julieangel

Apr 23, 2020
I have been spending a lot of time with my green cheek conure lately but for the past two days he/she is head bobbing and regurgitating food while sitting with me... does this mean heā€™s a male or is it something both genders do? He just turned 20 a few weeks ago and I havenā€™t really seen this behavior before so I donā€™t know if I should be worried.
Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have been spending a lot of time with my green cheek conure lately but for the past two days he/she is head bobbing and regurgitating food while sitting with me... does this mean heā€™s a male or is it something both genders do? He just turned 20 a few weeks ago and I havenā€™t really seen this behavior before so I donā€™t know if I should be worried.
Thanks!

This year has been especially active with regard to Hormonal activities across the Northern Hemisphere, I'm not surprised that your Parrot is showing such activities this year.

The behavior you are seeing is more commonly noted with males, but can also be seen to a lesser degree from females.

Should you be worried? Well, I think that you should show caution as a Hormonal driven Parrot can inflict a very painful bite. At this point, take care not to stimulate your Parrot. Hand contact only on the head, no warm mushy foods, and no nesting places (dark places).

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Enzo, female CAG, does this too. He is telling you that (s)he loves you, and as said above could be hormonal so again take the above advice. Enzo has been nesting 3 unfertilised eggs for over a month now :(, so unless you are 100% sure that its a male, be careful.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yea- but you really don't want to encourage this behavior. Don't be mean about it or scold, but try not to attend to it either...Change the subject when this happens and make sure you aren't stroking your bird (head and neck petting only). Also, make sure you don't have any huts/tents/boxes/shadowy spaces in the cage (it will encourage hormones and this behavior can turn to aggression and other problems over time if he/she sees you as a mate).

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
in the cage or anywhere in the home. Before laying Enzo was hunting out such 'nesting' spots, kitchen draw, sock draw, behind closed doors and even behind the upstairs toilet..... basically anywhere that could be used to nest in. I will never make the same mistakes again as in future i will recognise the signs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts