im not sure if my conure is unwell or not

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
I have two conures, cinnamon (female, olive) and green cheek conure (male, rio). both are bonded and share the same cage. I was gone for 4 months so im not sure what their activity level or diet was like (even though i specifically ask
ed for mainly pellets diet with fruits and veggies and supplementary seeds).

Since theyve been back ive cut down seeds, mainly pellets with fruits and sugar snap peas and these vitamins the pet store gave me.

I got my birds wings, nails and beak trimmed around a week ago, and they actually lost olive (let her fly and had a hard time with her) (this was the first time this happened). I was really freaked out bc she's already been small and she absolutely hates being handled/gets stressed easily and is more sensitive then rio. Luckily everything was fine in the end. (i trim their wings bc theyre really crazy fliers and im always worried they will hurt themselves)

Its been a couple days since then and yesterday I noticed she wasnt flying well (thing is she flies well enough even with her wings trimmed and she was fine until like yesterday) and i dont know if its also bc its molting season. I think shes being a little more sleepy too and hunched over but i dont know if im looking too much into it or if she really is. she did also get her wings trimmed and both birds are always more mild/calm after until they start to come back quite a bit. She is eating well though and otherwise normal.

Im really hesitant about taking her to the vet, i've been reading reviews and even though a lot are good, theres a handful of really bad reviews of bird mistreatment which resulted in the death of the bird or the meds they gave. on top of that olive really really hates being handled and i dont want her stressed out. Im so confused and i dont know what to do, i dont know if im just looking too much into it or what but i dont want to bring her to the vet only for her to end up dead bc of it.
ive attached some videos and pictures of olive.
bird4.jpg

bird3.jpgbird2.jpgbird1.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Not all wing trims are created equal, can you show us her wings extended so we can see the clip?

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I have two conures, cinnamon (female, olive) and green cheek conure (male, rio). both are bonded and share the same cage. I was gone for 4 months so im not sure what their activity level or diet was like (even though i specifically ask
ed for mainly pellets diet with fruits and veggies and supplementary seeds).

Since theyve been back ive cut down seeds, mainly pellets with fruits and sugar snap peas and these vitamins the pet store gave me.

I got my birds wings, nails and beak trimmed around a week ago, and they actually lost olive (let her fly and had a hard time with her) (this was the first time this happened). I was really freaked out bc she's already been small and she absolutely hates being handled/gets stressed easily and is more sensitive then rio. Luckily everything was fine in the end. (i trim their wings bc theyre really crazy fliers and im always worried they will hurt themselves)

Its been a couple days since then and yesterday I noticed she wasnt flying well (thing is she flies well enough even with her wings trimmed and she was fine until like yesterday) and i dont know if its also bc its molting season. I think shes being a little more sleepy too and hunched over but i dont know if im looking too much into it or if she really is. she did also get her wings trimmed and both birds are always more mild/calm after until they start to come back quite a bit. She is eating well though and otherwise normal.

Im really hesitant about taking her to the vet, i've been reading reviews and even though a lot are good, theres a handful of really bad reviews of bird mistreatment which resulted in the death of the bird or the meds they gave. on top of that olive really really hates being handled and i dont want her stressed out. Im so confused and i dont know what to do, i dont know if im just looking too much into it or what but i dont want to bring her to the vet only for her to end up dead bc of it.
ive attached some videos and pictures of olive.View attachment 30964

If you are worried about taking your birds to a vet, I understand you. Speaking from my experience, my bird get stressed when she had to see her vet too. The strangers, strange procedures and weird equipment on top of an unfamiliar place. And she remember people and equipment from her previous encounter as well. Coming home, she was shaken, refusing the person who walk her in to see the vet.

I imagine that wing clipping could damage the bird's psychologically in the same way as seeing the vet. Perhaps even more, like getting an operation with a vet. After all, if cut too deep, they could be crippled. It is sad that it is still a common practice.

Only you can prevent such stressful incident from reoccurring by being hesitant about wing clipping in the future.
Instead of limiting crazy fliers mobility with wing clipping, how about limiting access areas, give them new foraging toys, rearrange their perches, add more natural branches and plants, so that they play till they are exhausted.

Since you are here to discuss about what is best for your birds. I fear the worst from reading about the incident. Wing clipping is a matter of choice, while seeing a vet is a necessity. So please do not hesitate to
call up a few vet to see which one sounds trustworthy and try them out. You can always change your mind.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you, Olive, and Rio! Thanks for sharing lovely pics and video!!

While I don't see Olive in obvious distress, parrots naturally hide illness as long as possible. When you see an obviously sick bird, it generally has been unwell. Intense moults are marked by significant pin feathering and lethargy. The decision to visit a vet must be balanced by risks and rewards. Best to seek an avian certified practice with abundance of good reviews. Nearly every quality practice has some negatives. On the theory one potentially sick bird affects the other, notice anything unusual with Rio? How long have you had the pair, can you compare Olive's prior moults?

From the diet point of view, most parrots need greater proportion of veggies to fruits. Yes, they can be stubborn and there are techniques to encourage greater interest. Vitamins generally unneeded unless suggested/prescribed by vet. Too much of a good thing overworks liver and kidneys to process excess nutrients.

OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
If you are worried about taking your birds to a vet, I understand you. Speaking from my experience, my bird get stressed when she had to see her vet too. The strangers, strange procedures and weird equipment on top of an unfamiliar place. And she remember people and equipment from her previous encounter as well. Coming home, she was shaken, refusing the person who walk her in to see the vet.

I imagine that wing clipping could damage the bird's psychologically in the same way as seeing the vet. Perhaps even more, like getting an operation with a vet. After all, if cut too deep, they could be crippled. It is sad that it is still a common practice.

Only you can prevent such stressful incident from reoccurring by being hesitant about wing clipping in the future.
Instead of limiting crazy fliers mobility with wing clipping, how about limiting access areas, give them new foraging toys, rearrange their perches, add more natural branches and plants, so that they play till they are exhausted.

Since you are here to discuss about what is best for your birds. I fear the worst from reading about the incident. Wing clipping is a matter of choice, while seeing a vet is a necessity. So please do not hesitate to
call up a few vet to see which one sounds trustworthy and try them out. You can always change your mind.
thats true ive never though of it that way since they have to get their beaks and nails trimmed anyways. Ill be more careful in the future. Olive has been much better today, thank gawd , but ill continue to monitor her behaviour and if she seems unwell ill call up a few avian vets.

OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
Welcome to you, Olive, and Rio! Thanks for sharing lovely pics and video!!

While I don't see Olive in obvious distress, parrots naturally hide illness as long as possible. When you see an obviously sick bird, it generally has been unwell. Intense moults are marked by significant pin feathering and lethargy. The decision to visit a vet must be balanced by risks and rewards. Best to seek an avian certified practice with abundance of good reviews. Nearly every quality practice has some negatives. On the theory one potentially sick bird affects the other, notice anything unusual with Rio? How long have you had the pair, can you compare Olive's prior moults?

From the diet point of view, most parrots need greater proportion of veggies to fruits. Yes, they can be stubborn and there are techniques to encourage greater interest. Vitamins generally unneeded unless suggested/prescribed by vet. Too much of a good thing overworks liver and kidneys to process excess nutrients.
yah im trying really hard to find a good avian vet but the bad reviews are scaring me. Thankfully Olive was completely good today. I'll continue to monitor her behaviour closely though. rio is completely fine, he's all normal and acting just like usual! I've had them for almost three years now, there are some days she's a little more tired then usual but I dont remember that well.

ah i try so hard to get them to eat more veggies but they refuse, the only ones they eat are sugar snap peas. okay, ill cut back the vitamin as well!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
yah im trying really hard to find a good avian vet but the bad reviews are scaring me. Thankfully Olive was completely good today. I'll continue to monitor her behaviour closely though. rio is completely fine, he's all normal and acting just like usual! I've had them for almost three years now, there are some days she's a little more tired then usual but I dont remember that well.

ah i try so hard to get them to eat more veggies but they refuse, the only ones they eat are sugar snap peas. okay, ill cut back the vitamin as well!
They can be so stubborn with dietary changes! Some great advice here: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/converting-parrots-to-a-healthier-diet-tips.23367/

Another technique is "chop challenge." Prepare three identical bowls of veggies/fruits, offer one each to Rio and Olive. Third bowl is yours, begin eating with pleasure. Bob your head, make "mmmm" sounds of delight. Parrots are flock eaters, you are one of the flock!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
thats true ive never though of it that way since they have to get their beaks and nails trimmed anyways. Ill be more careful in the future. Olive has been much better today, thank gawd , but ill continue to monitor her behaviour and if she seems unwell ill call up a few avian vets.
You have mentioned about wing clipping to prevent accidents. Do you mean flying in to windows?

I read that birds fly into windows because they can not see whether it is open or close due to the glass. To prevent such accidents, we help Emerald by telling her where the glass windows are. I put her on my left hand, and bring her face close to the glass while I tap on the surface with my right่hand. She remembered and never flew into a window, opened (by accident) or closed. We, only had to show her to each and every closed windows in the room, by tapping. We didn't put any color sticker. I was surprised she remembered so well. Emerald had never had her wing clipped, had never had any accident from flying.

Linda lee

Oct 30, 2021
Santa cruz CA
Parrots
Had a sun conure. Fed her too many pine nuts. She already had a sinus problem. Nuts are too rich for birds. I or 2 max. It's like dairy for people. The nuts make mucus in the birds too.
I think vets trim way too much of the birds wings.

Linda lee

Oct 30, 2021
Santa cruz CA
Parrots
Had a sun conure. Fed her too many pine nuts. She already had a sinus problem. Nuts are too rich for birds. I or 2 max. It's like dairy for people. The nuts make mucus in the birds too.
You have mentioned about wing clipping to prevent accidents. Do you mean flying in to windows?

I read that birds fly into windows because they can not see whether it is open or close due to the glass. To prevent such accidents, we help Emerald by telling her where the glass windows are. I put her on my left hand, and bring her face close to the glass while I tap on the surface with my right่hand. She remembered and never flew into a window, opened (by accident) or closed. We, only had to show her to each and every closed windows in the room, by tapping. We didn't put any color sticker. I was surprised she remembered so well. Emerald had never had her wing clipped, had never had any accident from flying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts