Hunter's 5th Surgery (& then 6th)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
re: Hunter's 5th Surgery (& then 6th)

Glad to see Hunter is doing so well following multiple surgeries. Those videos are just so cute! Wendy, you are such a dedicated parront and Hunter continues to thrive with great care. The vets must be super skilled to tackle such a tiny and specialized area.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

You all are the best!!! :heart:

Hunter's brand new toys arrived yesterday, and what is she currently playing with? A quick toy I made for her BEFORE the new ones got here. :rolleyes:

She's doing GREAT!!! :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT1czPu6JUY"]Hunter playing part two - YouTube[/ame]

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

It's actually quite astounding how well, and how quickly amazons bounce back...

They take a lickin' and keep on tickin' as the old timex commercials used to say. :green:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw

LOL Of course she is playing with the old one lol. Share a link to her new one. You know I use you for Toy reviews lol

The one you showed me with Drawers. BB thinks it is more fun to put stuff in than take out :) He will get something stand on top of it and drop it in. Wait a few take it out . Rinse and repeat :)

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Pearl, Female, Cockatiel: Penelope

I got my Cockatiel from a bad breeder, and maybe about a few weeks later I started noticing she has not opened one of her eyes. We kept and eye on it, (I just realized that was a joke, lol) but it only got worst. We took her to the vet and she had an infected eye. So she gave us eye drops to put in her eye, and did not help. So now she only has one eye, sadly. I know it's hard doing something like that, worrying about your pet like that. Good thing that did not happen to Hunter, I'm very glad Hunter is doing alright!! :D

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub

Give Hunter a kiss and a hug from MsJakiepoo and myself . I doubt jake would be giving kisses if they ever met. I just home and she's pretty clingy, jealous of the other birds, dogs, etc.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive

Glad to see Hunter doing so well and enjoying her toy so much. Shes a WoW :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

LOL Of course she is playing with the old one lol. Share a link to her new one. You know I use you for Toy reviews lol

The one you showed me with Drawers. BB thinks it is more fun to put stuff in than take out :) He will get something stand on top of it and drop it in. Wait a few take it out . Rinse and repeat :)

Christine: I can feel a video coming on! :D

Last edited:
OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Just got off the phone with Dr. Mickley.

I can breathe easier - it WAS another Xanthoma!! :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Glad Hunter is feeling better and that her eye is ok! That's such a delicate part of the body. I hope she doesn't get any more of these xanthomas.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986

I hope it doesn't come back too. If it's come back four times I'm thinking the likelihood is high. Did the vet talk about that? I'm very curious because my vet said he may have to do surgery on Venus for her respiratory issue. I feel a little better knowing and seeing how well Hunter has done with surgeries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Good news that it was "only" a xanthoma and nothing worse. Hope no more either!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I hope it doesn't come back too. If it's come back four times I'm thinking the likelihood is high. Did the vet talk about that? I'm very curious because my vet said he may have to do surgery on Venus for her respiratory issue. I feel a little better knowing and seeing how well Hunter has done with surgeries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, of course, we covered that subject extensively. There IS a chance it may come back. How high of a chance? Nobody knows!

The first time Hunter had it removed it came back within 3 weeks.

After her last surgery 4 years ago, she stopped getting them in her left eye (knocks on wood). BUT, if it comes back in the left eye, there is absolutely not enough tissue left to remove it again, so Hunter would most likely lose that eye.

As for the right eye, I HAVE to have hope that the xanthoma was removed in its entirety.

I've aged 20 years since that 'little' incident.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot

So glad to hear nothing bad about the last xanthoma and that Hunter is happily playing away :)

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive

Hopefully Hunter will have no more eye problems and that the xanthoma does not re occur ...she is a warrior :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)

Poor hunter! Hugs from Parker and myself to both of you. Glad it wasn't anything more but it sucks you had to go through this again :(

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20

Glad to hear hunter is doing better. :)

Birb

Feb 15, 2016
Idaho
Parrots
Sunshine 5 MO Sun conure, Budgie s: Kensington, Caleb, Alfie, and Piper. Ruben 7 MO GCC

Fingers crossed it doesn't come back! I'm sure the tips will be appreciated! Lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts