Making progress with my new U2!

sprince

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Umbrella cockie "Pippa"
:)
First I want to thank you for your support during our family transition with Pippa! She had attached herself very quickly to my daughter and was attacking me in the face.
We cut off all but basic contact with my daughter. No petting, and she is only allowed to put her on the play tree and back. Pippa has stopped attacking me, but I still keep an eye on her. If my daughter is in the house, especially. I was ready to start wearing safety glasses!
Someone suggested that I stop comparing Pippa to the U2 I had 25 years ago. Great advice. I see her for herself and I'm trying to be more understanding of her feelings, and really studying her body language.
She is pretty much potty trained now as a result!
I have been doing more things WITH Pippa, instead of TO Pippa. Meaning, I take her in the shower with me, to new rooms of the house, and next weekend we are going to the pet store to get her talons trimmed. I am also not petting her as much, but letting her spend time sitting with me while I work or watch tv.
If I could just get her to stop screaming so much... Sometimes she will be sitting on my, all quiet and content, then start in with it. I am teaching her more words, I wish she would just use her WORDS instead of SCREAMING so much.
Otherwise, I'm so happy with this little fluff ball! I feel guilty that I was ready to throw in the towel at times....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm glad you've taken my advice! Have you tried singing while she's screaming? Start dancing and get her moving. Clap your hands while she's dancing while you dance with her to cheer her on. What your trying to do is to tire her out. Once she's tired out you'll find her settle down a lot easier with less screaming. Another thing you can do is have a conversation with her. That's what I used to do with Java the U2.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so happy that things are going better with Pippa. MikeyTN has helped me so many times, he is a great person for advice:)

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Glad to hear you've made some good progress! I'm sure your bond will get a lot stronger...it just takes times. Sorry I can't offer any advice with the screaming, I lucked out with a super quiet cockatoo. Not reacting to it in ANY way and rewarding other sounds is the advice I've heard from all the best behaviorists. You have to make sure you're not unconsciously reinforcing it by reacting in some subtle way (body language, etc.).

Most Reactions

Latest posts