Funny budgie, parakeets and cockatiel stories

plutus1947

Jul 8, 2019
Intelligence

Hi Everyone,

The very first budgie I had (Bluey) I believe was extremely intelligent and did many strange things which showed its intelligence.

One springs to mind:

I was repairing an electrical device and Bluey, being hyper inquisitive decided to investigate.

I had put 7 screws in a spray can top and Bluey noticed this. He stood there simply looking at them for about a minute and then decided to remove each screw one by one.

After doing this he decided to have a little fly around and then came back to where he had dropped the screws.

He looked at them again and then proceeded to pick each one up and return them to the top he had removed them from.

It was fascinating to watch.

Another thing he insisted on is when we had our Sunday roast he wanted to sit on the edge of the table while we were eating. We gave him a small plate with some of the roast on it and he happily chomped his way through it.

Basically he had his dinner every Sunday with us.

I'm sure someone can top these stories so if you have any stories about the intelligence of budgies and cockatiels I'd love to read about them.

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
My brother (Mel) had a male African Grey Congo named Sam that could mimic sounds quite well and talked a lot. On occasion when Mel was in the shower he'd hear his wife call out and say "Mel, telephone". So he wrapped around a towel and went to the phone only to find out it wasn't his wife calling him . . . . . . . . . it was Sam.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
funny bird momma

Does anybody else catch themselves whistling to pets other than their bird? That’s been my m.o. since I got my keet. Not sure what the pups think of a whistle in response to a bark, but it gets their attention at least! :D

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Re: funny bird momma

Does anybody else catch themselves whistling to pets other than their bird? That’s been my m.o. since I got my keet. Not sure what the pups think of a whistle in response to a bark, but it gets their attention at least! :D

So funny you mention that...yup I do. Here kitty kitty kitty, whistle, come on Oreo...sadly he responded by looking at me like this(photo below)
He’s my dog that is trapped in a cats body. Plays fetch, will normally follow these commands: come, sit, and “do pretty”.

057b81dee7d4ce7a6fb7c137ec32cdfc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elle1

May 21, 2020
The budgie my family found loves the song Stayin' Alive by Bee Gees. I put music on today to try and make him more comfortable, and this little dude starts chirping along nonstop.

Sugarpie

May 24, 2020
The funniest thing my little Quaker Sugar ever did was try to attack my daughter, who was three at the time.

We had just returned from vacation, so Sugar was already mad at being left with my mother in law for a week. I took her out and put her on the floor and was holding her, and it was the one and only time that she bit me like she meant it. Her bites are normally no more than a mediocre pinch, even at her worst. She bit my cheek, hard, didn't draw blood but left a mark.

So I set her on the floor, and my daughter, 3, who she HATED (She's 21 and she still hates her, even the sound of her voice on the phone will send Sugar into a screech rant) was sitting about 8 feet away from me, not very close, but not very far away. Sugar was walking on my lap, jumped down onto the floor, and ran after my daughter with her wings up, screeching and yelling loudly, literally screaming at her as she charged after my poor daughter, and chased her down the hall. It was so funny! This tiny green bird, just terrorizing my kid. She managed to jump up onto a bed to avoid being bitten, but I feel like if she could have reached her she would have succeeded in getting a big bite in.

We still laugh about the time Sugar tried to kill my daughter, lol

WallyBird5

Jul 7, 2021
Parrots
Wally is the only birb right now, I do want a friend for him at some point
My bird Wally likes electronics. it's really cute when he sits on my ipad, pecks at it and walks around, then looks at me like "hey look i made something happen :D"
once he searched up the name of a fictional civil war i'd never heard of.
he also likes paying peekaboo, making kleenex sounds whenever he sees a kleenex, water sounds when I drink water with him on my shoulder, and chirping in ears.
as well he'll take naps on shoulders/knees/forearms, and if you move and wake him, he gets g r u m p y. luckily he's a budgie so it isn't that bad when he bites

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
My budgie Ziggy loves to sit underneath a bell and wear the bell as a hat. I couldn't capture him doing it in a photo but I will keep trying. Kai is also starting to copy this behavior. The other day, I caught them fighting over who got to wear the bell hat. 🙂 I love my little boys

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
One time, I was trying to get my budgie, Sprite, to eat a blueberry. She was sitting on a perch in her cage and I was holding a little piece of the blueberry up to her. She took the berry in her mouth, and threw it out of the cage and onto the floor. I got down in the floor to clean it up, and she ran all the way to the bottom of the cage to watch me clean up the mess. She had such an amused look on her face. She was clearly very proud of herself.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I recently adopted 2 budgies and I trained one to give small kisses in exchange for a treat
He was leaning in and got overexcited at some point. He jumped straight in the middle of my face to get closer.
I cannot tell you how many times our little Csilli did that!! XD

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wally would bathe in my cereal bowl on Saturday mornings as I read the newspaper (50 years ago lol)

Jim

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Context:
I have 3 budgies, so I put whichever two aren't having a training session in their cage so they don't disrupt the bird who is (they are very food motivated lol).

Ok, on to the actual story, this is about my youngest budgie named Pepper, who has balance issues.

So, I was training the other birds and Pepper was in his cage. He kept trying to stand on his perch but was falling more than usual because he was exited for his turn to train! Finally, he decided to hang upside down from the cage bars.

It was cute to say the least...

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sunny hangs upside down at night while sleeping😂

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Ok, I have a funny story.

A few years ago, when I owned only Jeff and John, I kept them in the same cage. One day, I saw John tried to mate with Jeff. I got such a big fright, and sent 1000+ messages to my mom about me thinking Jeff is a female. I even dreamt that night that he laid eggs 😅 If only I knew birds can be gay... lol

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Few short funny stories of fids I don't have any longer:
Romek always was afraid of us and preferred sitting in the cage than be outside. Outside he couldn't flying well because of too much panicking. He couldn't even find the way to his cage because he was panicking too much and was trying to find any "safe" place. Once time we put him on the cage drawer (? idk how it's called in English) which was partly pulled out. The cage door was opened... but he had "no time" to notice this fact because he was outside, so he wanted to return as quick as possible - so he squeezed in the drawer chink(?not sure how to call it?)
Sorry, this one can be not understandable because I'm not sure how some cage elements are called in English. But it was very funny to see him squeezing :LOL:

When Luna and Klaudia (our first bred Bourkes) were learning how to fly, accidentally one of them flew straight into Romek, so they both fell.

3. This one is ultra old, while I had my first budgies:
Once time Limonka decided to step on Szafirek's tail. Of course she fell because the "perch" wasn't stable:LOL:

jameslejass

Jul 25, 2022
Parrots
budgie
Re: funny bird momma

So funny you mention that...yup I do. Here kitty kitty kitty, whistle, come on Oreo...sadly he responded by looking at me like this(photo below)
He’s my dog that is trapped in a cats body. Plays fetch, will normally follow these commands: come, sit, and “do pretty”.

057b81dee7d4ce7a6fb7c137ec32cdfc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a beautiful Oreo you have, cats are different, probably like people, if such a comparison is appropriate! But. knew several people whose cats learned different commands, to the point that the cat could know more commands than the dog

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What a beautiful Oreo you have, cats are different, probably like people, if such a comparison is appropriate! But. knew several people whose cats learned different commands, to the point that the cat could know more commands than the dog
We had an Odie that was also a very big boy. He came to my roommate with that name. Funny that his essential dog nature was so visible to everyone.

jameslejass

Jul 25, 2022
Parrots
budgie
We had an Odie that was also a very big boy. He came to my roommate with that name. Funny that his essential dog nature was so visible to everyone.
] Great, but in what exactly did it manifest itself in him? If you remember of course

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
México
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
Rainbow is a 4 year-old budgie who enjoys eating bread and recognizes that word: when I say it to him, he runs or flies to me and looks for a piece of bread in my hands.
After I give him the first piece, he kicks it back or covers it with his tiny body before warbling for more. If I "find" the ball of bread and place it in front of him, he pretends to eat. But when I turn away, he kicks his bread back again (further) and chirps for more.

Most Reactions

Latest posts