Hello Everyone, thanks for the great community

DavidD

Apr 29, 2020
Hi,

I'm new here but long time bird owner. My family and I have several (maybe too many?) birds. I'm a falconer, so not all those birds are parrots. Our oldest is a blue and gold macaw that's 45 or 46 years old now, depending on who in the family you ask.

We are adding a green wing or catalina/harlequin macaw to the family, so I thought I'd refresh my knowledge of young birds. The goal here is flight training (basically something to fly between while waiting for the right time to fly the longwings, not at the same time of course). I figure knowledge is key here. So I do have a question for you experienced fliers out there. I have access to some kites (the birds not the kids toy). They are pretty young and 100% can't harm a young macaw. Would it be a good idea to expose the bird to a "predator" early to reduce fear while free flying? There are no predators capable of taking a flying macaw in my country except perhaps a peregrine, but I'm concerned of the bird getting spooked.

You guys have built a fantastic community. I hope to learn a lot. Thanks for having me.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your menagerie! Thank you for the kind compliments!!

Few of us are experienced free-fliers, but we have a dedicated sub-forum: Free Flight - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

I would recommend creating an additional thread in that location to garner better responses. If you do, please change the wording just a bit to prevent "cross" or duplicate posting. Good luck with your new macaw!

Most Reactions