My future baby bird has hatched

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
She's so adorable! Makes me miss my kakariki.....

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Good there's no fighting! :)
Kiwiberry has the same kind of set with baby keys lol
She used to hang upside down on them while flapping her wings haha!

She truly is gorgeous though, her eyes are so big and innocent looking :)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

Here is a video. She took her first bath last night, and her water dish LOL the classic Kakariki bath

So right now she is in the big cage with Merlin. I supervise them whenever I put her in there, I will not leave them alone together yet. They bicker when they get close to each other, some nipping here and there...but neither of them are actively chasing one another away. They seem to just get defensive when they get closer together. She's a little crazy (kakarikis are so hyper) and he's a little more laid-back, he's timid so he's getting defensive. But right now he is on a lower perch relaxing, and she finally wore herself out and is sleeping on a perch at the top of the cage. So they are okay at the moment. I think they will get used to each other... Nothing happens overnight which is why I keep her temporary cage directly next to the big one so they are always "together" even when in separate cages when I'm not around to supervise interactions.

But she's doing good and I think I am settling on the name Clover :)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Now that I think of it, Clover is like a four leaf clover which is lucky. Maybe she will be my lucky Kakariki who doesn't die young :( she reminds me of both her brother and sister a lot, but so hey I am going to keep positive and think luck comes in 3's and she's my lucky little clover lol :41:

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
How they die so young do you know???

Tiki was just terminally ill, the vet and I could find no solid leads he was just lethargic and anemic for many months and eventually went. We couldn't figure out what was causing the anemia. It could have been bone marrow or internal bleeding or anything really. Just many drawn out months he was so tired.. Poor thing... Just very tired and not his self anymore.. And then he passed, that was the most difficult death I ever dealt with because I did everything possible to save him and help him and we were REALLY close. We bonded the day I brought him home. It kills me so much. Just wasn't meant to be... :'( it was amazing while it lasted

Cleo's was so sudden, one day she's hopping all over me, next day she's at the bottom half awake. She suffered an injury I believe. They're just so hyper and prone to injury. (Even the new one scares me cause she's crazy hyper, that's just how they are.) but yea The vet even said she was one of the healthiest birds she had seen because of the diet I had her on and how well I care for my birds. She was a happy healthy girl. I miss her too. Didn't have her very long either.

Just bad luck, literally :(

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
She looks like a happy toddler taking a bath, what a sweetheart!

Clover's a good name :)

So I take it you got her from the same breeder?
If that's the case, do you know the rest of the babies died suddenly too? I'm just thinking there could be something wrong genetically?

I'm so sorry for your losses :(

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Now that I think of it, Clover is like a four leaf clover which is lucky. Maybe she will be my lucky Kakariki who doesn't die young :( she reminds me of both her brother and sister a lot, but so hey I am going to keep positive and think luck comes in 3's and she's my lucky little clover lol :41:

That's a terrific name and great sentiments, Valerie!!

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Hi all! Sorry for the delay in updating! One week was my birthday and sister's birthday, one week was out of state, and came back with a week of stomach flu! But I'm back with a few updates I thought I'd share. And I hope you are all doing well!!!!!!

So Clover is about 2 and a half months old now. What a handful she is lol so intensely hyper. She is a funny curious baby! Her eyes are beginning to turn red since she is getting bigger :)

Awh! Already checking her out huh ;)
Good for him age isn't as big of a deal in the bird world...

Will you keep the thread updated with their progress? :)

As for Clover AND Merlin. At first it was rough. My temporary cage was directly next to his cage which was good so that they were endlessly around each other.

Then I began to slowly introduce. (I SUPERVISED EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY WERE TOGETHER. So VERY important.) So Clover loves toys and Merlin has way more since that's the big cage, so she wanted to play with all the toys. But she would beak spar and jump at him to keep Merlin away. Kind of with the mindset of "oh, you're eating that food? No, now I want." Jumps down, kicks out a terrified screaming Merlin. "Oh, you're on that middle perch, well now I am going on it." Chases Merlin off. Anytime she got close to him (even if ignoring him for toys) he screamed cause she was close by and he was nervous. Poor thing. She acts dominant.

Anytime she went after him, I immediately took her out and put her back in the little cage. She wanted the toys in the big cage for sure. She LOVES to play. It was like a timeout for the rest of the day no play with Merlin's toys.

Gradually, I let her explore the big cage for longer amounts of time, still reinforcing the timeout, and reduced it as it got better. Not 100%, but better. She had her first "sleepover" with Merlin and they had a realization that neither went after each other. So that she could tolerate and he could not be afraid. The more timeouts, the more she got upset. She was learning you can stay and play, but you can't try to bite Merlin or chase him. (It's one thing to pass by and make sounds, but it's another when she chases him off in a nasty way).

I was worried they wouldn't work out. Sleepovers increased though. Because at night they are just calm and ready to sleep. No harm done at all. I was finally able to begin less supervision, as there was less fighting and mostly her just chasing him off whatever she wanted without touching him.

Well, this past week Clover officially moved in! She was already spending hours and many nights with him. Less timeouts, barely any. I finally got rid of the temp cage. It was annoying lol. She is happy as a clam with every single toy. Although she still has the baby mindset that everything she looks at is hers, she and Merlin can keep their distance.

Lately they slept on separate perches but Merlin right underneath her perch. Close by. And then last night I was shocked to see this, and took a photo!

Merlin went right up to her to catch some water as well while she took a bath, and she never went after him once. Merlin really tries to slowly come to her to be friends, but she usually just chases him off. So this was a milestone to me. I was so very excited!

So they are officially tolerating each other, I've had 0 safety problems in lots of time now, so since so many days and sleepovers and less timeouts, it was time. She loves her toys. He hangs out wherever, close by. One will stay low, the other high, but they pass each other to switch around with no problems. Just the occasional "well now I want that so you need to move" from Clover to Merlin. But they are very good. :) It is safe for Merlin now. Merlin hardly makes sounds anymore as she passes by. I haven't heard anything from either. He watches her play around the cage, (he usually likes to just hang out somewhere). Mostly just her trying to show off being dominant now.

I think Merlin appreciated me defending his timid self cause he flew out while Clover was out (surprising) and I had to help him down and he let me hold him a bit. (He weirdly matches the colors of my tattoo there on my wrist haha)

So that is my update! Gradually happier, successful days! Happy birds!

:green1::green:

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanks for the update, Valerie! Very nice to hear little Clover is doing so well and getting along with Merlin. I hope all of you have lots of happy years together.

Clover and Merlin are beautiful birds.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi Valerie, glad you're back to feeling better, and thanks for the update! :) I'm so glad the birdies are doing well. I love that birdbath!

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Oh that's great! Do they play more together now? :)
Lol he really does match your tattoo! Didn't it hurt? Sounds pretty painful the get one done on the wrist.

Ugh, I hope you're all better now!
Happy belated birthday! Are you a twin or are your birthdays just close to each other?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for a terrific update Valerie! Clover is beautiful, and you have done a great job acclimating Clover and Merlin!

Most Reactions