LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It's so hard and it hurts so much when you just don't know where Jeff is, but just keep doing what you're doing for a little longer. Only your heart can tell you when to stop searching, but you don't ever have to give up hope. I'm still praying he finds his way home, but even if he doesn't, I hope that you may be able to at least take some comfort in knowing you did everything you possibly could to find him. Many more hugs coming your way, Pipp, and prayers for you and Jeff too, I'm just so sorry you're going through this. ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's so hard and it hurts so much when you just don't know where Jeff is, but just keep doing what you're doing for a little longer. Only your heart can tell you when to stop searching, but you don't ever have to give up hope. I'm still praying he finds his way home, but even if he doesn't, I hope that you may be able to at least take some comfort in knowing you did everything you possibly could to find him. Many more hugs coming your way, Pipp, and prayers for you and Jeff too, I'm just so sorry you're going through this. ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ
I think I should ask people at the youth I go to if they'd like to post flyers, at first I didn't even tell anyone about Jeff because it felt like attention seeking, but when I go again on Friday I'll ask if I'm allowed to pass out flyers or ask people to help me, there's likely gonna be some kids/teens who want to help out.

I just... I don't like attention and pity. Also, a lot of non-bird people don't know what it's like to have a bird escape. One girl at church asked me when I told her about Jeff(she kept on asking "Are you OK" And I kept on telling her I'm fine(I was not) and eventually I just told her about Jeff) and she asked "are you getting a new bird?" and in a serious voice I said, "I'm not replacing him!"

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Also, a lot of non-bird people don't know what it's like to have a bird escape. One girl at church asked me when I told her about Jeff(she kept on asking "Are you OK" And I kept on telling her I'm fine(I was not) and eventually I just told her about Jeff) and she asked "are you getting a new bird?" and in a serious voice I said, "I'm not replacing him!"
I really don't understand why we're basically programmed to believe that pets are just replacable. Also, why don't more people treat budgies like macaws??? They deserve the same respect as macaws, and don't deserve to be grabbed, kept in small cages, or any of the other horrible things people do to them that they don't do to macaws.

I really, REALLY hope you find him โค๏ธ

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iโ€™m sorry that you couldnโ€™t find Jeff this weekend. I really hope you find him. If there are bird feeders around your area, I think he is likely to survive (as youโ€™re not saying itโ€™s snowing, and thatโ€™s when tropical birds die outdoors in my area).

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Iโ€™m sorry that you couldnโ€™t find Jeff this weekend. I really hope you find him. If there are bird feeders around your area, I think he is likely to survive (as youโ€™re not saying itโ€™s snowing, and thatโ€™s when tropical birds die outdoors in my area).
Luckily there is no snow in my area. Not even frost. So I think Jeff will survive.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Luckily there is no snow in my area. Not even frost. So I think Jeff will survive.
Can you expand your search any more? Leave soe bird feeders with his favorite seed out? Anything?

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This was so perfectly said, and I feel the same way.

I think I should ask people at the youth I go to if they'd like to post flyers, at first I didn't even tell anyone about Jeff because it felt like attention seeking, but when I go again on Friday I'll ask if I'm allowed to pass out flyers or ask people to help me, there's likely gonna be some kids/teens who want to help out.

I just... I don't like attention and pity. Also, a lot of non-bird people don't know what it's like to have a bird escape. One girl at church asked me when I told her about Jeff(she kept on asking "Are you OK" And I kept on telling her I'm fine(I was not) and eventually I just told her about Jeff) and she asked "are you getting a new bird?" and in a serious voice I said, "I'm not replacing him!"
I think asking the kids you go to youth with is an excellent idea, and I bet they would be happy to help.
You aren't asking for attention for yourself, but for Jeff. Perhaps if those thoughts cross your mind that if you remember that this is all for Jeff it will make you feel a bit better about asking for help.

People suggesting a new bird as a replacement (or any pet for that matter) upset me as well, but I also feel sorry for them. They will never know the love that they could give and receive from their own pets, and I can't imagine living like that.

Still sending prayers for Jeff, and for you.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am sorry that Jeff hasn't been found yet. I check on here as often as I can to see how everyone is doing. I have kept you in my thoughts. My heart breaks for you.

Was Jeff ever taken outside in a cage? I know I take both of my parrots outside in the summer. My flighted parrot I have an "outdoor" or "safe" cage for. That's the reason I ask. That way when I sit out back she can be outside too. If she were to ever get outside I wonder if she'd hang around knowing this area (I recently moved so she wouldn't know anymore).

I had a lovebird as a teenager. My parents dog unfortunately got ahold of him, and ate him. This was before cell phones were a thing. So I didn't find out until I got home in the evening after my afterschool sports. I cried for weeks, and was heartbroken. My parents thought the best thing for me was to just replace my lovebird, and get me a cockatiel by suprising me. Unfortunately that cockatiel never truly bonded to me. It wasn't the same. Birds really do pick their owners, and so on. It really isn't as simple as just buying me a new bird as a suprise. Not to mention Franklin (the cockatiel) was her name liked males, and not females. Just kind of an older person story of what can go wrong with quickly just replacing an animal.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am sorry that Jeff hasn't been found yet. I check on here as often as I can to see how everyone is doing. I have kept you in my thoughts. My heart breaks for you.
Thanks...
Was Jeff ever taken outside in a cage? I know I take both of my parrots outside in the summer. My flighted parrot I have an "outdoor" or "safe" cage for. That's the reason I ask. That way when I sit out back she can be outside too. If she were to ever get outside I wonder if she'd hang around knowing this area (I recently moved so she wouldn't know anymore).
Yes, they were outside and I forgot to close one of the doors and he came out.
I had a lovebird as a teenager. My parents dog unfortunately got ahold of him, and ate him. This was before cell phones were a thing. So I didn't find out until I got home in the evening after my afterschool sports. I cried for weeks, and was heartbroken. My parents thought the best thing for me was to just replace my lovebird, and get me a cockatiel by suprising me. Unfortunately that cockatiel never truly bonded to me. It wasn't the same. Birds really do pick their owners, and so on. It really isn't as simple as just buying me a new bird as a suprise. Not to mention Franklin (the cockatiel) was her name liked males, and not females. Just kind of an older person story of what can go wrong with quickly just replacing an animal.
Animals can't be replaced. I mean, would you replace your dog/cat? Or child? Now why is it different with birds and other animals? I don't get it...

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
hi You can never replace your lost pet nor is it about that ๐Ÿ™ but you can help yourself move forward by getting new one it will never replace your lost parrot but it can help you heal. Because I lost a pet before and my other pet made it a little better

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
hi You can never replace your lost pet nor is it about that ๐Ÿ™ but you can help yourself move forward by getting new one it will never replace your lost parrot but it can help you heal. Because I lost a pet before and my other pet made it a little better
I don't think it'll work for me, personally. I have other birds and they do help me a lot. It feels wrong for me to get another one. What if he comes back? I don't want another bird and I'm not able to care for another one.

I think everyone deals differently with loss.q

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I was going to bring flyers to youth or post them at church but it feels wrong.
1. I don't want the kids at youth go feel bad because they don't want to post flyers but they don't want to make me feel bad.
2. It feels disrespectful to God to use the church to find my bird.

I am going to try post at vet clinics and supermarkets incase someone there saw Jeff, and shelters if possible.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I really do hope someone found him and will take good care of him.

Honestly I'd rather have him fall dead in his cage one day than have him fly away. Yes, it'd be sad, but at least I'd know he's dead and not be unsure.

My hope is fading away. I am trying to stay hopeful but it's hard.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Found this pic again. I love it so much. I asked a member on the forum to draw it. Right after I sent the message tears came to my eyes. I can't believe this sweet little guy is still missing. He just had a special spark in his eyes when he was happy, and this pic perfectly illustrates it. Everyday the pain is worse. Only God knows how it feels. I pray for him to come back everyday, hoping to get an answer. Sometimes, the answer is no, and I have to accept it. Or maybe the answer is, not yet.
20220430_142408.jpg

Jeff, I hope you found a loving home out there. Not knowing what gas happened to you breaks my heart. I have done everything a teenage girl can to get you back. Love you, Jeff.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I was going to bring flyers to youth or post them at church but it feels wrong.
1. I don't want the kids at youth go feel bad because they don't want to post flyers but they don't want to make me feel bad.
2. It feels disrespectful to God to use the church to find my bird.

I am going to try post at vet clinics and supermarkets incase someone there saw Jeff, and shelters if possible.
May i suggest looking at this in a different way? We all learn by watching one another, and people can learn from watching us, as well.
1. Donโ€™t worry about making kids feel bad for not wanting to post flyers. This is assuming that what you are asking is a burden, and not worth doing, and that you arenโ€™t worthy of help. Can you be sure that this is true? Maybe the other kids WANT to do helpful things. Maybe helping another person who is suffering will give them a sense of reward. Maybe one of the meanings of life is to learn to help others and have compassion for their pain, and this is a way for them to do that. Maybe seeing that you love your bird so much and miss him will open someoneโ€™s eyes to the fact that other living beings besides humans have minds, have feelings, feel joy and pain, and they might begin to care about the welfare of a let bird. That could open the door to caring about all other beings.

Maybe it could take a while for the lesson to sink in. Letโ€™s say the worst happens, and someone makes fun of you for caring about a stupid bird. So what? Maybe they just arenโ€˜t ready for the lesson, but ten years from now they might remember it. It isnโ€™t your problem, what others learn or donโ€™t learn. Itโ€™s only your problem to stand up and speak your truth: you had a bird, you love him, he got lost, you are worried about him and would like to have him back. Isnโ€™t there the parable of the good shepherd, who went back out into the night to find a single lost lamb? Arenโ€™t you being a good shepherd to your flock, to look for your lost bird?

2. Why would it be disrespectful to God to use the church friends to help find your bird? Could it also be true that God would be pleased to see church members turn to one another for love and support and help? Isnโ€™t there another parable where god sees every sparrow fall? If god cares about every sparrow, why not every budgie? I donโ€™t think it was about the sparrows, or about small birdsโ€ฆthe parable is about every life being valuable and precious. The parable doesnโ€™t say that god will save every sparrow, just that the sparrow is worthy of being seen, and if the sparrow is worthy of being seen, how much more are you worthy? So go to the church group, take a few flyers, tell your story, let people see. Let them know how special these little creatures are, how loving and intelligent. Let them know how much you care about him, and that you arenโ€™t ashamed of loving a small creature, how it teaches you to love all beings and want to help them. I donโ€™t say that you are being called to do this. But it is an opportunity before you, and you can choose what to do. Can you choose to ask for help for Jeff, and for yourself, because this is your lesson to learn - and accept that people will respond according to their own abilities, and that this is their lesson, not yours?

I hope you are able to find Jeff and bring him home. Remember that he will need to be quarantined from the other birds just as if he was any stranger, because he could have picked up a disease in the wild. Never doubt that love is the right path.

NancieG

Jun 20, 2022
Media
Ebensburg, PA
Parrots
2 Blue & Gold Macaw, 1 Green front Amazon, 2 Cockatiels
Hello, I am new to this forum as of today.
I found your feed and My heart is truly aching for you. Has Jeff come home? I spent 5 days in the woods-rain, wind storm, below 40 temperatures when my Amazon flew away. Thankfully, persistence paid off in my story and it ended well and I was able to bring him (Rusty) home. DON"T give up hope! Miracles happen. So much great advice in the feed responses. Prayers to you all for caring so much!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
May i suggest looking at this in a different way? We all learn by watching one another, and people can learn from watching us, as well.
1. Donโ€™t worry about making kids feel bad for not wanting to post flyers. This is assuming that what you are asking is a burden, and not worth doing, and that you arenโ€™t worthy of help. Can you be sure that this is true? Maybe the other kids WANT to do helpful things. Maybe helping another person who is suffering will give them a sense of reward. Maybe one of the meanings of life is to learn to help others and have compassion for their pain, and this is a way for them to do that. Maybe seeing that you love your bird so much and miss him will open someoneโ€™s eyes to the fact that other living beings besides humans have minds, have feelings, feel joy and pain, and they might begin to care about the welfare of a let bird. That could open the door to caring about all other beings.

Maybe it could take a while for the lesson to sink in. Letโ€™s say the worst happens, and someone makes fun of you for caring about a stupid bird. So what? Maybe they just arenโ€˜t ready for the lesson, but ten years from now they might remember it. It isnโ€™t your problem, what others learn or donโ€™t learn. Itโ€™s only your problem to stand up and speak your truth: you had a bird, you love him, he got lost, you are worried about him and would like to have him back. Isnโ€™t there the parable of the good shepherd, who went back out into the night to find a single lost lamb? Arenโ€™t you being a good shepherd to your flock, to look for your lost bird?

2. Why would it be disrespectful to God to use the church friends to help find your bird? Could it also be true that God would be pleased to see church members turn to one another for love and support and help? Isnโ€™t there another parable where god sees every sparrow fall? If god cares about every sparrow, why not every budgie? I donโ€™t think it was about the sparrows, or about small birdsโ€ฆthe parable is about every life being valuable and precious. The parable doesnโ€™t say that god will save every sparrow, just that the sparrow is worthy of being seen, and if the sparrow is worthy of being seen, how much more are you worthy? So go to the church group, take a few flyers, tell your story, let people see. Let them know how special these little creatures are, how loving and intelligent. Let them know how much you care about him, and that you arenโ€™t ashamed of loving a small creature, how it teaches you to love all beings and want to help them. I donโ€™t say that you are being called to do this. But it is an opportunity before you, and you can choose what to do. Can you choose to ask for help for Jeff, and for yourself, because this is your lesson to learn - and accept that people will respond according to their own abilities, and that this is their lesson, not yours?

I hope you are able to find Jeff and bring him home. Remember that he will need to be quarantined from the other birds just as if he was any stranger, because he could have picked up a disease in the wild. Never doubt that love is the right path.
This last paragraph is VERY IMPORTANT. There is an avian influenza outbreak, among other things, which would be very dangerous to your birds at home. So if you found Jeff he would need to be quarantined from your other birds and preferably checked by an avian vet. Otherwise your whole flock would be in danger.

Most Reactions