I need help! (Making a decision)

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So my birthday is coming up (Feb 22) and I was talking to my mom about how I don't like Lincoln's cage. (I got it used (came with Lincoln) and it's not in that great of condition. It falls apart very easily, difficult to get the bottom tray out due to the cage getting warped at some point, and paint is starting to fleck in areas / rust forming. anyways-) and my mom mentioned asking for a new cage for my birthday. I really want a a new cage for Lincoln but A) I don't know what specific cage (taking any and all suggestions for a male eclectus) B) I COULD instead request one of the celtic(?) pack-o-bird carriers as the carrier that came with him is even worse and I absolutely hate transporting him in it. It would also make getting him some sunshine easier as I don't think I'm going to be able to harness train him anytime soon. The cage is manageable right now and the rust is all at the bottom where he can't really get to but then I don't know when the next time the opportunity to get a new cage will come up.

thoughts / suggestions?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This is the cage I have used and purchased for years. Find it on birdcages4less.com

Assure that you are on their site!!! Near every one of the competitors pay to list above them!!! So Assure you are on their site!!!

Lani Kai Lodge Playtop Large Bird Cage
On Sale! $299.00
Size: 32"W x 22"D x 64"H

They have a larger version for 449.00

Why I like this cage and this supplier:

- 1/2" (13 mm) bar spacing
- powder coated
- Full Height Front Door!!! Easy to access, Easy to Clean, Etc, Etc, Etc...
- Take the seed catchers off and you can wheel it though near all doorways.
- They only sell cages and cage accessories! Shipping staff know what is included and rarely ship incorrect or missing parts.

Longtime source for Bird Cages!!!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Look at it this way: a cage is mandatory requirement. Backpack is not. If mandatory stuff is not in good condition Take care of the mandatory stuff first. Go for the cage.

Priorities and all. Adulting sucks.

I’m in your boat, you very much described Parkers cage. Flaky paint, rust spots, came with him, though his is solid and not falling apart. He has his own room so I’m fairly certain his next cage will be a walk in aviary that can fit in a bedroom.. But the one I’m vaguely considering is $1300, which is not a reality for me at the moment.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
What is Lincoln's cage like, other than rust? It's not that expensive to have a cage sandblasted, small breaks in welds fixed, and powder coated. Then you essentially have a new cage. I think it's lots cheaper than a new cage, but if the old one is unacceptable even if restored, you want a new one. Secondhand cages are sometimes really cheap, and if they are in good shape and you can disinfect them completely, can be a good deal.

If you are handy, you could probably rig up a backpack carrier. You need an old backpack - an old internal frame version is usually almost free. Then scrounge for framing - maybe even aluminum tent poles or pvc - and stainless steel mesh comes in a variety of sizes, some nearly transparent.

Most Reactions

Latest posts