Is it normal to want to eat your bird’s food?

Is it normal to want to eat parrot food/treats?

• Total voters

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
You do have a point, but I dunno if they would specifically eat just the less nutritious stuff in the wild. And yes, my dog gets into my trash, Rico’s cage paper, etc. when I’m out of the room. She makes a huge mess with it too.
The stuff they put into animal food is not really less nutritious. Otherwise dog food/cat food etc wouldn't be a complete food.
There's only so much human grade food produce in the world and sometimes it is only just enough to satisfy the humans...

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The stuff they put into animal food is not really less nutritious. Otherwise dog food/cat food etc wouldn't be a complete food.
There's only so much human grade food produce in the world and sometimes it is only just enough to satisfy the humans...
Often big carnivores eat the "guts" of their prey before moving on to what people consider the best cuts of meat. This is one of those instances where animals really do act like animals. Dogs sometimes seen almost human until they do something really doggy like rolling in and eating something stinky and then wanting to jump onto your bed and lick your face! A wake up call- they're DOGS!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Often big carnivores eat the "guts" of their prey before moving on to what people consider the best cuts of meat. This is one of those instances where animals really do act like animals. Dogs sometimes seen almost human until they do something really doggy like rolling in and eating something stinky and then wanting to jump onto your bed and lick your face! A wake up call- they're DOGS!
Shows how much I know about dogs then! Welp, good thing I’m studying to become a vet. And good thing I’m not going to specialize in canines or felines 🤠 this was quite interesting to read though! The more ya know!

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
i can't lie... i did try one of the yogibite things. it was mango and papaya covered in some kind of yogurt. it was AMAZING!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
i can't lie... i did try one of the yogibite things. it was mango and papaya covered in some kind of yogurt. it was AMAZING!
Birds are lactose intolerant, so I wouldn’t recommend giving yogurt treats to your bird.

But, I’m glad you found something that doesn’t taste bad!

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
Glad I know that now! it was in my first year of birdie living. they didnt eat them...

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
IMG_4566.jpg

Ok I'll admit it. I tried a small piece of one and it was really good!

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
In your opinion, what’s the tastiest looking pellet?
Just realized I've never responded to this. The bigger Zupreem pellets. Anything that looks like cereal! And it's shaped like BANANAS? Yes, please.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Just realized I've never responded to this. The bigger Zupreem pellets. Anything that looks like cereal! And it's shaped like BANANAS? Yes, please.
I AGREE A HUNDRED PERCENT!!! The grape ones look super tasty too! I just want to eat a whole bag of large zupreem pellets like a gremlin.

Most Reactions

Latest posts