Experience raising 2 lovebird babys as a beginner with ParrotForums

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Kiwi only eats the formula on my shoulder..its been a habit even if she's super duper hungry she only will insist on eating from my shoulder...And I can't always stretch my hand to my shoulder...any tips on how to stop her from eating formula from my shoulder

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hmm... I don't know.

also when I told you to gradually lower the formula in order to get her to eat foods, please don't use my method. I've read multiple times that it can be very harmful. The best way is called abundance weaning, which is when you hand-feed until the bird doesn't want formula anymore.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Hmm... I don't know.

also when I told you to gradually lower the formula in order to get her to eat foods, please don't use my method. I've read multiple times that it can be very harmful. The best way is called abundance weaning, which is when you hand-feed until the bird doesn't want formula anymore.
Yep, I do research everyday.. I saw few threads about it.. I stopped as soon as I saw those threads.. Don't worry

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
I give them formula until they decide that their full.. Then they eat seeds or eat Lil bit of banana and rub their beaks and go to sleep...and then few hours later play time weeeeee.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Also I didn't mean like kiwi should stop eating formula.. I meant that she only eats things when on shoulders..

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Also I didn't mean like kiwi should stop eating formula.. I meant that she only eats things when on shoulders..
Yup, I knew that.. I think it's because she's up high and feels safer eating it on your shoulder :)

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Near the window side../Right next to me on the table..so I can keep an eye on them while class...Kiwi already knows how to eat by herself..if I keep a seed down she will pick it up and eat it lol. same for kiko

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
1646793347471.png
So I attend classes on the right side...and their cage is there only during classes then the cage is kept on a small table

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
also Kiko makes this sound to reply to me the sound that kiko makes starts at 0:03
and kiwi makes blushing sounds like this
I give them both equal attention..can their sounds determine gender? :eek:

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
ok so Kiko has mastered boomerang.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
ok so Kiko has mastered boomerang.
Cool!
Near the window side../Right next to me on the table..so I can keep an eye on them while class...Kiwi already knows how to eat by herself..if I keep a seed down she will pick it up and eat it lol. same for kiko
That's fine! I was just making sure because if the cage is kept on the floor it might make them feel a bit scared and might be the reason why they don't want to try food, but seeing that you keep the cage on the table, that is not the case.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Kiko is so smart. SHE JUST OPENED THE CAGE DOOR! all by her self

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
she like pulled the thing up and and then she put it back down LOL!. the cage has like clip things so if I lock it with the clips there's no way that they can open it..their so smart

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
she like pulled the thing up and and then she put it back down LOL!. the cage has like clip things so if I lock it with the clips there's no way that they can open it..their so smart
Yup, putting on clips is definitely a good idea because sooner or later, she'll find out how to escape!

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
ok so Kiwi did the iphone ring tone for a few seconds. Im not sure whether she was blushing to eat or it was an Iphone ringtone :O.. I've only showed a cockatiel singing the iphone ringtone once..idk lol she just did it for like a few seconds

Most Reactions

Latest posts