fan of anything green, so SailBoat's suggestion of crumbling/mixing in has worked really well for us.

Good for you for checking weights! It took months for my ringneck to eat a bigger variety of pellets, and my Quaker goes through phases - he'd eat all veggies all the time if he could but he's getting there.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
At this time, really be interested in increasing the Veggies. The seed mix you are using is good and crushing (as you provide) the pellets and use as a garnish with the veggies and seed mix would be a strong base diet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts