Injured wing?

sonayay

Aug 20, 2014
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies
Amber and Cloudy
My budgie will sometimes let his left wing droop down beside him, he is not stretching it, he just lets it sit there and he'll drag it along for a bit when walking, but he'll tuck it back in if someone comes near. Also after flying, that wing will shake a bit, and he'll hold it in an awkward position for a little while, then everything will be back to normal. He started doing this for a few minutes once or twice a day, but it's only been around 3 days that his wing has looked hurt. Today I haven't noticed him dragging it, but the wing does shake a bit every now and then after flying.
The only other thing wrong with that wing is that it is missing a few of his long primary flight feathers. The drooping of his wing started after he lost those feathers. Also on both sides of his wings there are a couple of the longest primary flight feathers that look like they have been cut in half, except the ends of those feathers look chewed up and tattered. I took him to the vet before he started dragging his wing and the vet checked his wings and didn't say anything about the tattered feathers.
I called the vet clinic the day he started dragging his wing and they said that he might have just bumped it and that I should keep an eye on it.
Should I take my budgie to the vet or do you think that it will go away?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If he's missing feathers on only one wing, it probably feels odd to him or maybe he's a bit out of balance, but everything should workout as it's moulting season for most parrot species.....

Good luck.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts