Happy Campers

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Dan and I are waiting to hear about loan approval :confused: … iffen it goes through, we are the happy new purchasers of a pop-up camper trailer! :D We are very out-doorsy types but the wild and crazy, young-at-heart notion of roughing it in the wild (on rocks, in a cold, wet bag) just doesn’t do much for our old, sore rickety bones anymore. As youngsters, we used to travel all the wilds, pitch a pup-tent and feel like we were living high on the hog in a Hilton. But, times have changed and age :( has caught up with us.

It is a very basic camper … in a pinch it sleeps 6 (but, that means stacked one atop another). In reality, it sleeps 3 comfortably and has room enough to eat (kind of scrunched in), cook and take a spit-bath in private. (No potty or shower … like I said, just basic stuff). It has a heater and a mini-refrigerator. We will pull it with our 4Runner.

Now, this is where the EXCITING part comes in … I am TERRIFIED of towing anything … ANYthing … ANYTHING. As a child, I saw a trailer come unhitched (at Interstate speeds) from the truck pulling it … the trailer passed us on the right and the truck on the left :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!! … I was six’ish at the time and screamed for dear life (all of my six years of life flashed before my eyes!).

Dan has been trying all day to console me and calm me down; reassure me that we are NOT going to die. :eek: LOL This will be good for the many trips we are planning, most especially our fly-fishing expedition up to Montana … but, I think I am going to need a refill on my Valium prescription at the very least!

The next small concern I have is how in tarnation are we going to learn to back that thing up?? I have visions of us being in the WalMart parking lot doing circle 8’s backwards trying to fit into a parking space! (All the while with bystanders spiffing, laughing and heckling us!).

What a hoot this is going to be! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Just read your email, and I'm sorry but I haven't stopped laughing yet. :D I'm sorry

I'm sure your gonna have a great time (once your there) Do what I do when I'm travelling, stay up all night that way when I get in the car I usually fall asleep in about 2 mins. :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet

Deanna throws back a couple of Valium with a swigger of Brandy and gets on her knees to pray:

~God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
~God, Grant me the courage to change the things I can change,
~GOD, Grant me the wisdom to JUMP OUT OF THE VEHICLE BEFORE IT JACK-KNIFES!
~amen

**Deanna passes out in fear**

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Love the little prayer Deanna. I hate towing campers and trying to back them up is a nightmare. Usually Bryan gets stuck with that job and I get to be the one behind him waving me hands around to keep going or stop!!!

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Oh god, I can't even back my car up.. can't imagine backing up a camper!!
My boyfriend wants to get one.. I keep explaining that it needs to be large enough to accommodate at LEAST my macaw but I don't think he believes me :D

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
My boyfriend is horribly allergic to cats so unfortunately my kitties will be staying with my folks. It's fine though they have a great life here.. we live in the woods and they get to go play in 'em whenever they want too. I will miss them though.. my one, Jack, I found at the side of the road as a newborn and had to bottle feed. He's very attached to me:)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... I keep explaining that it needs to be large enough to accommodate at LEAST my macaw but I don't think he believes me :D

Well, lets see ... you get rid of one adult human male, and that would make enough room for your B&G AND Tyler ... you could probably get the 'zon in there too as long as it's not mating season and he's hormonal ... :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
"Amen" ...

pretty standard ending for prayers ... what is there to like about that?
:35:

No my lovely this part

~GOD, Grant me the wisdom to JUMP OUT OF THE VEHICLE BEFORE IT JACK-KNIFES!

Guess I did pretty much open myself up to that though didn't I :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
:17: :( :17: :( :17:

Ok, so I should be happy right? *sigh* Our loan went through. I should be a happy camper, right?? Right? :(

We're gonna DIE!! :eek: I just know it! We're gonna die. :(

Dan is very happy. I'm going to go take some Valium. And, a smidgeon of Brandy.

lol :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Ok, so far I've been making light of myself and the situation. Happy go lucky. But, in reality and in all seriousness and very earnestly and honestly, this has me scared out of my wits.

I've never towed anything in my life. Does anyone here have any towing experience (positive HOPEFULLY) and what is it like?? I mean, will we be towing the camper-trailer or will the camper-trailer be dragging us BEHIND it??

What about wind? What about snow and/or ice?? The camper has breaks on it; it wasn't required by law because of its weight, but we got the breaks anyway...just to be safer.

Oh brother ... I must get my wits together lest I give myself a heart attack! We close on the loan tomorrow afternoon. I spent nearly 5 hours this afternoon organizing all of the loan documents and insurance and everyone's schedules.

Dan keeps assuring me that all will be well ... he says that I have only to experience pulling it to see that it isn't a big deal. Sure hope he's right. If we are truckin' down I-70 and our camper passes us, I'm gonna get a little peeved (after I wet my pants!).

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
he says that I have only to experience pulling it

Yeah but did he tell ya that what he meant by that was he'd be in the car and you'd be behind TOWING the camper. :D :D :D :D :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Yeah but did he tell ya that what he meant by that was he'd be in the car and you'd be behind TOWING the camper. :D :D :D :D :D

I knew he was withholding something!! :eek:

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Dan has said he wants me to drive the camper home Friday from the dealership after they put the new hitch with safety features on and all of the wiring and brakes. :eek: I recommend iffen you be in the area Friday afternoon ... that you stay off all city roadways!!! LMAO! :D

We went to the bank today and closed the loan ... so we (and the bank, of course LOL) are the new, proud, happy (sort of) owners of a new Happy Camper!

Montana or bust!!!!!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I might come out to CO and watch you drive the camper home, just like I was going to when you and Dan were trying to hang the birdie perch earlier this month ... :D could be good times, in fact, I just might bring my video camera and see iffen I can't win some money!

:LOL:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Ohhhhhh I'm coming too. Wouldn't miss this for the world. :D

OP
Deanna

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Ok ... there is only one stipulation ... you both *must* ride IN (yes, INSIDE :eek:) the 4Runner with Dan and I (me driving :eek::eek::eek:) as we drive off the lot and on the way home!! ... Peanuts, seatbelts and in-house movie are provided. LMAO

(Did'ja change your mind about coming?) LOL!!

Post note edit: beer provided AFTER we make it home! Roflmao!!!

2nd Post note edit: Valium provided at any time! LMAO! :D :eek:

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
ATTENTION ANYONE IN THE COLORADO AREA

If you are in the Colorado area, please walk in the middle of the road for the rest of the week because the sidewalks are not safe! :LMAO:

Most Reactions