My Parrot lets me touch his beak though cage bars but never touch his forehead?

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Mango - Poicephalus Jardine
So whenever I wanna touch or stroke my parrot's head, I get a bite intention. But when he gets his beak out though the cage bars, I can safely touch and stroke his beak. When I go upper to his head, he makes a baby-like voice and gets away.
He's a Jardine, I guess over a year old, not sure. But mature, with the orange marks and everything. Got him like a weak ago, and I can feed him seeds and nuts by hand normally, but he never got out cage although he wants to badly.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Either he doesn't trust you enough to go that far or it's something he doesn't enjoy. Give him time to settle in, work with him, train him and allow him to learn to trust you.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Not all birds like the tops of their heads touched...I know I've never had a budgie who would tolerate it, some parrots like it, others don't. Try sliding your finger just below his beak to his neck and hold it there. If allowed, stroke his neck under his beak.

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
The thing is training him in cage is hard. He always come and go, never stable on one perch! I guess he doesn't trust me yet

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
It's still very early, be very patient. If he lets you touch his beak, then just do that for a while. Let him explore your finger without moving it. Just keep your finger very still, let him get used to it. It helps if you don't move it at first, let him do it. Always talk very softly. Avoid whistling for now. Whistling is an alarm call for birds.

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Avoid whistling for now. Whistling is an alarm call for birds.
:54:My lory loves whistling, she will copy tunes she hears. She loves to do the wolf whistle and will whistle the first half and wait for me to do the second half, and if I just do the first half, then she finishes the second half. Once I had a movie on the tv that was set in Ireland and a man in the movie was whistling a tune... suddenly Sweet Pea stopped playing, looked at the tv and perfectly whistled the tune she heard... I was so amazed! I never knew birds were capable of reciting a long tune after just hearing it once!

So I think whistling is fine as long as it's done softly and is actually a cute little tune.

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Oh well, I don't know how to whistle to, Samsung Galaxy's Wistle message ringtone does its job !

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Oh well, I don't know how to whistle to, Samsung Galaxy's Wistle message ringtone does its job !
Haha! That works! ;) Actually I have learned to whistle so much better since Sweet Pea has been with us, because she loves whistling so much, she encourages me to join in, lol!! She also does this vibrating thing with her tongue and uses her voice along with it. I never got the hang of doing that when I was a kid, but she taught me how to do that too!

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
He even tried to lick my finger, lol! Yesteday I touched his forehead but he just moved away, without trying to bite me. That was good actually!

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
That's good! You are soooo patient! I would probably have tried to hold him by now, but you're doing it the smart way, letting him get used to you slowly. Good progress you are making with him. :)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
The only time Hahnzel wants me touching his head is grooming time. He loves to be scratched under his eyes though.

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
I never tried other places, since if he planned to bite me, he can do it easily. I'll try after I get him out of the cage, but not now, it's too early

Most Reactions