needs advice just bought a sun conure

MRauhauser

Jun 3, 2013
Coalinga Ca
Parrots
(Apollo) Sun Conure male
I got a 1 yr old sun conure on saturday and got him a really nice cage and I have tried for 5 days now to get him to trust and like me all he does is run away bites hisses and screams what do I do I have tried giving him a bath and drying him off tried giving treats when he bites gently tried putting him on the ground to see if he comes to me to put him in his cage and nothing is working what do I do please help :orange:

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
It's going to take much, much longer than five days. Take is slowly ... talking to him at first while he's in his cage ... leaving the cage door open so he can come out ... after maybe a week, if he doesn't come out on his own, reaching in slowly while you talk gently to him to see if you can maybe touch his foot ... be slow, patient, and gentle. He's a small bird who has been moved and is not part of a flock of other birds, which would be his usual habitat in the wild. Try and place yourself mentally in his position ... you might understand how he feels a bit better, which will really help you to have patience ... and I think he may begin to understand you as well. :green2:

Most Reactions