Magnet screens for doors!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Anyone ever use one of these? I just installed this one on Kirby’s room - I’d been meaning to find a solution to the safety issue a door in the parrot room creates, ever since our cockatiel went on his three day walkabout.

3D5C0B2F-2166-4A59-9C19-44E1D2D03226.jpeg

Obviously not going to let my big guy chew on it - magnets are extremely dangerous if ingested. I have it there because sometimes if he’s out and I want to slip outside, I have to put him up so he doesn’t try to fly off into the yard. The magnets in this are so handy because they allow you to open only a small gap to slip through (it drapes around your body.c basically) and close behind you quickly.

It’s mostly insurance because I have kids and you know how they are - running in and out! This way if they run out through his door and I’m not downstairs (they know they’re not supposed to be in here without an adult, but I prefer to plan around them bending rules to be safe) there’s a screen in place that will shut behind them. Kirby isn’t usually out if I am in there, but I also don’t want the neighborhood cats coming in and terrorizing him.

Obviously a better solution would be to enclose the patio, which I dearly want to do - but apparently that requires a lot of permitting and modification of existing structures, and I think this is a clever stopgap for anyone in a similar situation.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I've seen several members recommend and/or use these sorts of screens on PF. I use something similar that I knocked up out of fabric, based on a few Japanese "noren" curtains that I have elsewhere in the house. They're a similar design, split up the middle but without the magnets. Though nothing is ever 100% failsafe, they keep my guys out of the kitchen and stop them just flying off to other parts of the house - important with Lovejoy and Val in particular cos they are tiny and if they took off somewhere here I'd probably never find them, Lovejoy in particular! And I cannot tell you the number of times they've slowed my lorikeets down just long enough to have averted total disaster, like the time Lilly almost flew into the kitchen EXACTLY when something blew up in my microwave and emitted clouds of smoke, it kept her out for those precious few seconds before I managed to shut the solid kitchen door. So yes, I think they are a GREAT idea - I actually do have a few sets of the magnetised ones but I just haven't been bothered to put them up yet!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I've seen several members recommend and/or use these sorts of screens on PF. I use something similar that I knocked up out of fabric, based on a few Japanese "noren" curtains that I have elsewhere in the house. They're a similar design, split up the middle but without the magnets. Though nothing is ever 100% failsafe, they keep my guys out of the kitchen and stop them just flying off to other parts of the house - important with Lovejoy and Val in particular cos they are tiny and if they took off somewhere here I'd probably never find them, Lovejoy in particular! And I cannot tell you the number of times they've slowed my lorikeets down just long enough to have averted total disaster, like the time Lilly almost flew into the kitchen EXACTLY when something blew up in my microwave and emitted clouds of smoke, it kept her out for those precious few seconds before I managed to shut the solid kitchen door. So yes, I think they are a GREAT idea - I actually do have a few sets of the magnetised ones but I just haven't been bothered to put them up yet!
I knew I couldn’t be reinventing the wheel here! Yeah; this one sat in a box for almost a month before I put it up, haha!

And now I am finally reinstalling the security camera on his door so I can see if it’s locked from anywhere in the house. I’ll have to get a second one to watch him in the room when I’m out, but going up and down two flights of stairs fifteen million times because “but what if it WASN’T locked?!” Gets exhausting.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Yes! I have the same one on our back door. That door opens onto our enclosed sunroom anyway but wanted extra security since we open that door often. I’ve had ours up for about two months now and no complaints. Really great for bird owners!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
That picture was a trial to see if they fit. Afterwards, I attached some wood to the ceiling, then attached the screen to the wood. Much more secure. There is two screens in the picture. They go from the ceiling to the floor and overlap approximately 8 inches at the magnets. They are also attached to the wall on both sides. The first day is the only time I saw my birds on it.

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Btw, these screens are heavy duty. Much stronger than i was expecting. I got them on Amazon. Someone ordered them for me. I will check with them for a link.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I use the screen in my front door in case o e of my children runs out and my bird tries to fly out . Love these screens !
That’s awesome, that’s exactly why we got this one. I am so happy to hear these work as intended!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We used a modified version on our boat!

It is very important to remember that these work both ways, so assure that you consider the largest range wildlife in your area! An Adult Red Tail Hawk could fly straight in. Near any four legged dog or cat, much the same.

Since our Amazon could also make it to the great outdoors. We size it to the opening which is smaller and used the extra magnets to increase the holding abilities, especial in the center and bottom.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We used a modified version on our boat!

It is very important to remember that these work both ways, so assure that you consider the largest range wildlife in your area! An Adult Red Tail Hawk could fly straight in. Near any four legged dog or cat, much the same.

Since our Amazon could also make it to the great outdoors. We size it to the opening which is smaller and used the extra magnets to increase the holding abilities, especial in the center and bottom.
What kind of boat (size and use type) and how do you use the magnetic screen? Do your birds like boating?

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
My dad has a couple boats, but neither have an under deck area, haha. He has a bass boat and a pontoon boat. I don’t know if Kirby would like them - he does enjoy being out in the sun when it’s warm - but he’d definitely have to be in his bag; if he flew off he’d be gator bait.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My dad has a couple boats, but neither have an under deck area, haha. He has a bass boat and a pontoon boat. I don’t know if Kirby would like them - he does enjoy being out in the sun when it’s warm - but he’d definitely have to be in his bag; if he flew off he’d be gator bait.
Yikes! No gators up here in Maine, thank God! We live on a lake and just bought a new 22 foot pontoon boat and we plan on putting our budgie Rocky in a carrier and take him on boat rides summer. I think she'll ûp

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yikes! No gators up here in Maine, thank God! We live on a lake and just bought a new 22 foot pontoon boat and we plan on putting our budgie Rocky in a carrier and take him on boat rides summer. I think she'll ûp
I think she will enjoy the scenery and fresh air but we obviously won't allow any free flight. I was just wondering what use there 5 be for a magnetic screen door on a boat.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I think she will enjoy the scenery and fresh air but we obviously won't allow any free flight. I was just wondering what use there 5 be for a magnetic screen door on a boat.

With Boats the discussion is all about size of the cabin area and length of travels. Entering a cabin is commonly by way of a doorway, small to midsize unless one is on a larger boat. With us, it has been a sailboat and the cabin sets below the deck with access commonly a hatchway, which are wide-open or fully closed. The screen way is the same concept as a home doorway.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
For anyone using the screen the OP mentioned just wanted to say I’ve had mine hanging for a few months now and just yesterday I had to use the tacks it comes with to keep it up. The adhesive was starting to wear. Still love it but if you want it to stay permanently I’d suggest using the tacks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts