Is this Utility Heater safe to use with a parrot?

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
“Echo” - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
Heya! Been a while.

Bongo and I are cozied up at a ren' fest I'm running a store at, and the building I'm in doesn't have built-in heat. I was provided with a lil' space heater that looks about like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1500-Watt-Utility-Fan-Cabinet-Electric-Space-Heater/50056227

The exact model I have is a "Steelton Tools, Intertek, utility space heater" from the stickers. It looks like metal coils inside that get heated up, and a fan that blows air through to spread the heat out.

Has anyone used one of these in the same house as parrots? Are they safe, or should I skip it? Bongo has her own lil' birdie heater to snuggle up with (one of the best purchases I've ever made!) and it stays fairly warm, so I'm not really worried about either of us catching a chill.

It'd just be much nicer to have a warmer temp, I'm a freeze baby :yellow2:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome back! Hmmm, doubtful without proof positive absent harmful Teflon/PFOA/PTFE substances.

Safest bet for portable heating is an oil-filled radiator similar to this:
410c0953-dbf3-4557-b881-c916dae6cbc5.d1c6e57670e69fd5b0d7f0a3ab62cb79.jpeg

OP
Squeeing_Onion

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
“Echo” - Indian Ringneck
I've heard about the oil-based radiators; I won't be picking up another heater for the event unless we expect to get into lower temps. If I do, it'll be one of those.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't use the non-oil space heater unless you call and ask about full abbreviations and full spellings of ptfe. pfoa/pfcs and teflon-- it will likely take them a few days to get back to you and they will need the model number etc-- the first person you talk to will always brush it off, so you have to be politely pushy or they will generally just say "our products are safe for families and pets" or something baseless like that lol

OP
Squeeing_Onion

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
“Echo” - Indian Ringneck
I wouldn't use the non-oil space heater unless you call and ask about full abbreviations and full spellings of ptfe. pfoa/pfcs and teflon-- it will likely take them a few days to get back to you and they will need the model number etc-- the first person you talk to will always brush it off, so you have to be politely pushy or they will generally just say "our products are safe for families and pets" or something baseless like that lol

tysm! this is super helpful, it tells me what I need to ask about specifically.

I'm still trying to track down a phone number >:O

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

tysm! this is super helpful, it tells me what I need to ask about specifically.

I'm still trying to track down a phone number >:O

Look up the company and go from there. When you spell out the words, say "p as in penguin, e as in elephant, t as in trek, f as in frank" etc etc, because if a b is mistaken for a p or d, that's a big deal
PTFE- Polytetrafluoroethylene (SAY/spell BOTH) *remembering that b, p,d,c,t,e,g,v etc can all EASILY be misheard..and that "z" could also fall within the "misheard" group, although many countries say "zed" instead.

Perfluorinated chemicals (PFC's) (SAY/spell BOTH- with common words for reference-- not "t as in tap" because someone could hear "c as in cap")

Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) (SAY/spell BOTH)

and Teflon (Which is a brand)

Silicone is also something to be careful about if heated.

It is a frustrating process and you have to push or they will tell you it's safe, and then that they do not have that information. That is when you have to say, "There must be a list of contents somewhere. If you do not know, please connect me with someone who can give me these details." They will genuinely often repeat this dialogue and you have to basically say, "if it is safe, I need to know what is in it exactly, and if you can't tell me that, you cannot be sure" (maybe not those words exactly, but basically, because I promise you, you will be given the run-around if you take anything at face-value. Companies do not just have this stuff laying around at customer service, so you can bet anyone actually attempting to find out will have to directly contact manufacturing (which may or may not speak the same language)

They will transfer you like...4 times... and HOPEFULLY, they won't play the "trade secret" card (which I have heard one too many times).

I normally get a call-back around 3-4 days later if they are decent. It's just super critical that you are clear in your pronunciations and spellings, because it is so easy to mishear over the phone and they are going to literally plug-in whatever they are told into a computer...which will then probably pass through multiple people, who may or may not speak the same language (so, if you ever played that game, "telephone", you can imagine the risk )

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Cost is commonly one of the quickest methods of separating out questionable products. That said, even more expense units can be dangerous.

The oil filled units are the commonly the safest.

Read the instructions and do not use extension cords.

Keep warm, Summer will be here shortly.

OP
Squeeing_Onion

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
“Echo” - Indian Ringneck
Just wanted to check in and say Bongo and I are doing great - ended up just not using the heater as I wasn't able to track down a phone number to call.

The weather has turned absolutely gorgeous, almost a little too warm now at times!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Awesome, you have many months to ponder portable heaters before Fall/Winter 2021!

lvitali

May 6, 2021
ive always used fanheaters with no problem, it's just hot wire and a fan, most youd get is burnt dust

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

ive always used fanheaters with no problem, it's just hot wire and a fan, most youd get is burnt dust

Theoretically correct, though Teflon and related hazardous items often used as insulation and structure. You are either lucky or happened to find fan-type heaters without hazardous components.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Generic "Fan" heaters as a group are commonly the most dangerous as they commonly use the chemical group listed above as the reduce cost of manufacturing and provides great profit in the lowest price range.

As the cost of utilities will be rapidly increasing over the next few years. It becomes evermore important to seriously upgrade your primary heating system to help off-set the higher costs of just to keep warm. Spot /specific room heating is very expensive when compared to placing those monies into your primary heat system.

State and National mandates have been in place for years from near all utilities to help their customers prepare for the ever increasing costs. Contact your Utilities and ask for a home energy audit. They are commonly free and general come with some free stuff. Upgrading one's home insulation and upgrading ones windows are great sources of reducing one's costs.

This coming winter's cost to heat will have tons of people chancing such work. Beat the crowd and get the work done now, before the made rush and increase in costs when everyone wants to do it this late Fall Winter.

Justrosie

Nov 28, 2018
Look up the company and go from there. When you spell out the words, say "p as in penguin, e as in elephant, t as in trek, f as in frank" etc etc, because if a b is mistaken for a p or d, that's a big deal
PTFE- Polytetrafluoroethylene (SAY/spell BOTH) *remembering that b, p,d,c,t,e,g,v etc can all EASILY be misheard..and that "z" could also fall within the "misheard" group, although many countries say "zed" instead.

Perfluorinated chemicals (PFC's) (SAY/spell BOTH- with common words for reference-- not "t as in tap" because someone could hear "c as in cap")

Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) (SAY/spell BOTH)

and Teflon (Which is a brand)

Silicone is also something to be careful about if heated.

It is a frustrating process and you have to push or they will tell you it's safe, and then that they do not have that information. That is when you have to say, "There must be a list of contents somewhere. If you do not know, please connect me with someone who can give me these details." They will genuinely often repeat this dialogue and you have to basically say, "if it is safe, I need to know what is in it exactly, and if you can't tell me that, you cannot be sure" (maybe not those words exactly, but basically, because I promise you, you will be given the run-around if you take anything at face-value. Companies do not just have this stuff laying around at customer service, so you can bet anyone actually attempting to find out will have to directly contact manufacturing (which may or may not speak the same language)

They will transfer you like...4 times... and HOPEFULLY, they won't play the "trade secret" card (which I have heard one too many times).

I normally get a call-back around 3-4 days later if they are decent. It's just super critical that you are clear in your pronunciations and spellings, because it is so easy to mishear over the phone and they are going to literally plug-in whatever they are told into a computer...which will then probably pass through multiple people, who may or may not speak the same language (so, if you ever played that game, "telephone", you can imagine the risk )

This is such helpful information; I have never had to track down a manufacturer for a materials list, but now if I ever do, I will not be swayed by their "Sorry idk" response. Thank you!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts