HELP with Sun Conure

BeachFind

Nov 26, 2013
Clearwater Beach FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and posted in the new members section last week about an injured Conure that came to us, so I will not go into the whole story again. It has become apparent very fast that it is not comfortable in our home. We have a small child and a cat who is wondering why we put its food in a cage! Didn't think I would be doing this so fast, but this little one has been through a lot and needs somewhere to call home. Will need someone that can spend a lot of time with it. It likes to be out of the cage, will not "step up" and generally tries to get away from you. Doesn't show any cage aggression when cleaning and doing daily cage cleans. If anyone is interested please let me know. Comes with a Prevue play top cage also.

Attachments

• photo-42.jpg
    photo-42.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 349

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hi. He looks so cute in there. I wish I could take another bird at this time, but it is just not possible. Is is still affected by an injury? Is he a quiet or noisy bird, or just a normal mix of both?

Someone is bound to come along and want to take him to a forever home.

OP
BeachFind

BeachFind

Nov 26, 2013
Clearwater Beach FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
It is actually a fairly quiet bird, doesn't seem to be affected by the injury. The vet even said it will heal fine. Since we have brought it home it has feathers regrowing. For now we put it in the living area during the day and it only makes a few squawks, then into a bedroom covered at night and its quiet. The biggest problem is it wants to be out of the cage, which is where we are running into cat problems. Squawk squawk until we open the cage door where it just tears out and under furniture. I can't keep the kitten locked up all day so the bird can play! We don't have a lot of space, a 1400 sq ft condo so I don't really have a "safe room" for it. It runs from us and is just not into us as people at all! And honestly, I don't know the slightest thing about training a bird! I felt a huge amount of guilt once I posted this thread and also an ad on craigslist. Got a lot of responses from the craigslist ad, just don't know how well they can be trusted. It sits with a ruffled appearance and just seems so unhappy. It could be me that needs the training! Had a teacher at my sons school who has done bird rescue and rehabilitation, she offered to take it in and work with it. Just worried that if we do that it will like her and not bond with us. I'm so torn!!!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Tessie.... the weather is great in Florida right now... perfect for a nice drive to Clearwater.....

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Yeah, my sister was telling about strolling on the beach on Thanksgiving. And here I am wrapped in my layers of blankets.

OP
BeachFind

BeachFind

Nov 26, 2013
Clearwater Beach FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
I was wrapped in blankets on Thanksgiving, soooo cold! There is a wonderful forecast in sight though! Well I guess now, I'm wondering if the mods could move this thread to an emergency HELP me section?! My fiancé and son have shown an overwhelming resistance to rehoming this little one, even though I feel it would be for the better. I continue to educate and try to interact constantly and maybe we are showing some progress :) it will now take fruits, and various veggies by hand. I even got about 5 minutes of what I will call "finger licking"?? and over all hand exploration today, still not a bite yet, even though I know it is coming. I feel I've read so much its overwhelming. Maybe I could volunteer with a bird rescue around here to get some more hands on, bird handling experience while under supervision. I do work from home and I'm alone mostly a solid 6 hours a day during the week, with the kitten of course. Tessie, does your sister care for birds?? I would love to meet some locals that could coach me on training. Seriously all so unexpected, I just want what is best for this little one.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I think you expected a lot in a short time. Birds are not like dogs and cats. Hang around here, ask a lot of questions, and we will make a bird person out of you. I suggest your getting a book on parrots at Petco or pet smart so your fiancé can learn too. If you let the bird out whenever he makes a fuss, then you are contributing to his behavior. He is just like a toddler so he will need to be treated as such. You have a young child so this should be easy. I would clip the wings just until he learned his place as well as his protection from the cat. Get a spray bottle to use on the cat whenever he looks interested in chasing. I have a cat and he pays no attention to the birds. The pets will eventually live in harmony. One bite from a bird will keep him away. Do not let the cat's salava get on the bird. I heard it is toxic.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Sun Conure Needs Home-Clearwater, FL

I was wrapped in blankets on Thanksgiving, soooo cold! There is a wonderful forecast in sight though! Well I guess now, I'm wondering if the mods could move this thread to an emergency HELP me section?! My fiancé and son have shown an overwhelming resistance to rehoming this little one, even though I feel it would be for the better. I continue to educate and try to interact constantly and maybe we are showing some progress :) it will now take fruits, and various veggies by hand. I even got about 5 minutes of what I will call "finger licking"?? and over all hand exploration today, still not a bite yet, even though I know it is coming. I feel I've read so much its overwhelming. Maybe I could volunteer with a bird rescue around here to get some more hands on, bird handling experience while under supervision. I do work from home and I'm alone mostly a solid 6 hours a day during the week, with the kitten of course. Tessie, does your sister care for birds?? I would love to meet some locals that could coach me on training. Seriously all so unexpected, I just want what is best for this little one.

It sounds like you're making progress! Volunteering at a rescue would definitely get you more hands-on experience (even if you're not holding a bird) and I'm sure you could learn a lot of good info from them :)

I won't move this thread, but I can close it if you're no longer wanting to rehome your sun. The best thing to do at this point, would be to start a new thread in the Behavioral section- let us know what "issues" you're having with your sun, and our members will help you out :) http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/

Also, if you haven't done so already, it would be fabulous if you posted an introduction in our New Members section. http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am moving this to the CONURE section, but will leave a temporary re-direct. :)

I also changed your title, so to not mislead folks. :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts