Found: One pretty little cockatiel in Brisbane, Australia :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but we had six month's worth of rainfall in the space of three days, and it rained pretty much non-stop for four or five days. I think I would have had trouble surviving that if I'd been stuck outdoors!
Wow, that sounds crazy! Our storm was a very high-wind storm with heavy rain, but not THAT heavy!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I detect a little feathered friend laying claim and telling anyone who will listen that he is very happy thank you and has roosted for as long as he can.

The aforementioned "little feathered friend" is not the least bit interested in making it easy for me should her rightful owner be found!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I know, right??

I had been planning on hopefully getting a baby lorikeet in May or June when a breeder contact has some babies again, but this may have thrown a spanner in the works there - albeit a very cute one :) Either that, or the flock is about to expand to four should i not be able to find her rightful owner!

She started to reveal her full repertoire of sounds yesterday, and she has such a very sweet little voice :) She also makes kissy kissy sounds, can say "peekaboo", and I'm pretty sure I heard a "pretty bird" in there too. I got some video yesterday - apologies for the big bird poop at the end, but bird poop is an inevitability for folks like us ;)

Sweet melodious voice with touch of vocalizations, and dollop of guacamole at the end!

Beware, your Ninja powers no match for MBS! :LOL:

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Beware, your Ninja powers no match for MBS! :LOL:
Yeah yeah I know, Scott. It was ever thus ;)

Just got back from a wellness check, our house guest has almost full adult plumage but is likely still less than a year old in my bird vet's opinion. Has not been microchipped, and is definitely a boy, so the name from here on in will be Jem :)

Poop exam and crop wash all showed really good results considering his big outdoor adventure, just waiting for blood test results for PBFD and psittacosis which will come back tomorrow, so will keep you all apprised. Wanting lots of head scratches following all the tests, trials and travails from this afternoon, so will be giving him lots of love and scratches from all of his new PF aunties and uncles too ❀️

D

Deleted member 42416

Yeah yeah I know, Scott. It was ever thus ;)

Just got back from a wellness check, our house guest has almost full adult plumage but is likely still less than a year old in my bird vet's opinion. Has not been microchipped, and is definitely a boy, so the name from here on in will be Jem :)

Poop exam and crop wash all showed really good results considering his big outdoor adventure, just waiting for blood test results for PBFD and psittacosis which will come back tomorrow, so will keep you all apprised. Wanting lots of head scratches following all the tests, trials and travails from this afternoon, so will be giving him lots of love and scratches from all of his new PF aunties and uncles too ❀️
He’s such a beautiful boy! Look forward to seeing more pictures!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Aaaaaaaaaaaand the good news is that we are PBFD and psittacosis negative - cue the choirs of angels, and HALLELUJAH!! πŸ‘ΌπŸ˜‡πŸŽΆπŸŽΊ

A pic of His Royal Fluffiness for y'all, and I am referring to Jem here, not my hubby's hairy arm ;)

littlejem.jpg

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
His Royal Fluffiness is adorable!! I think he is actually an ancient Pharoah…Jem-atut! He’s riding around on his litter like they did in those days:
View attachment 36700
That would be most suitable, Beaky, and befitting One of Such Fine, Regal and Noble Breeding, as He surveys His unworthy subjects (i.e. me!) from On High!!

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Jem is SO adorable and fluffy and ... ;A;

Also a PERFECT name. Love the homage to uncle Jim. And it sounds like "gem" I presume, as this little fluffers probably is. (also Jem-atut.. briliant.)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Jem is SO adorable and fluffy and ... ;A;

Also a PERFECT name. Love the homage to uncle Jim. And it sounds like "gem" I presume, as this little fluffers probably is. (also Jem-atut.. briliant.)
You got it in one, Aunty Skarila ;) ❀️

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
So there we were, minding our own business this afternoon (Friday in Australia), when my husband told me he'd see an obviously escaped cockatiel perched in the palm tree in our neighbour's back yard. Not thinking for one moment we would be able to successfully rescue "her" (not sure of gender but I'm going with female for now), we took a dish of pellets out there to try to tempt her down. After a brush with the local and very territorial noisy miner birds who almost chased her away, she cautiously made her way down and landed on my shoulder, and immediately took to those pellets with great enthusiasm!

And here's a pic of our little house guest ...
View attachment 36576

She's a pretty little thing, and very tame, so is obviously someone's much loved pet. I have made a report on www.parrotalert.com and advised my regular avian vet (not open on the weekends sadly) plus another bird vet a few suburbs away. Will be listing on Fb, and listing here on the off chance that the rightful owner may find us here at Parrot Forums.

I'm pretty sure someone out there is missing her very badly and I would love to be able to reunite her with her family, so please contact me by private message here if you think this little sweetheart is yours. :)
Oh what a pretty birdie! I am a "little" jealous but really so happy for you. Still praying for reunification with the owners of course but glad to know he is already in good hands of a world class bird mommy. He must have just escaped on the day you found him. What a lucky little devil:love:

Most Reactions