help! over 36hrs since 1st egg

bonton036

Nov 18, 2012
My lovebird Juliet has not layed her 2nd egg yet,..it has been 36 hrs now. I don't know what to do here. She is just having a hard time it seems. I have been up all night with her, just to make sure she is ok. What could I do to help her in this situation????? Is this normal? I feel so bad for her right now.

thanx
~Bonny

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Sometimes they take a few days... Unless she looks uncomfortable, have an egg bum... I wouldn't worry...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey bonnie, yes that's normal. If you don't want them to breed ,why the nestbox? You better research handfeeding and nursery management. Parent raised babies are best as breeder stock, handfeed babies for pets need experienced parront. You might want to consider pulling her eggs and replacing with fake eggs. I'm not sure your ready for babies.

OP
bonton036

bonton036

Nov 18, 2012
there is no nesting box. I did not even know she was pregnant. infact when I took over the care of them I was told the male was the femal and the female the male. this is all a shocker to me.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Sorry i misunderstood. You don't know if they're even fertile eggs. You might have 2 hens. Does she act like/look like she has another egg? I'm not that familiar with LBs, but she might not lay any more, how long has she been with out a nest box?

OP
bonton036

bonton036

Nov 18, 2012
I will be pulling the eggs. I am not prepared for anything like this, nor do I want to be right now. after this is over, they will be seperated, that I do know.

OP
bonton036

bonton036

Nov 18, 2012
there is another egg. I can see it. this is stressful!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
It's OK birds lay eggs all the time. Just keep her on a good diet.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If she can't lay the egg, rubbing some oil on her vet feathers may help as well as either increasing the humidity or placing her over warm water.

If she isn't struggling to lay the egg, then keep a close eye on her and make sure she can still poop!

OP
bonton036

bonton036

Nov 18, 2012
thank you for the encouraging words :) I certainly appreciate all the advice from everyone. I am sure that I am more nervous than my little feathered boogers...lol. I am quite sure that they are not both hens. I did catch then a few times mating w/each other...I just thought they were cunfused, because I thought they were backwards..lol. They were right & everyone else was just wrong. now I feel like a bird brain. ...lots to learn from this one.
I have to say since I have had them,.... little over a 1 1/2 months now that they can be rather amusing. Juliet like to play what I call 'feet'...that is when she is on inside of cage and I pretend to be getting her feet & I say feet as she works her way down side of cage. she seems to really enjoy it & Romeo is picking up on it as well. Ringing the bell is another,..she rings bell when she want to play too. we play 'I love you' and that is when I touch my finger to beak and keep saying " I love you".
I have been slowing changing their diet, because prior it was all seed.

And still no egg yet.....aaahhhh

~Bonny

Juliet is the darker green
Romeo is what I call olive in color

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Hate to break it to you, but two birds of the same sex will still mate with each other! :D

I haven't witnessed it in my own flock, but the closest that two came was two male budgies... they tried mating with each other, but neither one wanted to be bottom... so.... things didn't work out! lol

Came across an ad for a pair of mitred conures. Reason for the breeder selling them? Upon DNA sexing, she found out she had two females! Which explains why none of the eggs were ever fertile... :rolleyes:

Most Reactions