Foods That Promote Weight Gain

Tupelo

May 22, 2013
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo, Age 2
My cockatoo is underweight, and has proven to be a very picky eater. She does like mashed sweet potatoes with palm oil, but gets bored with that from time to time. Aside from this she will eat bananas, raw carrots, almonds, apples, and her pellets. She also doesn't have much of an appetite, as she is chronically sick.

Aside from any suggestions, I was wondering if I could mix some flax meal into oatmeal, as she'll eat oats sometimes? I've heard to avoid seeds, but I've seen flax in treats for large birds before, so I'm a bit confused. Also, has anyone given their bird tofu?

OP
Tupelo

Tupelo

May 22, 2013
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo, Age 2
She likes her almonds, though it seems lately she'd rather crunch them up than actually eat them. I'm not sure what other nuts she may enjoy.

As to your links, I'm kind of intimidated by the idea of hand feeding her, though would consider it if absolutely necessary. She is often too anxious to be handled, though. Some of this is general anxiety, and some of this is because I don't live with her right now.

I wonder what else I could sneak palm oil into. She won't eat it when I toss it on her chopped vegetables, or with pasta.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Can you get Harrison's High Potency pellets?

Most Reactions