Need toy recommendations for a cockatiel

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello everyone! šŸ‘‹ I have a (almost) 1 year old male cockatiel named Kiko :)

Kiko will turn 1 in November and I wanted to buy some new toys for him. Kiko doesnā€™t really find much interested in store bought toys but he goes crazy over a little piece of paper or toothpick (anything small that he can destroy)

I need some recommendations for toys I can make at home and buy for him. Also, if you live in KW Ontario and know of good pet stores other than petsmart and petvalu for your birds then please let me know!

This next part isnā€™t related to toys but I desperately need help with:

When we got Kiko we bought a pack of wood toys from Amazon and one of the things was a bridge for budgies with a big hollow coconut. Kiko ADORES it. Itā€™s basically his bed bc he jumps on top of it at night and snuggles in for sleep. The coconut used be rough with hairs on it but Kiko has pretty much played and taken all of those out and now his coconut is smooth and pretty worn out. Can someone PLEASE let me know if there is a way I can buy that coconut again but without the bridge so I can replace it with a new one, Or if some how I can use a real coconut and hollow it out? (I have inserted a pic of what Iā€™m talking about.)

If I were to replace the whole bridge with a new one, would he get upset?

Thanks to anyone who replies! šŸ¦¢ šŸ’—
2A9D2635-46D6-4033-A4F9-4B5BA03EA056.jpeg

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

Kiko will turn 1 in November and I wanted to buy some new toys for him. Kiko doesnā€™t really find much interested in store bought toys but he goes crazy over a little piece of paper or toothpick (anything small that he can destroy)

I need some recommendations for toys I can make at home and buy for him. Also, if you live in KW Ontario and know of good pet stores other than petsmart and petvalu for your birds then please let me know!

When we got Kiko we bought a pack of wood toys from Amazon and one of the things was a bridge for budgies with a big hollow coconut. Kiko ADORES it. Itā€™s basically his bed bc he jumps on top of it at night and snuggles in for sleep. The coconut used be rough with hairs on it but Kiko has pretty much played and taken all of those out and now his coconut is smooth and pretty worn out. Can someone PLEASE let me know if there is a way I can buy that coconut again but without the bridge so I can replace it with a new one, Or if some how I can use a real coconut and hollow it out? (I have inserted a pic of what Iā€™m talking about.)

Thanks to anyone who replies! šŸ¦¢ šŸ’— View attachment 44901
Here is a description of that exact coconut on Amazon:
I did not see any info on what type of string is used, but I donā€™t think itā€™s very good.
35F38E1B-8206-4A63-BBF7-84BD479F7151.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I bet you could buy the whole coconut and bridge and he would not notice the difference.

Toys for cockatiels? I would suggest shredders palm leaf strips or corn husks (from corn or from the ethnic supermarket) woven through the cage bats so your cockatiel can preen them.

I also washed and baked sturdy pine cones and glued on a small yarn loop. My birds all like chewing on them. I just used school glue. If youā€™d cockatiel goes to his cage floor you wouldnā€™t even have to make a hanging loop.

I have some anise stars (the whole spice) which I will hang for Jasper and Willow to enjoy. Birds often really like anise flavor.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I bet you could buy the whole coconut and bridge and he would not notice the difference.

Toys for cockatiels? I would suggest shredders palm leaf strips or corn husks (from corn or from the ethnic supermarket) woven through the cage bats so your cockatiel can preen them.

I also washed and baked sturdy pine cones and glued on a small yarn loop. My birds all like chewing on them. I just used school glue. If youā€™d cockatiel goes to his cage floor you wouldnā€™t even have to make a hanging loop.

I have some anise stars (the whole spice) which I will hang for Jasper and Willow to enjoy. Birds often really like anise flavor.
Anise stars are safe for birds? (What about the seeds)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

Thanks to anyone who replies! šŸ¦¢ šŸ’— View attachment 44901
I'm not sure where you live, but I found just the coconut on Amazon Canada:

https://www.amazon.ca/Natural-Hideaway-Decorative-Parakeet-Cockatiels/dp/B074Z393V5?th=1

I also will send you some toy suggestions you can make at home in a PM so I don't hijack the thread:)

Thanks for the mention, @GaleriaGila !

Most Reactions

Latest posts