Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG, Oscar loves the vacuum. He chases it and tries to be louder that it.

This is my story......

Last year we would leave Oscars cage open at the top as he would stay in his cage. We tried to see if he would leave it by going away for 30min, then 1hr, then 2hrs. He would stay in his cage. We would go out on weekends with his cage open and when we came back he would be snuggled in his cage looking all innocent. One day we tried turning on the TV and it didn't work! I did some trouble shooting, looked at the back and found out that the little bugger was chewing the AV cables and chewed them in half. Looking all innocent? Yea right. The cage stays locked now, not only because the TV (I thought was funny) but we now have a spunky cat.

You thought he was so innocent, Oscar has taught you a lesson
bb4.gif

Were you not afraid to leave Oscar outside his cage when no one was home? Birds are so unpredictable. We had a member who's bird chewed an electrical cord, injuring the bird badly, luckily the bird survived. Please read the post by Aussie Ben +- 2 weeks ago
So you think your house is "bird proof" think again. Fortunately Ben was present , training Buddy, when an unpredictable accident occurred. Luckily it had a happy ending, but had Ben not been present, Buddy would have had a tragic ending.

My house rule for Mishka
Whenever Mishka is outside her cage, someone must be present at all times. She is never left on her own.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I had to step out yesterday for only a few minutes and Rosie was on top of her cage. I briefly thought and then put her back in the cage. One could be forever sorry if you let the bird out with no supervision and left briefly only to return and find the bird caught or chewing on a cord or any other of the many many unsafe activities that could occur.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I don't know what it is about the vacuum, but it is awfully funny lol.

Mel, that is a very funny video of Shadow. We can see who wears the pants in the relationshop between those two lol.

J & K

Banned
Banned
Aug 7, 2010
Ontario
Parrots
Male Red Sided Eclectus
You thought he was so innocent, Oscar has taught you a lesson
bb4.gif

Were you not afraid to leave Oscar outside his cage when no one was home? Birds are so unpredictable. We had a member who's bird chewed an electrical cord, injuring the bird badly, luckily the bird survived. Please read the post by Aussie Ben +- 2 weeks ago
So you think your house is "bird proof" think again. Fortunately Ben was present , training Buddy, when an unpredictable accident occurred. Luckily it had a happy ending, but had Ben not been present, Buddy would have had a tragic ending.

My house rule for Mishka
Whenever Mishka is outside her cage, someone must be present at all times. She is never left on her own.

I agree 100% but as stated in my earlier post, Oscar would stay in his cage, now he stays in his cage when we are not around, and when he is out we are around him.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Why do I laugh when Eddie does something 'bad'? lol...something is wrong with my head....

Eddie loves his cashews, I buy small containers of raw ones from the local F&V shop. The clear plastic container they come in is similar to those salad/sauce containers you might get with take-out, you know the little disposable ones with the press on lids. Well i have been giving him the container to open, he seems to enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to pull off the lid and recieve a tasty treat. This morning he was sitting on the kitchen table while I was making his breakfast. I gave him the container so he could have something to do, He had a great time throwing it around. Eventually the lid came off and he was presented with his reward, BUT instead of gently taking a cashew out, he decided it would be more fun to grab the open container and throw it off the side of the table.....CASHEWS EVERYWHERE! As usual he just gave me a cheeky look and then chowed down on the few that were left on the table, while I went and picked them all up, one by one :rolleyes: Even though he had thrown the 'not so cheap' cashews all over the floor, all I could do was laugh.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Why do I laugh when Eddie does something 'bad'? lol...something is wrong with my head....

Eddie loves his cashews, I buy small containers of raw ones from the local F&V shop. The clear plastic container they come in is similar to those salad/sauce containers you might get with take-out, you know the little disposable ones with the press on lids. Well i have been giving him the container to open, he seems to enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to pull off the lid and recieve a tasty treat. This morning he was sitting on the kitchen table while I was making his breakfast. I gave him the container so he could have something to do, He had a great time throwing it around. Eventually the lid came off and he was presented with his reward, BUT instead of gently taking a cashew out, he decided it would be more fun to grab the open container and throw it off the side of the table.....CASHEWS EVERYWHERE! As usual he just gave me a cheeky look and then chowed down on the few that were left on the table, while I went and picked them all up, one by one :rolleyes: Even though he had thrown the 'not so cheap' cashews all over the floor, all I could do was laugh.

I would have loved to see him trying to open the container LoL
At least he had the sense to eat what was left on the counter.;)

Hey cashews ARE EXPENSIVE I SELL THEM
(my other business besides the forum) LoL :rolleyes:

Sometimes I put 4 nuts in front of Mishka
a cashew plain - a pecan nut - a walnut - an almond plain

Guess which ones :grey: always chooses

Oh sorry busy selling nuts now tell you later :D

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia

They sure are and I guess you would know;)! I spose its the very complex harvesting/preparation that bumps up the cost, I went to a cashew processing factory once :eek:wow. Oh well, Eddie made up for for the cost with comedy, I forgive him.......almost lol

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

They sure are and I guess you would know;)! I spose its the very complex harvesting/preparation that bumps up the cost, I went to a cashew processing factory once :eek:wow. Oh well, Eddie made up for for the cost with comedy, I forgive him.......almost lol

Made up with the cost with comedy
You are so correct, all our birds are priceless :grey: :red: :blue2:

J & K

Banned
Banned
Aug 7, 2010
Ontario
Parrots
Male Red Sided Eclectus
I thought nuts wer not good for Eclectus because they may contain fungus?

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I thought nuts wer not good for Eclectus because they may contain fungus?

From my understanding, thats just peanuts. Nuts are actually very good for Ekkies (in very small amounts). Although you should always check any nuts for fungus, peanuts are the biggest offenders ;) Nuts are great, your ekkie will thank you for them. You could try Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Pine nuts, Palm nuts etc mmm yum

charliebrown

Jan 7, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Parrots
Charlie Brown- SI Eclectus, RIP. Oliver aka Ollie - Vosmaeri Eclectus
I love the vacuum stories...

In addition to Charlie, I have two dogs... Well today we bought Charlie a new perch so he could hang out in various rooms throughout the house with us and feel comfortable because he doesn't like to sit on our hands and arms yet. Well I was moving him back to his cage because he was starting to yawn and get bored with us. Well sometimes transfers from one location to the other don't go well. He jumps off my arm and goes floating down to the carpet and lands in our bedroom. There is a dog crate in their from when our dog Lucy was a puppy. She still likes to sleep in there sometimes so we haven't moved it yet. Well Charlie saw it and thought it was his home. He hopped in her crate and starting climbing the sides and hanging upside down. All I could do is laugh and then Charlie starting laughing back at me..... and now I'm completely in love with the silly little guy.

Little guy in the dogs crate having a blast...

IMG_2644.jpg

Cage and new perch

IMG_2645.jpg

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Great set up you have for Charlie..
That is so cute of him going into the crate... he may have a new place to play...

thanks for sharing

jgourd

Oct 21, 2010
New England
Parrots
1 Greencheck Conure
1 Severe Macaw
1 Gala
1 Eclectus female
1 Military Macaw
My baby is too young to be funny so I'll write more about her when she actually does something funny.

My Girlfriend on the other hand never shuts her laptop and between her Cockatiel and Cockatoo they have gone through 3 laptops and now use an external keyboard which she is on the second of. My computers all have these giant old school IBM keyboards (the clicky kind) which are bird proof.

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
Well...

Luna normally sleeps on a little perch on my boyfriend's nightstand.

A couple mornings ago, I woke up to a faint chewing sound, flicked on the light, and discovered that she was chewing on my 1918 edition of Huckleberry Finn.

The damage was minimal, and at least I will always remember why there are tiny chew marks on the cover.

:eek:

melbourned

Sep 21, 2011
There are places on the web that sell replacement keyboards for laptops..... I think my eckie is more curious than my cat and just as mischievious.

Most Reactions

Latest posts