COVID-19 Virus

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
April 14, 2021
What Is the Immunity Threshold for COVID-19?
Experts have estimated that 70% to 90% of the population needs to be vaccinated to curb the spread of COVID-19, but there is still much to learn about this disease.
So far, the three COVID-19 vaccines authorized in the United States have remained effective against more contagious and deadly variants of the virus that have emerged, though slightly less effective than they are against the original virus. However, if a new strain emerges that can dodge the body's immune response to the vaccines, that will dampen the nation's efforts at achieving herd immunity.

Texas is still about 13 million people away from herd immunity to the coronavirus. The state is chasing that goal even as Texans begin to act like the pandemic is over. From @rossramsey. https://t.co/jqaTZ4gmae
– Texas Tribune (@TexasTribune) April 14, 2021.

In other news April 12, 2021:
Governor Abbott believes Texas may have reached herd immunity!
Abbott is basing his reasoning on what he termed 'simple math' and claims that it explains the recent decline of coronavirus cases in the Lone Star state.
Abbott has based his calculations by taking the number of people who have been vaccinated and combining it with the number who have been infected.

"I don't know what herd immunity is, but when you add that to the people who have acquired immunity, it looks like it could be very close to herd immunity," he said.

Herd immunity an immensely complex concept. Given worldwide travel, global herd immunity is our best antidote. Rollout of vaccines pitifully slow in the un/underdeveloped world, heck even in Canada the inoculation process is slow. Gaps in coverage give the virus opportunity to mutate and spread despite middling travel embargoes and precautions.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
April 14, 2021
What Is the Immunity Threshold for COVID-19?
Experts have estimated that 70% to 90% of the population needs to be vaccinated to curb the spread of COVID-19, but there is still much to learn about this disease.
So far, the three COVID-19 vaccines authorized in the United States have remained effective against more contagious and deadly variants of the virus that have emerged, though slightly less effective than they are against the original virus. However, if a new strain emerges that can dodge the body's immune response to the vaccines, that will dampen the nation's efforts at achieving herd immunity.

Texas is still about 13 million people away from herd immunity to the coronavirus. The state is chasing that goal even as Texans begin to act like the pandemic is over. From @rossramsey. https://t.co/jqaTZ4gmae
– Texas Tribune (@TexasTribune) April 14, 2021.

In other news April 12, 2021:
Governor Abbott believes Texas may have reached herd immunity!
Abbott is basing his reasoning on what he termed 'simple math' and claims that it explains the recent decline of coronavirus cases in the Lone Star state.
Abbott has based his calculations by taking the number of people who have been vaccinated and combining it with the number who have been infected.

"I don't know what herd immunity is, but when you add that to the people who have acquired immunity, it looks like it could be very close to herd immunity," he said.

Herd immunity an immensely complex concept. Given worldwide travel, global herd immunity is our best antidote. Rollout of vaccines pitifully slow in the un/underdeveloped world, heck even in Canada the inoculation process is slow. Gaps in coverage give the virus opportunity to mutate and spread despite middling travel embargoes and precautions.

A man that admittedly does not understand the definition of herd immunity is empowered with the decision to and did lift all coronavirus restrictions on businesses and rescind the mask mandate, as reflected in my post #1474.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As so well stated by Scott: "Herd immunity an immensely complex concept."

It is important to remember that Herd Immunity is structured around THREE (3) lines of protection:
* Immunity gained by receiving a Vaccination
* Immunity gained by being infected by the Virus and recovering
* Immunity as part of the structure of one's Immune System (not yet Identifiable)

The sad reality is the rarity that the Second Group is included as Part of the First Group that should concern individuals far more as that implies that the numbers needed to obtain Herd Immunity are not complete, unless the viewer knows to add the two.

Texas has a serve problem as there are vast areas of Texas and as a result it has the four version of immunity and that is extremely rare transmittal because of vast distances between individuals.

Of the now 33 individuals that I know who have contracted SARS-CoV-2, all of them had been wearing a mask when exposed to Super Spreaders of the Virus and following provided protocols. Tracing has identified where they had been exposed. The how is still being studied. As of this writing, none have heard whether that have a new variant. All of them in the past 3 weeks.

FYI: 12 individuals had been Vaccination and have not contracted the Virus!

- Why is the US Government refusing to provide Michigan more vaccines?
- Why is Michigan being so great effected in this most recent outbreak?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
because vaccinations won't see them out of this due to time it takes for vaccine immune response. Social distancing can be done right now with a big impact. As well as mask use.

Florida has has highest number of new cases in the states different days during the last week. Florida isn't social distancing or wearing masks.....but we are leading in vaccinations .... if only we were social distancing

Sometimes it seems like the national news ignores how terrible Florida is doing. Florida does not release hospitalization numbers. Unless sued. Or will release weeks or months later . Especially if its going to effect tourists coming to our state. And if tourists get sick snd put in our hospitals they don't count thrm because they are not residents. We don't release school infection rates either. Under governor orders,, covid deaths numbers are held up to 3 months for review,, before realse. So we have no way to know if our death numbers reflect current trends... I have linked that in the past in this monster thread. As well as the CDC, WHO, Lancer journal condemned that and calling for Florida to be transparent. So real time action can be taken.. Though we are seeing a big jump in school age kids infection rates.
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...victim-covid-pandemic-experts-say/7207662002/

Today Florida has rge highest number of new cases, tho Michigan hadn't released their numbers for Today yet.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
because vaccinations won't see them out of this due to time it takes for vaccine immune response. Social distancing can be done right now with a big impact. As well as mask use.

Florida has has highest number of new cases in the states different days during the last week. Florida isn't social distancing or wearing masks.....but we are leading in vaccinations .... if only we were social distancing

I'm guessing that the first part is a response to my Post.

Sorry, but all of Michigan Vaccination Centers are running far below full capabilities. Time is Time, but increasing Vaccinations is a solid reality. Our largest facility in my City is running at 50% capacity!

Why the hold back at the Federal Level?

The continued fall back away from Maximizing effort at Vaccinations is telling! It should concern everyone.

And, Yes! There will be booster shots beginning this Fall! So, for those of you who have received your Vaccination(s), keep your card safe!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have heard of pet hamsters and ferrets, cats, dogs, other zoo species catching Covid-19 from their owners, now Otters join the ranks of animals that can catch this . This virus seems exceptionally good at jumping species lines
https://www.wane.com/community/heal...-georgia-aquarium-test-positive-for-covid-19/

As for vaccine , CDC says that not the answer, to shift distribution. Its based on population. https://www.freep.com/story/news/20...nged-despite-michigan-covid-spike/7189252002/

We were leading in variants as of April 18th.

A case could made to increase the shipment of vaccine to Florida to help prevent the surge of the more deadly mutation.

Or other states could have other reasons to request such...so I don't think playing a game of shifting vaccine roll out is the answer.

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando...-florida-s-cases-of-coronavirus-variants-rise
" The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday that the Sunshine State carried a combined 2,422 cases of three COVID-19 variants, out of 13,052 variant cases reported in the U.S.

That's double Michigan's second-most number of U.S. cases at 1,242. California, the most populous state, had 865.

A report this week from the National Institutes of Health called the B.1.1.7 variant “considerably more contagious than the original virus” and said “emerging evidence indicates that infection with this B.1.1.7 variant also comes with an increased risk of severe illness and death.”

"Variant Numbers Likely Underreported
Salemi said he knows of no county-by-county data that focuses on coronavirus variants, and Spectrum News has been unsuccessful in attempts to get such data from various Central Florida and Tampa Bay counties.

The Florida Department of Health didn’t respond to a Wednesday request for such data."

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
According to the news CT will be opening 100% in a couple weeks...everything is down down down..David and I got our second shot last week. My sister,who will be 70 something in june...lives in the boonies of alaska,says she's not getting one :mad: Wish my arm was long enough to give her a good smack!

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy to hear that you have gotten your set! Keep safe the vaccination card as it will likely be your ticket to access.

Been missing you of late, good friend!

Last edited:

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Florida isn't social distancing or wearing masks.....but we are leading in vaccinations .... if only we were social distancing

Sometimes it seems like the national news ignores how terrible Florida is doing. Florida does not release hospitalization numbers. Unless sued. Or will release weeks or months later . Especially if its going to effect tourists coming to our state. And if tourists get sick snd put in our hospitals they don't count thrm because they are not residents. We don't release school infection rates either. Under governor orders,, covid deaths numbers are held up to 3 months for review,, before realse. So we have no way to know if our death numbers reflect current trends... I have linked that in the past in this monster thread. As well as the CDC, WHO, Lancer journal condemned that and calling for Florida to be transparent. So real time action can be taken.. Though we are seeing a big jump in school age kids infection rates.

Today Florida has rge highest number of new cases, tho Michigan hadn't released their numbers for Today yet.

Wow!

Head-in-the-Sand-v2.png

Governor and Staff on Florida Beach?

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I love that photo.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As Michigan's infection numbers have been slowly falling from this year's highs, the number of individuals getting vaccinated has crashed. Western Michigan's largest mass vaccination facility has fallen to less then 25% of its capacity and has been accepting walk-in for nearing two weeks. Announcement this pass weekend is that it will be closed the 28th of this month. Now at the same time, the number of smaller vaccination sites have opened, but even those neighborhood facilities have not attacked more than moderate numbers.

Herd immunity seems to be a soft number as different experts have different numbers from as low as 65% to a high over 80% 'vaccination level'.

Michigan crept above 55% vaccinated this last weekend, but at current rate, it will be deep into this Summer and possibly Fall before we make the 70% level, which would be just prior to the much talked about 'booster' shot.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Due to international travel becoming nessisary in the near future my Wife is likely to need the vaccine.
Her mother (98) is in poor health and ....well never mind.
Problem I am having is to make an appointment for the J & J shot.
Every place we try most don’t have it.
Using a government website there are
2 places locally say they have it.
When you try to make the appointment you can’t select the J & J only the other two.
So much BS for tracking information.
If it’s free why do they care what your health insurance is?

We have an appointment at the closest sight that claims to have the J & J for this morning.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Good luck
They took my health insurance info to, tho they dont bill you, I think it's to add your vaccine info to your health records, to help prevent fake vaccine fraud

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Due to international travel becoming nessisary in the near future my Wife is likely to need the vaccine.
When you try to make the appointment you can’t select the J & J only the other two.

We have an appointment at the closest sight that claims to have the J & J for this morning.

I assume your wife prefers J&J because of single dose, therefore much quicker antibody development? Not sure about your area, but many in California offer walk-up/no appointment needed slots. Definitely a pita to search for a specific brand.

Another reason they ask for insurance is to bill your provider for the cost of administration. They cannot bill anyone for actual vaccine but are permitted to recoup overhead costs. You can simply state "no insurance" and receive regardless of status.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I assume your wife prefers J&J because of single dose, therefore much quicker antibody development? Not sure about your area, but many in California offer walk-up/no appointment needed slots. Definitely a pita to search for a specific brand.

Another reason they ask for insurance is to bill your provider for the cost of administration. They cannot bill anyone for actual vaccine but are permitted to recoup overhead costs. You can simply state "no insurance" and receive regardless of status.

Early-on in the process, you may recall insurance companies providing 'no charge' for their clients to get the vaccination. If you have insurance, your insurance pays for part of the cost with the government pick-up the balance. And, yes, if you do not have insurance, the government picks-up the full cost.

And, yes, your insurance company adds the information into your records.

NOTE: Your dear wife will want to take the 'proof' of vaccination card with her Passport! Also, there are a couple of countries that are not accepting J&J as being vaccinated. But, that seems to be changing every week as J&J has had a couple of problems.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Everything went well.
In spite of filling out the paperwork on line she still had to do it all over at the sight.
She has no immediate plans for travel but hopefully she will have all her ducks in a row when she does..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Has anyone else picked-up on comments coming out of Washington (DC) regarding pressure to get the Vaccination? Plus the push for a Vaccination Passport? Likely the courts will be busy with the next series of court cases.

Michigan numbers are crashing as the number of individuals getting vaccinated also crashes. The two largest vaccination centers in Western Michigan are closing this month because even with 'walk-in' service they are not able to keep staff busy.

More staff changes at the CDC as the message becomes ever more confusing for individuals that have received their vaccination.

What a confusing World we live in. All while India's heartbreaking number continue to set ever higher records.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Has anyone else picked-up on comments coming out of Washington (DC) regarding pressure to get the Vaccination?

Well, no. But I did pickup on this:

April 8, 2021 -- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed an executive order on Tuesday that bans government-mandated “vaccine passports” that show proof of COVID-19 vaccination, becoming the latest governor to voice opposition to “vaccine passport” requirements.

The order prevents state agencies or organizations that receive state funding from mandating someone to receive a vaccine or provide proof of vaccination to receive services.

Source: Hey Abbott!

My offering of my vaccine card was recently declined.

About masks, during a visit with an orthopedic surgeon last November, he moved his mask to the chin warming position. I interrupted his projection of details with, "mask please." He replied he wanted me to hear him. I reflected I could hear him fine, requesting the mask again. Of course he complied.

Most Reactions

Latest posts