Miracle after Tiki's death

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
A miracle happened today. Fate or coincidence? I think fate.

So I found 1 single breeder of Kakarikis in Queens, NY. There are only a few in the United States and they are typically in California (where this breeder actually goes and gets them) and that is after they are imported from New Zealand or Australia.

I went to see this breeder today because the opportunity was 1 in a million that he was selling, so I had to jump on it.

But here's the miracle: I told him about the place I got Tiki from, and he told me that he is the breeder for the majority of that exotic bird store, and that Tiki originally came from him!

I got to see Tiki's parents, and the 1 in a billion chance miracle is that I will soon be taking home one of his siblings, a baby sister! I don't know how this even happened or is possible!

(...that and he happened to have a mutation of a Turquoisine I've always wanted. Which happens to be okay to house with Kakarikis in the same cage.)

!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe I will have a new Kakariki that is directly blood related to Tiki. I am still immensely hurting from his recent loss and am not quite ready for a new bird, but this was just unreal!

Here are the photos of my new babies. They will be coming home Sunday.

The Kak is a girl (8 months), the Turq is a boy (12-18 months? I forget). I will be thinking of names (suggestions welcome!!)

:green1: :blue1:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
How precious they are! See, Tiki was "letting you know" that he knew how much you loved him by guiding you to these 2 special babies:) Congrats!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww, they are darling! I'm so happy for you.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
He guided me right back to his very own blood family! I can't believe I will own his sister! What a small world!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That is REALLY something, wow! You know when things are truly meant to be how it just happens this way?

Wow a pied! They're both so precious! :)

Be sure the Turquoisine is handled A LOT while weaning and right after. They're usually aviary birds (as I'm sure you know) because the grass parakeet species have a wilder nature. My mom has 2 Aussie keets, a Princess and a Bourkes, and though they were hand fed, they weren't handled often enough at a young enough age, and now are just barely (in the last year or two) after 7-8 years, comfortable enough to step up on her hand long enough to get back into their cage after out time.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well how about that!?!?! I knew something like this would happen! (Dunno why... just had a feeling that 'something' would come right in the end) :) :) :)

Since Tiki was the Maori first man, you could consider calling your little girl Marikoriko. She was the first woman. She could be Koriko for short? Or, you could just call her Hine (pron. 'heeneh') which means 'woman'.

For the little Turquoise Parrot, you could call him something Australian (that's where they come from) or just pick a cute name for him. Quintessential aussie names would include Bluey, Curly, Bruce, Bunyip, Johnno or Andy.

NB. Andy is probably the most authentic, since Andy was the jolly swagman in 'Waltzing Matilda':

'Andy sang, Andy watched, Andy waited till his billy boiled
You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me'. :D

I'm so glad you didn't wait too long to fill your heart with birdies again. Great work, Tiki - you did a wonderful thing for your Mum!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
That is just awesome! I'm so happy for you! Everything happens for a reason! Even Tiki knew that and brought you to his family.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
They are strikingly beautiful!! Most importantly, they will help process your grief and fill your heart with joy.

Sometimes we "put thoughts out there" subconsciously or otherwise, and are richly rewarded.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so happy for you! This completely has the "meant to be" feeling:)
I hope it helps in your grieving that Tiki has sent you this amazing gift.
Can't wait til you have them home so we can see more pictures!

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
RainbowRose, I am so happy for you .Blessing on the three of you. Bonita :rainbow1::green2:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Some things are just meant to be I guess...

Congrats!

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Definitely fate. Tiki wants you to share the love you have with others.

:eek:Are these his brother and sister?

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Still grieving for Tiki. But the new babies came home yesterday. The Turq stayed on the bottom for hours in the same spot and the Kak was climbing all over the top and staying on the high perch. But this morning I found they got cozy real fast!

Some pictures as promised :) still thinking of names.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They are gorgeous!!! I can't wait to hear what you name them:) I am just so happy for you:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts