My baby bird is showing unusual behaviour, please help

rico_riot

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
Ayaan2004
Hi there, I have a baby female Indian ring neck that Iā€™ve had for 3 weeks. I hand feed her myself 4 times a day using a dropper n baby mix. She is 5 weeks old now
she is overall, in my opinion, healthy. She is active, runs around, screams, and asks for food when itā€™s time, however, today when she was in her box, which she can get in and out of, I noticed she was lying down Flat. She was dozing off, she Was responsive when I called her. I kept her with me and she Leaned against my arm and started sleeping, again completely flat. Is this normal behaviour??

she also droops her wings when she is sitting still or relaxed, is this normal??

she was also sneezing a lot yesterday morning and there was liquid too, tho clear n today her right nose was blocked, tho itā€™s open now and she isnā€™t sneezing anymore, her breathing is normal, no wheezing or tail bobbing.
it is quite hot where I live, she is always with me in a generally normal temperatured room
as for her droppings, I havenā€™t noticed anything unusual, its Normal colored, brownish green, just how it was when I got her

at the very moment she is preening herself n biting her toes next to me

Attachments

• EB621223-8D95-456D-89AA-B697C0D6BD4C.jpeg
    EB621223-8D95-456D-89AA-B697C0D6BD4C.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1286.MOV
    8.4 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Its not unusual for parrots to develop a nasal problem when being introduced to a new environment. You should have the chick checked by a Certified Avian Vet. As you may already know, by the time parrots (who are prey animals) show outward signs of illness they are already very sick. THe ones who look sick in the flock are the first ones eaten , so they hide illness instinctively. Do this while she is still eating well and pretty active. I would make sure that her cage/ tub temperature is appropriate and steady, and the same for any formula being offered. THats important!

OP
R

rico_riot

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
Ayaan2004
Its not unusual for parrots to develop a nasal problem when being introduced to a new environment. You should have the chick checked by a Certified Avian Vet. As you may already know, by the time parrots (who are prey animals) show outward signs of illness they are already very sick. THe ones who look sick in the flock are the first ones eaten , so they hide illness instinctively. Do this while she is still eating well and pretty active. I would make sure that her cage/ tub temperature is appropriate and steady, and the same for any formula being offered. THats important!
I donā€™t have an avian vey near me, theres only one for cats n dogs,

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wings drooping is a sign they are weak , usually this us because they are sick ( likely very sick ) sometimes wings will drooping from an injury.

If laying flat out when hadn't before( as a baby thing, in adults definitely weaknes) is also a single of being sick.

Lots of sneezing and blocked nostrils is also a sign of illness. And they don't have to fo it constantly to be sick.

So taken all together, I'm worried you have a very sick baby. Babues being hand fed are very vulnerable to getting sick quickly. They can aspirate, bacteria and fungus grow easily in formula and equipment used to feed babies and make them sick.

If they or the feeding formula isn't kept in the narrow exact temperature requirements. They get sick, food can rot inside of them, or they get bacteria and yeast overgrowth of crop. Or to high temp you get a crop burn that can start and infection.

Hand feeding babies is a very serious job that takes a lot of attention to details. Babies can get in trouble very quickly. Even with experienced breeders.

When anything seems off with a baby it needs prompt avian veterinarian care.

I would consult with the dog vet if that's all you have available. They are able to reach out to avian vets often as a consult. They can provide antibiotics or antifungal if needed. Or you might find an avian vet who will do a video consultation. Many of us have to drive a couple if hours to reach an avian veterinarian.

I will link some articles.
In this thread I put many links to articles. Please click and scroll to linked articles

As mentioned, burds will try to hide illnesses, they are hardwired to do so. Once they show any symptoms it should be taken very seriously. When they get to the point they are showing what many people think of as " sick bird symptoms " like fluffed, not moving, not eating much or drinking much, or not pooping much , they are often 48 hours from death. And by that point should be considered an emergency and everything to save them.
Its much easier to save them when subtle signs are noticeable.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Because so many come here in your situation, because so many loose the babies they are trying to hand raise we have sticky threads.

Again I urge prompt veterinarian care.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ellen D , shared some valuable tips with a member that should benefit you.

I copied her post in my thread. If you click this it takes you right to the post with her helping tips on babies. Temp is hugely important. Formula between 104-110 f
Baby kept between 90-95f
Everythingbaby related scrupulously clean. Use a digital kitchen scale to weigh baby every morning.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I do not agree with everything in this article. I definitely don't advice home remedies, veterinarian care and guidance all the way!'

But it covers .any things that can go wrong , with Pic and diagram .

warning to sensitive viewer's !!!! Graphic content

Most Reactions

Latest posts