Is it normal to want to eat your bird’s food?

Is it normal to want to eat parrot food/treats?

• Total voters

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
The most interesting question is "What is Normal"? And who wants to be normal, anyway?
Hear hear! LOL!!

I've eaten bird food, both seeds and pellets. SOme pellets are drek in my opion. Seeds aren't awful.

As for dog and cat food... Am I weird for saying I like Milkbone dog biscuits? canned food is gross, though. Do not recommend :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hear hear! LOL!!

I've eaten bird food, both seeds and pellets. SOme pellets are drek in my opion. Seeds aren't awful.

As for dog and cat food... Am I weird for saying I like Milkbone dog biscuits? canned food is gross, though. Do not recommend :)
Yes. You are weird. 😂

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The most interesting question is "What is Normal"? And who wants to be normal, anyway?
you are very correct! No two people are identical, just like potatoes. No two people behave identically, and no two people function the same. And yes, being the “normal” is so boring. And having to pretend to be that normal is even more boring.

As for “what is normal”, it is something that is always changing depending on the time period and the societal norms of that time. For a lot of history, it was fairly normal to do things that’d be considered barbaric, cruel, egregious, just all the words for violent, evil, abhorrent, etc. for example, the treatment of other races or women. Those are prime examples of what was considered normal then, but is considered to be evil now.

Depending on the society, the “normal” will change. And those who do not fit that ever changing standard, will be treated differently. Even if it’s something more subtle like the way you dress, look, or talk. Trying to fit into that normal is quite difficult, and it’s best to not try to hard to fit into that. Because what’s normal now, will change in a few years. Also, it won’t matter whether you fit into that or not, because in the end, it doesn’t matter, as long as it doesn’t harm anyone, who cares?

Point of this whole ramble? Normal is lame and always changing.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hear hear! LOL!!

Yeah, so far I’ve only felt neutral about one brand’s flavor and it’s Harrison’s. Ironically, Rico seems to just not even like the brand anymore lmao

Seeds? Eh I’m not a fan. I do LOVE pumpkin seeds though! What’s your most tolerable seed in your opinion?

Weird? Nah, I eat arguably weirder things. But I would pay big money to see you and my dog argue over whether milkbone is good or not. (She eats almost anything but not milkbone!)

Ew I 100% agree, canned food is NASTY. I accidentally got some on my finger back in 2020, mistook it for something I ate earlier, licked it off and instantly regretted it. I wanted to die in that moment. It was god awful and it felt like I was going to puke and cry.

Unrelated, but that canned food story reminded me of something I did in 2021 that was so idiotic that I literally could have killed myself out of pure stupidity and curiosity.

I’m mildly allergic to pomegranate (ingesting it causes me to get VERY sick, and sometimes I form hives) and I bought pomegranate oil for my diffuser (I had no clue it was bad for birds but I rarely used it). It smelled so good, I decided to try it. One drop. As SOON as it touched my tongue, it BURNED. I washed my mouth out several times but I could still taste it for days. But that night, I was struggling to breathe, I had a severe headache, I had hives on my ribs, and I was severely dehydrated, and nauseous. I vomited several times and I felt like I was dying. I didn’t realize it was an allergic reaction until 3 days later when it finally passed and I thought about it. It was the same reaction that I have whenever I ingest meds with amoxicillin in it. Now I can’t even smell a pomegranate without feeling sick.

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I have tried all types of pellets, street bistro, tesoro treats, nutriberries, avi cakes, sprouts, avian tea.

I have no desire to try the freeze-dried mealworms, though.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Is it normal? No.
Are you being weird? Also no.
I personally have no interest in my birds' food, though the colorful pellets have been mildy tempting.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Sounds like Ralph has a good hooman! What is Ralph’s favorite food?

What brand was it? What’s it taste like?

As someone who is constantly wondering what dog biscuits taste like, what did the treat taste like? Are you suuuure it didn’t cause you to chase cars or bark at strangers? Perhaps you bit some people?
Ralph's absolute favorite food is fresh sugar snap peas. He'll eat warmed up frozen peas too, but he's not quite as enthusiastic about them. He likes most vegetables except for carrots and sweet potatoes. His favorite treat is plain air-popped popcorn.

It has to be around 60 years ago that I tried the dog biscuit, so my impression of how it tasted might not be too accurate now. I can say that the multigrain crackers I used to get for Scooter the CAG tasted about the same.

Now that I think of it, it wasn't long after I ate the dog biscuit that I bit my dentist's thumb. At the time, it seemed accidental, but maybe it really wasn't. :rolleyes:

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Ralph's absolute favorite food is fresh sugar snap peas. He'll eat warmed up frozen peas too, but he's not quite as enthusiastic about them. He likes most vegetables except for carrots and sweet potatoes. His favorite treat is plain air-popped popcorn.

It has to be around 60 years ago that I tried the dog biscuit, so my impression of how it tasted might not be too accurate now. I can say that the multigrain crackers I used to get for Scooter the CAG tasted about the same.

Now that I think of it, it wasn't long after I ate the dog biscuit that I bit my dentist's thumb. At the time, it seemed accidental, but maybe it really wasn't. :rolleyes:
Omg snap peas are the BEST!!! My grandma grows them in her yard and those peas taste ✨amazing✨

Holy cow! 60 years ago? That’s a long time ago! That’s longer than a lot of my family’s mere existence!

Omg!!!!!! Rabies!!!!!!!!!!! The dog biscuit turned you into a rabid dog!!!!1!1!1!1!!!!!1!!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Is it normal? No.
Are you being weird? Also no.
I personally have no interest in my birds' food, though the colorful pellets have been mildy tempting.
Would you munch on this?
33B1F7CF-702C-43F2-8277-3ED3C027C050.jpeg

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I have tried all types of pellets, street bistro, tesoro treats, nutriberries, avi cakes, sprouts, avian tea.

I have no desire to try the freeze-dried mealworms, though.
What tasted the best? And what do avicakes taste like? Is borb tea any good?

The mealworms will reanimate in your mouth! Nice and juicy, like a gusher! ☺️

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Nutriberries with the fruit in the middle are my favorites and I find myself sharing with the birds. Weird and Proud of it, LMBO!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Mmm crunchy like popcorn 😋
I ordered live mealworms on Amazon a few years ago to feed to the outdoor birds. They came in a plastic shoebox sized container with an oatmeal-like gruel for them to eat. When they fully mature they turn into big ugly black beetles so you have to feed them out before then and store the container in the fridge which may bother some family members that don't appreciate having worms and beetles next to their food . The live mealworms are much softer than the dried ones and they wiggle around a lot. The wiggling attracts the attention of all the local birds. I had chickadees rushing in and filling their beaks up with the wiggly worms and fly off to feed them to their chicks that were still in the nest.
NO, I did NOT taste them!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I ordered live mealworms on Amazon a few years ago to feed to the outdoor birds. They came in a plastic shoebox sized container with an oatmeal-like gruel for them to eat. When they fully mature they turn into big ugly black beetles so you have to feed them out before then and store the container in the fridge which may bother some family members that don't appreciate having worms and beetles next to their food . The live mealworms are much softer than the dried ones and they wiggle around a lot. The wiggling attracts the attention of all the local birds. I had chickadees rushing in and filling their beaks up with the wiggly worms and fly off to feed them to their chicks that were still in the nest.
NO, I did NOT taste them!
Mmmm fresh gooey mealworms 🤤 like a nice little Cadbury egg 😋🍽️

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
One time, I was too lazy to make myself lunch, so I just had some leftover chop. it was delicious.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I will say sometimes a fresh batch of chop does smell really good and can be tempting. I've also tasted Ona's chop more than once when she comes up to me with chop all over her beak and gives me a kiss.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I will say sometimes a fresh batch of chop does smell really good and can be tempting. I've also tasted Ona's chop more than once when she comes up to me with chop all over her beak and gives me a kiss.
Ona must share the nutrient with her hooman!

Most Reactions

Latest posts