Faust is coming home.

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
The breeder called. My severe macaw baby has finished weaning. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday afternoon! I'm spending today and the next couple of days getting my room set up and rearranged - forming a play area, I'll also be disinfecting the new cage and toys out on the patio today. My mother says I look like a momma bird preparing her nest, and I agree, haha. I've been waiting since May for a fid, I can't believe I'll be bringing Faust home in just three days.

I'll update this thread with pictures once we're together. I'm so looking forward to this whole journey. :green2:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How super exciting!! You must be counting down the days. :D Can't wait to see pictures of Faust and hear all of your adventure together. The fun will begin VERY VERY soon. ;)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I bet Tuesday cannot come soon enough. Your excitement and dedication reminds me of in 1995 when I made the decision to add a parrot into my life and the journey of bringing home Mihijo my Noble macaw. Your blog does take me back to when I first brought my baby Noble home.

Mihijo and I have had many adventures. He was with me though so many ups and downs in my life. He was my best friend and loved me unconditionally though thick and thin. I have so many stories of my life with Mihijo I have started writing them so that I can never forget him. I had almost 18 years with my best friend who enjoyed life like no other creature I ever lived with. Sadly Mihijo suffered a heart attack last October and I miss him still every single day.

Because Mihijo was my only parrot for quite some time he was extremely socialized and had a very outgoing and stable personality. He loved everyone, anyone who would give him food he really loved. Anyone could handle him and he went to anyone that wanted to give him attention. Mihijo was one in a million. Everybody loved Mihijo.

I for one appreciate you documenting your story with your baby Severe macaw Faust and sharing with us your journey with him. I really look forward to reading your entries and will follow your blog. In a way it brings me back to when I first got my Mihijo, the parrot that loved everyone.

OP
F

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
I can't even begin to word my excitement! This will be such a new adventure, one I dearly look forward to.

@noblemacaw: I am both saddened and touched by your recounting of Mihijo. Unfortunately, illness often takes away our loved ones, but I suppose that that is why every day should be respected as if it were not only our last, but our loved ones' last as well. In my current medical situation, I realize this now more than ever. Thank you for your story and for following my blog (I will follow back under my main account - azraelschild). I will do my best to form as special of a bond as you have had the privilege of experiencing with Mihijo. I also wish you the best on your ventures with Julio! It always warms my heart when our non human friends find loving homes.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Wow, how exciting! I can't wait to see pictures of Faust! So excited for you!! :D

OP
F

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
Hey guys, just a little update. Today was Faust's pick up day and his first vet visit. He didn't display a single bad behavior! We were best buds in half an hour. My vet is one of the most reputable avian vets in Chicago, and he has been working with my broker for years. It just turns out that Faust is the first ill bird of my broker's to have ever been sold. :(
I'm heartbroken. Faust is currently on antibiotics and quarantined at my broker's home. Due to my medical condition (which will be resolved in three months), my immune system is severely compromised. We won't know for a week whether or not the disease is zoonotic, so leaving him with the broker is what the vet recommended for my safety, at least until he's healthy again.

I am so scared I might lose him. In the four hours we spent together today I saw so many facets of his personality. I don't think I could take losing him easily, I just pray he'll be ok.

For those wondering, his eating, appearance, poop and all current tests are impeccable except for a WBC that is elevated 3x than normal, and a 80:20 heterophil/lymphocyte ratio.

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
A Shamrock macaw and a lilac crowned amazon
I can feel your pain.... my baby came sick too
Dont worry he will get well , just hold on a little bit more!
He will soon be in your arms playing with his new mommy and his new human perches :D
:( I really do hope he gets well....

OP
F

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
I can feel your pain.... my baby came sick too
Dont worry he will get well , just hold on a little bit more!
He will soon be in your arms playing with his new mommy and his new human perches :D
:( I really do hope he gets well....

Thank you for the kind wishes. I have no issue waiting as long as it takes for him to get better. I received an update last night from the broker that Faust is still doing well, no apparent signs of sickness (hopefully the meds are working). The vet expects a full recovery, so I will remain optimistic! He is in good hands. :green2:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Sending healing thoughts from Australia! You realise of course, that having to wait for this bond to form will make it all the stronger for you both. Let us know as soon as Faust is at home, won't you? :)

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
A Shamrock macaw and a lilac crowned amazon
I am so happy for both of you :D ! He is a strong boy . I am glad to hear that he responded well to the meds and that he is getting better . In the future when he recovers I wish that We could hear more about Faust and his adventures with his famiy :)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
The breeder called. My severe macaw baby has finished weaning. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday afternoon! I'm spending today and the next couple of days getting my room set up and rearranged - forming a play area, I'll also be disinfecting the new cage and toys out on the patio today. My mother says I look like a momma bird preparing her nest, and I agree, haha. I've been waiting since May for a fid, I can't believe I'll be bringing Faust home in just three days.

I'll update this thread with pictures once we're together. I'm so looking forward to this whole journey. :green2:
Congratulations, You kind of remind me of what I did when preparing for Captain Jack. Setting up toys, getting sisal rope, a sisal rope boing with a bell on it, toys, putting together a small wooden parrot play gym and making sure to have the pellets, almonds, cashews, preserved papaya and pineapple (formysafebirdstore). Your quote about being friends in 30 minutes is a lot like what happened when me and Captain Jack meet.

Andorinha

Jul 21, 2013
Brazil
Parrots
Phil and Lil (Cockatiels), Charlie (Severe Macaw)
Congrats indeed! I remember when i got my severe macaw 2 years ago, I was counting up the days till the very moment I met him!
I've seen you on tumblr, funny to find you here! Hope to hear from you and the baby, it's an amazing experience I can tell you!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
So sorry Faust ended up sick. Sounds like he is in good hands. He will be back with you before you know it!

OP
F

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
Thanks guys! He's still at the broker's on antibiotics. He's going in for a new blood panel on Tuesday to see if the wbc has gone back to normal - we also did a test for zoonotic disease just to rule out the nasties. I hope to have him home by next Tuesday, so far he appears to be doing well. I'll post pics once he does truly come home from this whole ordeal. ^_^

Most Reactions

Latest posts