Is this just molting?

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Hi! Is this just molting on my parakeet? I noticed it today for the first time. I have noticed small black flecks in the past, but they’ve never stuck around for more than a day or two, so I was never concerned. Wink lives with another parakeet. He is eating, drinking, pooping, and active.
43F4AF6B-0A68-4565-9E8C-87E22B6C1102.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Those little black flecks at the tips of his feathers are just part of the sheath that covers the new feather as it's growing, so nothing to worry about :)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Agree with above, definitely pin feathers that are growing. No reason for concern, unless the are breaking very easily all the time :)

Poor lil guy, those pin feathers look itchy :( his friend will probably preen them eventually. I always feel so bad for birds that are moulting, including my own, lol.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Agree with everyone above
Seems like he’s having a bad molt, never saw that many pins in one place!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Agree with everyone above
Seems like he’s having a bad molt, never saw that many pins in one place!
You obviously haven't seen my Val lately. Poor little guy looks like a pincushion!

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Thank you all! I am so relieved!!! I was afraid he had some terrible mite or parasite or something!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
You obviously haven't seen my Val lately. Poor little guy looks like a pincushion!
Oh yeah my birdies have been like that before!

I need a pic of that, lol! I'm gonna start a thread were we can show our empathy to moulting birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts