I may need to rehome my Sun Conure, I feel hopeless and desperate.

eliana.matt

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure- Gilly
English Budgie0- Spice
I have a Sun Conure named Gilly who was rehomed to me at the beginning of the year. He is 4 years old and he is the love of my love, he has the biggest personality and is extremely affectionate and loving. But like all Suns, he can be quite loud at times and needs lots of attention. I'm living at home with my family, and I am not home during the day because I have school, and as I am the only person he's bonded to (my family just put up with him), he calls for me throughout the day. I think he may have separation anxiety possibly. But anyways, it is hard on my mum who is home during the day and I understand. My parents just recently told me that I may have to consider rehoming him.

The idea of rehoming him absolutely breaks my heart, as I suffer from an anxiety disorder and depression and often he is the only reason I get up in the morning, he brings me so much joy. But being realistic, I feel concerned for his quality of life as he has no company when I am at school, and this will only continue when I go to university. I don't know how I will cope without him, he is my lifeline.

So any advice would be appreciated, but in particular, I want to look into foster care if possible, only I am inexperienced with the process. Ideally, I would like it if I could have someone foster him for the next five years, while I finish university. After that, I would have my own place and be able to give him far more attention. I couldn't bear the idea of losing him if I surrendered him and he ended up somewhere with someone I didn't know. Is this something possible?

I live in Queensland Australia, for reference. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I have no suggestions regarding rehoming or fostering etc.

BUT. With my Sunnie I came up with a "quietness game," which I used to teach her quietness as an Option. It does not make her quiet all the time - Far From it! - but it does add Quietness to her repertoire.

I detailed it in this post: quietness game
Also she has a nice ring-a-bell https://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Compa...ber+ball&qid=1661345389&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2 and I make a point of Responding when she rings it, whenever possible, whereas I try my best (though I often fail!) to ignore her when she yells. (To a point...)

SO she does Not yell "continually." Yes when she yells, she is very loud. But I am able to work-from-home doing Telephone work and she will be quiet most of the time.

Oh also - I run background-music videos on television via youtube, constantly, and choose specific ones (aquarium videos) for when I am Not gonna be there.

Anyways I do not know if any of this might be helpful to you. Perhaps you have already considered all the options and re-homing is the only thing that will work. I only mention this just in case you maybe have Not done so.

OH and to add to these thoughts. TArget training can be very useful with all birds. It gives them a focus for their intelligence. If your parents are WILLING, target training can be a way for the bird to bond with them also.

AGAIN - not to say this Is or Is Not right for you. It's not fully clear to me from your post, have your parents & bird ONLY "not bonded," or do parents Not WANT to bond with bird? IF IF they are willing, then target training and quietness game, ETC, could be a way to help create the bond, and ADD quietness to birdie's repertoire. (However you will NEVER achieve a "quiet" Sun Conure.!! It would be unkind to even attempt. But you can have long stretches of much-less-noise.)

BUT if this result will not work for your situation, then I hope you are able to get the best possible re-home or foster-home for her.

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Hi, I’m really sympathetic about your situation. I have a Sun Conure too and understand their noise level. Honestly, I’m able to nap through it at this point.

For your situation, I know music or the TV sometimes helps with noisy birds. They get anxious without stimulation and silence so it is legitimately helpful. Speaking of stimulation, toys and puzzles with high valued treats might help distract them until you come home so that they aren’t just waiting until you come back home. You should also think about training. You don’t want inadvertently be training your bird to screech when you leave by approaching them whenever they call. By doing this, they will expect you to come back whenever they screech.

You may also want to consider telling to your parents how much this bird helps you with your mental health so they understand how much they mean to you. Maybe you can get your parents to just talk to your bird and get to know each other! A familiar figure may help Gilly feel better when you’re gone and at the very least shorten down the screaming.

Personally, all of this works for me. I know my conures are very silent whenever I am gone because my family is around the house. They live in our living room so the TV is usually on and there are people around or sitting near them. My birds also have lots of toys inside and out of their cage to distract them. The onslaught of noise only occurs when they realize I’m home. Good luck on all of this!
:)

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I have a Sun Conure named Gilly who was rehomed to me at the beginning of the year. He is 4 years old and he is the love of my love, he has the biggest personality and is extremely affectionate and loving. But like all Suns, he can be quite loud at times and needs lots of attention. I'm living at home with my family, and I am not home during the day because I have school, and as I am the only person he's bonded to (my family just put up with him), he calls for me throughout the day. I think he may have separation anxiety possibly. But anyways, it is hard on my mum who is home during the day and I understand. My parents just recently told me that I may have to consider rehoming him.

The idea of rehoming him absolutely breaks my heart, as I suffer from an anxiety disorder and depression and often he is the only reason I get up in the morning, he brings me so much joy. But being realistic, I feel concerned for his quality of life as he has no company when I am at school, and this will only continue when I go to university. I don't know how I will cope without him, he is my lifeline.

So any advice would be appreciated, but in particular, I want to look into foster care if possible, only I am inexperienced with the process. Ideally, I would like it if I could have someone foster him for the next five years, while I finish university. After that, I would have my own place and be able to give him far more attention. I couldn't bear the idea of losing him if I surrendered him and he ended up somewhere with someone I didn't know. Is this something possible?

Have you thought of maybe turning on the TV, or the radio on for him when you go off to school? That might help, I think. I have a 12.5 year old captivity-born-and-raised Congo African Grey Parrot named Aziza, and I turn on the TV for her whenever I leave my house for any length of time, plus I also cover her cage at night, as well. Hope I've been of some help here.

Witchhazelharpy

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
Apple and Zippy. R. I. P. Bennie who passed very recently.

So sorry you have to come to face this difficult decision, rehoming birds can be a despairing experience. ❤️ if you're often too busy to spend time with Gilly, I'd recommend getting him a friend if possible to spend time with him. However, that requires more care and is completely up to you. Or you can get a friend to come over and play with him while you're at school. A big cage and lots of fun toys can stimulate your bird while you're away. I'd also recommend a radio to play while you're away to help your bird feel less alone.

You have to be absolutely sure if you want to rehome him. Birds form a deep bond with their owners and it seems it will be a really upsetting experience for you considering how much you are bonded with Gilly. Please think about it carefully.

Best wishes to you and Gilly ❤️

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so desperately sorry. I have had a Patagonian Noise Machine for 38 years, and there have been many close calls. My heart breaks for you.

Here's my story, which I offer only as my personal support.
I got him in 1984 on complete and idiotic impulse. I was fearing getting evicted due to his noise, and my family at the time HATED him. I recall struggling to make a decision, sitting on the floor of my townhouse, watching him race and skip and frolic around on the tile floor, and then run to me GRINNING, so proud to be showing off for me. I would just stare at him and be amazed: imagine --- a real parrot in my house, and it loved me! I felt so guilty and inadequate and afraid at one point that I had him in his travel cage and was planning to take him back to the bird store. I opened the front door and couldn't go through. Closed it. Sat down. Took my little love out and promised him we would stay together.
I didn't really believe it, but I wanted to. Eventually, I did. I was in college back then, and at least I could spend a lot of time with him.
Then there were were years (about 25 of them) when 5-6 days a week, I was gone at 7:30-ish and back at 6-ish.
Some did and will consider me wrong and think I should have re-homed him. My husband at that time detested the bird. My current ol' man tolerates him with good humor. No, the bird wasn't responsible for the first marriage's ending!
Anyway, here is what I think made it work.
I moved and got new jobs maybe 5 times or so. BUT...
Every morning, he had at least ten minutes, and every evening, he had 20 or so. I have always kept him on a natural light schedule, in a separate room, so sometimes those times together were in the dark. During the day, he had a big window looking out on something interesting, a television on one of his favorite channels (music channels, shopping channels), a biggg cage, lots of fun foods, and a few toys that I changed out regularly).
He KNEW he could count on those two crummy sessions a day. Somehow we both made it.
I'm now retired and times are good again. Side-note... when I first started being able to spend much more time, he was strangely aggressive and jumpy. Eventually we settled down.
I don't know if I am doing a service or a dis-service in even suggesting you keep your bird. I do know I can't imagine life without mine at this point.
Good luck to you in making a decision. And welcome to the Forum... you'll get lots of empathy and advice here. I'm so glad you found us.

9lhIlM0.jpg

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I can sympathize with you, because I had a pretty similar experience with McGee, my long-since passed on Noble Macaw, who passed on 2 months before his 20th birthday. One of my neighbors worked nights and slept during the day, and she'd constantly pressured the now-ex manager of our complex to get on my case, which he did. She was clearly hoping that I'd get rid of McGee, but I didn't, and she got the guy who then lived across the hall from me to do likewise. One morning, as I was going out for my early morning jog, I saw my troublesome now ex-neighbor coming after finishing her jog. I told her that I'd appreciate her coming and talking to me if she had a problem. She made a quick retreat inside the building, and upstairs to her apartment.

Later, as I was finishing my jog, I saw my ex-neighbor heading towards the MBTA station. When she saw me coming in the opposite direction, she immediately made a bee-line across the street, stumbling and almost falling as she did so. It was clear that she had something to hide. I confined McGee to my working studio, and shortly thereafter, my now-ex neighbor moved out. I did not have any trouble after that.

When McGee passed on 2 months short of his 209th birthday, in early February of 2010, due to unknown causes, and after doing extensive research on exotic birds, and taking time to mourn McGee's passing, I decided on an African Grey. I got Aziza in mid-April of that year, and she's been with me since.

Most Reactions

Latest posts