Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Today we're gonna print flyers and post them all over. Put them in post boxes, at supermarkets, vet clinics.
I'm gonna tell the rescue out area(they are a foster based rescue) that we lost Jeff. Then we're gonna go look for him 7AMish... sadly 6AM is not possible, 7am the sun is already mostly up..... ugh

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's 8:40 and wheather sucks. No point of looking for him now as he probably found shelter. I will print flyers when Mom come back.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It's 8:40 and wheather sucks. No point of looking for him now as he probably found shelter. I will print flyers when Mom come back.
Are you able to or going to offer a reward on the posters with Jeff’s return?

I know budgies aren’t usually very “valuable” (at least not pet budgies) but I would rather have my own bird back than a different one. I would offer at least what he would cost to buy in hopes that might make someone think, if they have Jeff, “ I don’t need to keep this kid’s bird, I can give it back and get one brand new.”

Good luck. No guilt or pressure is implied; I’m trying to think of what would get in the way of someone returning your bird to you.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Are you able to or going to offer a reward on the posters with Jeff’s return?

I know budgies aren’t usually very “valuable” (at least not pet budgies) but I would rather have my own bird back than a different one. I would offer at least what he would cost to buy in hopes that might make someone think, if they have Jeff, “ I don’t need to keep this kid’s bird, I can give it back and get one brand new.”

Good luck. No guilt or pressure is implied; I’m trying to think of what would get in the way of someone returning your bird to you.
We are posting fliers today. Already printed them.

I am offering R250, budgies in SA usually cost R50-R100.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I-🥺❤ my brother's friend- she sent me this because of Jeff:
16540143774205486547782431054349.jpg

I think I'm gonna 🥲 in a sec

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
When the weather improves i think you have a good chance of finding him. They are good at surviving and it hasn't been very long. With the rain he has had water. As soon as it stops he will be out looking for food. Many escape birds hunker down the first few days as they adjust. It's often after the 4 th day they are found as they start to be more confident moving around.
Big prayers for you

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
When the weather improves i think you have a good chance of finding him. They are good at surviving and it hasn't been very long. With the rain he has had water. As soon as it stops he will be out looking for food. Many escape birds hunker down the first few days as they adjust. It's often after the 4 th day they are found as they start to be more confident moving around.
Big prayers for you
Thanks Laura. Yes I agree. The next few days should be better. Sadly it's almost winter, and in winter there is a lot of rain and wind.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I once saw a video of someone who caught a wild budgie. What they did was put their own parakeets in a smaller cage inside a larger cage. Therefore as the budgie approached his friends, he entered the larger cage - and then shut the door.

I think this didn't work so they then tried having the birds inside and leaving the screen door open. The budgie had to get inside the house to find his buddies - then close the door before he could fly out. Having other budgies is the best way to catch a budgie. Hoping you can catch him soon ! <3
I'll try this, maybe it works. My only concern is that Jeff may have caught an illness, but I think a few seconds exposure isn't that bad.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Now I will randomly reply to all the unanswered messages...
I’m so sorry 😞 Praying that you get little Jeff soon.
put his cage outside, a place where he can see.
if you got audio recording of his voice, play it loud.
If it gives you any bit of hope my neighbor said one day a year or so ago a budgie just flew right up to her in their yard and she still is caring for it . Also my old boss helped rescue a cockatiel hanging around in a parking lot and still has it as a pet too. Like I mentioned before Facebook lost and found pets is a good page to turn to because there is a good chance someone could just have her and not sure how to find the owner.
Play budgies sounds really loud from. Your phone. I just found some happy budgies sounds on you tube and played really loud for an hour and the escaped budgie blue boy showed up and circled me.
Wishing you the best don't give up! Tosse seeds out on the ground too they recognize them when flying over or might food wild bird back to your yard to find them
ohhhhhhh i understand i feel so bad i am always praying for jeff to safely return to his loving and caring home ❤️.
Oh Pipp I'm so sorry ❤️ I hope he comes home soon
I am so sorry to hear about Jeff :cry: I hope he returns home safely
Thanks you everyone for your advice, continued prayers, encouragement and positive energy. Jeff is still out in the big wide world..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
When I was trying to find the escaped budgie, there was a full on tropical storm, gusts of 60 Mike an hour winds tropical drenching downpours. And I found him after that!
I would concentrate tour search at the last spotted of him. He is likely very near there. Once they find a spot they stick there. The budgies i was hunting used tge sane 3 trees and one shrub in about a city block size area.
Plsy tge happy budgies sounds loud and talk loud and happy to him.
I want so much for you guys to be reunited

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Where I live here in Minnesota facebook, twitter, and other resources help people find their lost pets. There are pages dedicated to lost pets (birds/parrots). I am not sure if it works the same in South Africa. The Flyer looks amazing, and you did a really nice job! With captive birds they generally don't get very far as they don't have the strength to fly long distances like a native bird would who uses theirs wings on a daily basis. They have a lot more strength.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Where I live here in Minnesota facebook, twitter, and other resources help people find their lost pets. There are pages dedicated to lost pets (birds/parrots). I am not sure if it works the same in South Africa.
There are some lost pet groups here in my city. Mom posted there, and some of the people shared it.
The Flyer looks amazing, and you did a really nice job!
Thanks, but that was all Mom's doing!
With captive birds they generally don't get very far as they don't have the strength to fly long distances like a native bird would who uses theirs wings on a daily basis. They have a lot more strength.
I don't think Jeff will go out of city(my city is quite big!)

He is not an experienced flyer either.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Nice flyer! Jeff looks handsome.

I was wondering if you could find all the places where people are feeding birds near where Jeff got lost and you sighted him. Then stake out the bird feeders.

I did this with a bird who got lost in my city years ago. Eventually we found where he was coming to eat. We left a cage with a trap door in this location and seeds. The bird came to the cage to eat and the homeowner pulled a string which shut the cage door.

I also recorded my Quaker being loud so we could blast those calls from a boom box. The escaped bird heard the contact calls and flew in. That is how you get birds to come to an area when you are mist-netting them professionally. You play bird calls from a recording and the birds come flying in and get tangled in the near-invisible nets.

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm a bit 💔 today, missing li'l Jeff. I hope he's OK out there and comes back home soon... it's been 6 days:(.

Dear Jeff, I miss you, and so does your flock. If you don't come back, I will not replace you. I am still waiting for you. It is a dangerous place out there, not meant for a little budgie. I hope you're still alive. Come back home soon, OK?

I don't even know where to search:( I want to post more flyers, but I haven't got to it yet...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Could you check the neighborhood for bird feeders or likely places and note where they are? Then go back and visit those places? Or maybe leave contact info in case someone sees Jeff (that they would call or email you/ your parents)?

I don’t know if this looks doable or looks like a good idea. But it’s a starting point. If it’s not a good idea, what would be a good idea?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Start in a spiral from your house just walking and calling and budgies sounds. Start at last sightings something spiral out.

After first panic flight they usually stay out in one area . Usually less than a mile from escape point. It only takes about a half hour to cover a mile walking. Or you can bike slowly.
Look high. Iften will perch as high as can

Most people give up too soon. Nows the time to make a big push and search

Most Reactions