Brit1015

Aug 18, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel (Pietri)
Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum and desperate. I have a two year old cockatiel named Pietri who I love dearly. I have been dealing with her being a chronic egg layer and an extremely hormonal female tiel. I am currently going to a CAV near my home who has been aiding me in treating her hormonal issues. She started on the Lupron injections before she became hormonal again and we switched her to the Deslorelin implant about a month ago. She doesn't seem to be responding to it, she is doing her mating dance, self masturbating under her wings, and vent winking. I have and continue to manipulate her environment with cage shock, manipulate the light cycle (she is getting 14-15 hours of sleep every night), encourage foraging activities, and manipulate the amount of food she is getting. I'm just curious if anyone knows if the hormonal behavior is normal with the implant? (she has not laid since late March) or if it sounds like its not working? I would also love to hear other people's experience with the implant.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please understand that the hormonal response is driven (triggered) by multiple sources from sleep to diet, to chemical flow, etc.. The goal of the medication is to address some part of the chemical flow. Short statement, nothing is by itself 100%.

Also, this type of Hormonal response is fairly rare, but not unheard of. Most owners will not experience it. Follow your Avian Medical Professional advise, while you work at providing sleep periods and diet, plus any additional recommendations from your Professional.

OP
B

Brit1015

Aug 18, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel (Pietri)
Please understand that the hormonal response is driven (triggered) by multiple sources from sleep to diet, to chemical flow, etc.. The goal of the medication is to address some part of the chemical flow. Short statement, nothing is by itself 100%.

Also, this type of Hormonal response is fairly rare, but not unheard of. Most owners will not experience it. Follow your Avian Medical Professional advise, while you work at providing sleep periods and diet, plus any additional recommendations from your Professional.
I know you are not a CAV, but do you have any advice? I am putting my heart and soul into this bird and its just heart breaking when it does not work.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You might take a look at a YouTube channel called “Parrot playhouse “.
The woman on this channel has a very hormonal Cockatoo Named Victoria .She has been going through heck trying to control her hormones.
I would recommend trying to reach out to her.
I know of no one on the PF with this problem.

Forcoco

Jul 16, 2023
Parrots
African Gray eclutus
You might take a look at a YouTube channel called “Parrot playhouse “.
The woman on this channel has a very hormonal Cockatoo Named Victoria .She has been going through heck trying to control her hormones.
I would recommend trying to reach out to her.
I know of no one on the PF with this problem.

My female eclectus has had the implant for years .a new one every 3 to 6 months it does not change their behavior my parrot has become egg bound four times with this implant in her I’m not sure it works But I’m afraid to not do anything …I like you have changed everything cages ,sleeping habits ,food but nothing works for her and even her CVA Has no answers and says she is a hard one Thank God he has been able to save her life but how many times can this happen… looking for help myself

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just like Humans, there are outliers in the parrot world. And just like Humans, every parrot is it's own bird, so to speak. Your cockatiel and forcoco's Ekkie are outliers on the scale of hormonal intensity. Just like everyone is saying, in this case the directions, medications etc that your vet advises is the way to go. BUT, make sure they are a Certified Avian Vet, and not a general vet that treats cats and dogs and only sees birds as ancillary patients to their practice.

And in human healthcare, sometimes it pays to have a second opinion.

Patient: Doc, I'd like your opinion.
Doctor: Your pretty ugly.
Patient: Maybe I want a second opinion?
Doctor: Your pretty stupid, too.

Good Luck!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Just like Humans, there are outliers in the parrot world. And just like Humans, every parrot is it's own bird, so to speak. Your cockatiel and forcoco's Ekkie are outliers on the scale of hormonal intensity. Just like everyone is saying, in this case the directions, medications etc that your vet advises is the way to go. BUT, make sure they are a Certified Avian Vet, and not a general vet that treats cats and dogs and only sees birds as ancillary patients to their practice.

And in human healthcare, sometimes it pays to have a second opinion.

Patient: Doc, I'd like your opinion.
Doctor: Your pretty ugly.
Patient: Maybe I want a second opinion?
Doctor: Your pretty stupid, too.

Good Luck!
It sure does seem like it would be great if an avian vet could safely neuter our companion parrots surgically before they reach puberty like dogs and cats are. I guess it's too dangerous to operate on a small parrots reproductive system or it would be an option. So many parrots end up unhappy and repeatedly removed during their long lives due to aggressive hormonal behavior they have no control over. Does anyone know if early neutering is ever done on parrots for this purpose? No one blinks an eye when cats, dogs and horses are "fixed". Why not parrots?

Most Reactions

Latest posts